The case for and against CCRCs

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Here's the suggested advice source:
https://www.kiplinger.com/article/retirement/T037-C000-S000-risks-and-rewards-of-moving-to-a-ccrc.html

Since this will eventually be a choice for many retirees, understanding the pros and cons will be important. The article may be somewhat negative. The points that it brings up are valid, and should be understood, before even considering this as a later life option.
................................................................................................
That said, my own experience has been excellent... surpassing our best expectations.
CCRC's are in a state of change, with more recent entries into the scene, more like ours... with regular homes, and a stepped change to apartments, rehab units, assisted living, nursing home and memory care (Alzheimers) units.

We are completely happy with our choice, the cost, the services, and the prospects for the future. With an almost new freestanding home, and a natural transfer to whatever part of the CCRC our future health dictates, we have no regrets.

My personal thinking is that this is the way of the future, and that we are in a transitional period, where finding the right kind of continuing care is more a matter of research, than of selecting between multiple offerings.

If this kind of choice could possibly be in your future, may I suggest that reading the Kiplinger article would be time well spent. While the overall viewpoint tends to be negative, comparing our own CCRC, I find that almost every negative has been resolved. Costs, Legal Issues, future expectations and overall satisfaction... all of these points are not issues in our case.

This is a social option in transition. Being prepared for the newer, better offerings could be important, even though that may seem far in the future.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom