Join Early Retirement Today

Tendonitis...
Old 01-13-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tendonitis...

Ran 14 miles last sunday and really made the tendons in my right ankle well get Pi$$ed that they had to do all of that running.

Yes being Erd lets me really ramp up the exercise. Been running for 40+ years, so this is nothing new. Tends to get into trouble when I really increase my mileage. Ran 64 miles last week with that 14 miler.

Cut back this week to 6 or 7 miles a day this week, still hurts a bit. Love them advil.

Read this interesting article..http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/fa...d89&ei=5087%0A

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Tendonitis...
Old 01-13-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Advil is great stuff(buy more, I have Wyeth stock!)...But rest is the only way to heal tendonitis.....
Maybe you could ride a bike or ski to stay fit..you need to get away from the same activity that caused the problem.
Enjoy your freedom! At three weeks you are still a "newbee" and subject to frequent outbursts!

Old 01-13-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
Ran 14 miles last sunday and really made the tendons in my right ankle well get Pi$$ed that they had to do all of that running.

Yes being Erd lets me really ramp up the exercise. Been running for 40+ years, so this is nothing new. Tends to get into trouble when I really increase my mileage. Ran 64 miles last week with that 14 miler.
You must really like running.

Ha
Old 01-13-2007, 09:12 PM   #4

... and sometimes surgery can make a big difference. I had bad tendonitis for years in both shoulders then had surgery to shave off bone ridges and I'm back to how I was 10+ years ago, including playing tennis. Surgery should be a last resort of course. I beat up my shoulders over 20+ years being a soccer goal keeper
Old 01-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
I beat up my shoulders over 20+ years being a soccer goal keeper
That's understandable-- I thought you were supposed to use your hands!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
That's understandable-- I thought you were supposed to use your hands!
Unfortunately, hanging onto the ball with both hands makes hitting the ground more difficult ... plus I played a lot of indoor soccer as well, so the floor was harder than the grass
Old 01-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Make use of the anti inflammatory products BEFORE the exercise rather than after. It helps. When I skied, taking an alleve beforehand made all the world of difference vs taking one after the fact.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
Make use of the anti inflammatory products BEFORE the exercise rather than after. It helps. When I skied, taking an alleve beforehand made all the world of difference vs taking one after the fact.
Oh yes indeed. I do that often before a long run.

Ran 8 miles today much less pain. Just walked about 2 with my friend, feels pretty good, the beer does seem to help right now. Thinking of 600 mgs of advil.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Oh yes indeed. I do that often before a long run.

Ran 8 miles today much less pain. Just walked about 2 with my friend, feels pretty good, the beer does seem to help right now. Thinking of 600 mgs of advil.
ditto, and if I am going to be drinking or have been drinking then I use ibuprofein otherwise tylenol.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:17 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Oh yes...never, ever take tylenol with booze, if you value your liver.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:46 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

My suggestion for the long run (pun intended) is cut the running in half and spend the rest of the time at the gym/club doing weight bearing exercises.

Have a steambath or sauna afterwards to keep everything loose!
Old 01-15-2007, 10:55 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Cut back this week to 6 or 7 miles a day this week, still hurts a bit. Love them advil.

Read this interesting article..http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/fa...d89&ei=5087%0A
Any biomechanical problems causing the pain? Or "old war injuries"...........from other sports? I still have a calcium deposit on my neck from all the high jumping I did in high school and college............. :P :P :P

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:57 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

A cold beer is great for tendonitis.First use the can to ice down the injury and then drink contents!
Old 01-15-2007, 01:01 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Zipper has a point. Thinking back to some historical tendinitis problems, I was able to reduce or eliminate them by employing weight training to the specific area and doing stretching exercises.

I might also suggest mixing in some rollerblading or similar exercise for part of the running. Worked wonders for my flaky knees and lower back.

The old "doctor it hurts when I do this"..."Dont do that".
Old 01-15-2007, 01:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Any biomechanical problems causing the pain? Or "old war injuries"...........from other sports? I still have a calcium deposit on my neck from all the high jumping I did in high school and college............. :P :P :P
I seem to get into trouble when I go over a certain amount of miles a week.75 miles is max right now. It seems as though 14 miles is about my max for daily runs right now. Had been up around 18 last year before the last marathon I ran. But it was so darn nice that day that the miles were just enjoyable.

Today went 9 and have little pain. looks as though the swelling is almost gone. been iced nice after the workouts. Yes I do end up with weights after runs 2X per week.

Just got back from kayaking about an hour.

The problem is always in the right ankle, same side as my partially torn acl in that knee. There is probably a tendency to have problems due to the knee.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I seem to get into trouble when I go over a certain amount of miles a week.75 miles is max right now. It seems as though 14 miles is about my max for daily runs right now. Had been up around 18 last year before the last marathon I ran. But it was so darn nice that day that the miles were just enjoyable.

Today went 9 and have little pain. looks as though the swelling is almost gone. been iced nice after the workouts. Yes I do end up with weights after runs 2X per week.

Just got back from kayaking about an hour.

The problem is always in the right ankle, same side as my partially torn acl in that knee. There is probably a tendency to have problems due to the knee.
Probably the knee is causing the ankle to take on a bigger load. I remember the FIRST thing the athletic training folks did to us when we had a lower leg injury (after the swelling went down) was work with a balance board to strengthen the muscles to help stabilize the knee...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:49 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I would like to run but the few times I tried I ran into serious joint problems - swelling at the ankles, sore knees and hips. The GW University sports medicine clinic had all kinds of convoluted suggestions about pre-warming and post-chilling (or vice versus). My conclusion is that running is simply bad for some of us. When the weather is nice I ride a bike or roller blade. Roller blading is a lot of fun and good exercise although possibly a shade more risky than running. I also follow zipper's suggestion and use the gym to mix in weights and a turn on the eliptical trainer if the weather isn't great.