Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 01:03 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post

Thank goodness for head rests. Without it you would have had a broken neck or worse going through the rear window. I would strongly suggest an extended cab for your next truck.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2017, 01:34 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Well maybe. What if you were texting? Who's to say exactly what time an accident occurred? Do the PD even request them for a routine accident? Can they?
Yes, they can. Well, the district attorney's office can get the records. I think it is only done for serious crimes like homicide. I know this.

They can tell date, time, sending phone, receiving phone, which antenna on which tower the phone was connected to (tells direction from the tower). Some carriers even save the content of the text. This is used quite a lot to determine where people have traveled while their phone was on. For calls, in addition to the standard data, they have call duration of call, and if the phone was in motion, tower info (tower id, and which antenna on that tower) for all towers used for the call. Typically, the information is requested for both phones (the sending phone and the receiving phone).
Old 02-20-2017, 07:14 AM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
Thank goodness for head rests. Without it you would have had a broken neck or worse going through the rear window. I would strongly suggest an extended cab for your next truck.
Nope, no headrest. No airbags either. I broke the rear window with my noggin
Old 02-20-2017, 07:42 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Nope, no headrest. No airbags either. I broke the rear window with my noggin
It appeared to be a later model truck. Did it come with a head rest and you removed it? My 92 Toyota pick up came with head rests.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:17 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
It appeared to be a later model truck. Did it come with a head rest and you removed it? My 92 Toyota pick up came with head rests.
It's a 91 Chevy pickup. Not sure if the bench seat was original or not but nope, no headrest.

I remember my 91 4runner did have headrests.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post

I've noticed far less motorcycles on the road in the last few years around here, wonder if others are coming to the same conclusions.
At least there are some pros.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:45 AM   #87

Update: Eight months after the collision I've recovered physically but am still suffering from sleep disorders and various other post-concussion symptoms.

The other driver was found at fault and his insurance has been cherry-picking the payment of my medical bills. Got a call from my personal injury lawyer saying that he received a check for the balance of the $25k Bodily Injury Limit from the other party's insurance.

Only $25k in Bodily Injury coverage - how is that even legal. The at fault driver has little or no assets.

My lawyer is recommending that we go after my insurance, Geico, for medical and pain and suffering claim under the UnderInsured Motorist coverage. Wish me luck.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Update: Eight months after the collision I've recovered physically but am still suffering from sleep disorders and various other post-concussion symptoms.

The other driver was found at fault and his insurance has been cherry-picking the payment of my medical bills. Got a call from my personal injury lawyer saying that he received a check for the balance of the $25k Bodily Injury Limit from the other party's insurance.

Only $25k in Bodily Injury coverage - how is that even legal. The at fault driver has little or no assets.

My lawyer is recommending that we go after my insurance, Geico, for medical and pain and suffering claim under the UnderInsured Motorist coverage. Wish me luck.
Good luck to you.

Ha
Old 10-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #89

Sending positive healing thoughts and wishes your way. This post made me cringe. All it takes is 2 seconds for someone to look away and be unaware of anything unexpected. The deer in Michigan used to freak me out and I learned to lay on the horn when I saw them. They make a U turn when they hear a horn. My mom etched into my brain the phrase "watch out for the other guy" every single time (practically) we drove together.

One never knows, I don't care how cautious you are driving. I always turn my head when I change lanes. Get the heck out of the way of semis. They do not break well. We used to live i Michigan. Highway 131 goes NS and gets lake effect snow and fog near Kalamazoo, 30, 40, 50 car pile ups in the fog, yes! Many deaths, many injuries because fog is deadly. Lake effect snow appears out of nowhere. You can have a sunny normal winter day and suddenly thick heavy snow and slippery conditions in a matter of minutes.

My heart goes out to you. An accident like that is difficult to get over. Talk about it often. That may help you sleep. I keep thinking about that ignorant SOB who just had to text something probably stupid.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 10-12-2017, 09:23 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
My mom etched into my brain the phrase "watch out for the other guy"
With regards to driving, my 7+ years in Riyadh served me in good stead......I always drive with the presumption that everyone else on the road is trying to kill me.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 10-12-2017, 09:31 AM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

I average less than 3500 miles on my car. Part of the reason I drive so little is that driving is no fun any more, because other drivers drive so dangerously.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:00 AM   #92
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Good luck to you.

Ha
+1

In the last 12 months both my BIL and his niece were rear ended by distracted drivers. He was stopped at a red light, she at a pedestrian crossing. BIL has spina bifida and it has taken many months for him to get back to the point of being able to walk again without use of a walking stick.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Glad to read you are healing. It is unfortunate for you that the other driver had only minimum limits, 25/50, (25k per claim, 50k per accident). But that minimum limit is pretty common across states, from my years working with personal auto insurance. Good thing you have Underinsured Motorists (UIM) coverage. That's why you have the coverage, for instances like this. UIM can vary from state to state the way it provides coverage. Your lawyer will know how it works in your state (he should). I wish you luck.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 10-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

Just wondering, how old is the at fault driver ?
After all in 5 years he might have a good job and be able to afford to pay $xx per year to work off a judgement. ?
Old 10-12-2017, 03:09 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.... My lawyer is recommending that we go after my insurance, Geico, for medical and pain and suffering claim under the UnderInsured Motorist coverage. Wish me luck.
Makes sense.... that is why you buy UI coverage.... file a claim.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 10-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #96

The at-fault driver is in his mid-thirties I would guess.

Yep, moving forward with filing a claim with the gecko. They better threat me right too or I'll dump all (one share) of my Berkhsire (class B) stock
Old 10-15-2017, 02:26 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
National news is just reporting today on how driving deaths are way up, with texting and cell phone use a prime cause.
In my county, distracted driving surpassed DUI in terms of fatal and serious injury accidents a couple of years ago. I stopped riding my bicycle on public streets because of cell phone users. I have seen too many of them drifting side to side into the bike lane/shoulder.

My wife would like to mount a rocket launcher on my SUV to take out the texters but that might be a little harsh and I'm not sure I'd be able to get the car into the garage.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:34 PM   #98

That is why it is important to give yourself a lot of distance between you and the next car if you want to text. Probably double of what is considered safe.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 10-15-2017, 04:13 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
That is why it is important to give yourself a lot of distance between you and the next car if you want to text. Probably double of what is considered safe.
Brilliant.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

I hope you’re joking. When I see someone doing this, it makes my blood boil. Not only are they mucking up traffic, but endangering everyone else around them.
Closed Thread