Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
To me this seems key. I know it is very hard to give the injury full rest. You might want to ask the Doc if the issue is as simple as trying to find ways to avoid even this level of "re-injury".

Maybe doing something like putting a rolled up towel on your sore side could help in avoiding sleeping on it? I've tried this but it didn't help me a lot however my problem was probably different. Also you might want to check your pillow out (proper head position) and maybe even the bed. I've been helped in this regard but it takes trials and patience.

Just some thoughts. Hope you find a cure. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. One big advantage of getting home after months of sleeping on a whole variety of beds is that I love my tempurpedic mattress and pillow.

The rolled up towel is a good idea to try and stop the automatic rollover onto the left during the night. I'll give it a try.

Now that I know the injury is not simply tendonitis I will make extra effort to not raise the arm too high. I played tennis today, right handed, and it took a little getting used to throwing the ball in the air to serve just using a forearm/elbow movement but there was zero pain and I still had my most favorite workout
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Update
Old 10-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #22
Administrator

Update

After 10 days of physical therapy I can report that I am almost completely cured. (Only 3 actual sessions, plus doing the prescribed stretches twice every day).

The key was knowing that the incredibly painful prescribed stretches were the correct thing to do. Without a physio telling me that the pain was good, I would have thought I was doing more damage.

So pleased to have got better so quickly after so many months of pain, and not to need surgery.

No problems in giving up throwing actions, including tennis with that arm, to avoid aggravating the labral tear.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
After 10 days of physical therapy I can report that I am almost completely cured.

That's really great news.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
After 10 days of physical therapy I can report that I am almost completely cured. (Only 3 actual sessions, plus doing the prescribed stretches twice every day).

The key was knowing that the incredibly painful prescribed stretches were the correct thing to do. Without a physio telling me that the pain was good, I would have thought I was doing more damage.

So pleased to have got better so quickly after so many months of pain, and not to need surgery.

No problems in giving up throwing actions, including tennis with that arm, to avoid aggravating the labral tear.
Woo-hoo!!! So glad to hear this! Apparently you have many wonderful tennis games ahead of you.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

If I get tendinosis will I be able to play tennis too?

Amazing that the treatment is so simple yet so effective. And painful, but over soon.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting Alan, that is something that feels non-intuitive. I too would have thought the pain was a signal to back off. I'm sure I would have been a harder patient to work with initially.

Great that you are better!
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #27
Administrator

That's good news. How fortunate you've been able to avoid surgery. Amazing how something so painful can lead to healing so quickly.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #28
Administrator

Thanks folks.

The physio lady spent a good bit of time at the first session with the MRI interpretation from the Doc, and then prodding and moving my arm about before beginning the exercises. It was my confidence in her knowledge that gave me the impetus to push on through the painful deep stretching. By far the most painful is the arm behind the back, hand looped through a belt, and pulling it up as far as you can. (that one still hurts each day when I do it)
Old 10-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Great news, a good P.T. is amazing.

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote