Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
I still have to go back to Bill Clinton, (who most would agree is a pretty smart guy) who has access to the best medical advice money and fame can buy has chosen a 'Vegan' diet to treat his CAD. Looks like he also lost some weight in the process.
He also had the best political advice that money, power, and fame could buy, and still chose to have an affair with a moderately nice looking woman that nearly derailed his presidency. I'm not basing my decisions on his judgement. Plus, I susect he has a highly paid chef and kitchen staff preparing those veggies into a delicious and non-repetitive form. Vegan or vegetarian fare in real life can be hard to keep interesting and yummy in real life, especially over a long period. Not impossible, but hard.

Regarding the comments about whether the Ornish or LCHF diet is best for dealing with CHD or not, I would just like to point out that even if the Ornish diet is better for CHD, there is a lot more to health than just CHD. As a diabetic, heart failure might be a blessing compared to the long, drawn out, and miserable advance of diabetes. Weight loss and low carb has a direct and measurable positive effect on blood sugar levels. It's easy to see and easy to track. I'll take that over a theoretical argument about which diet is best for general health anytime.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Honestly, I truly love all you guys/gals, but I call UNCLE! I want nothing but good health, long life and happiness for everyone here....

oh, BTW...BACON!!!

Bacon Coffin lets bacon lovers die AND go to Heaven | KING5.com Seattle
Old 03-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Me and the dog had already decided on cremation or we would be putting deposits down on a matching set of the bacon coffins right now. The dogs new favorite word is "BACON!!!!". Anyone want me to post my Fatty recipe? It is really tasty.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
The real test will take about 6 months - do I stay with it or drift back to my bad habits?
I'm just glad that protein bars come in both chocolate and peanut butter flavors.

And I'm glad that dark chocolate has been declared healthy again. Looks like I'm ahead of the science...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Heat Surgeon Changes his viewpoint
Old 04-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #85
gone traveling

Heat Surgeon Changes his viewpoint

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/24...-Heart-Disease

The entire article is interesting and worth a read, but if your looking for studies to reference you can stop right now. In part:

"Simply stated, without inflammation being present in the body, there is no way that cholesterol would accumulate in the wall of the blood vessel and cause heart disease and strokes. Without inflammation, cholesterol would move freely throughout the body as nature intended. It is inflammation that causes cholesterol to become trapped.

Inflammation is not complicated -- it is quite simply your body's natural defence to a foreign invader such as a bacteria, toxin or virus. The cycle of inflammation is perfect in how it protects your body from these bacterial and viral invaders. However, if we chronically expose the body to injury by toxins or foods the human body was never designed to process,a condition occurs called chronic inflammation. Chronic inflammation is just as harmful as acute inflammation is beneficial.

What thoughtful person would willfully expose himself repeatedly to foods or other substances that are known to cause injury to the body? Well, smokers perhaps, but at least they made that choice willfully.

The rest of us have simply followed the recommended mainstream diet that is low in fat and high in polyunsaturated fats and carbohydrates, not knowing we were causing repeated injury to our blood vessels. This repeated injury creates chronic inflammation leading to heart disease, stroke, diabetes and obesity.

Let me repeat that: The injury and inflammation in our blood vessels is caused by the low fat diet recommended for years by mainstream medicine.

What are the biggest culprits of chronic inflammation? Quite simply, they are the overload of simple, highly processed carbohydrates (sugar, flour and all the products made from them) and the excess consumption of omega-6 vegetable oils like soybean, corn and sunflower that are found in many processed foods. "
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
What are the biggest culprits of chronic inflammation? Quite simply, they are the overload of simple, highly processed carbohydrates (sugar, flour and all the products made from them) and the excess consumption of omega-6 vegetable oils like soybean, corn and sunflower that are found in many processed foods. "
Just to be clear, he is of the belief that inflammation is what captures/causes the accumulation of Cholesterol and causes CHD. Not high cholesterol in and of itself.

His statement, "Let me repeat that: The injury and inflammation in our blood vessels is caused by the low fat diet recommended for years by mainstream medicine." I don't think that we can or should interpret this to mean that low fat diet is wrong in his eyes. He is saying that blindly following the low-fat diet by buying and consuming highly processes low-fat foods is causing the inflammation.

To be clear, he is not advocating LCHF diet...The following quote is also from the article you referenced...[just so we don't represent his recommendations as something they are not . Emphasis mine]

Quote:
"There is no escaping the fact that the more we consume prepared and processed foods, the more we trip the inflammation switch little by little each day. The human body cannot process, nor was it designed to consume, foods packed with sugars and soaked in omega-6 oils.

There is but one answer to quieting inflammation, and that is returning to foods closer to their natural state. To build muscle, eat more protein. Choose carbohydrates that are very complex such as colorful fruits and vegetables. Cut down on or eliminate inflammation- causing omega-6 fats like corn and soybean oil and the processed foods that are made from them.

What you can do is choose whole foods your grandmother served and not those your mom turned to as grocery store aisles filled with manufactured foods. By eliminating inflammatory foods and adding essential nutrients from fresh unprocessed food, you will reverse years of damage in your arteries and throughout your body from consuming the typical American diet. "
Old 04-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

I called uncle and that still stands.

I read Good Calories, Bad Calories this weekend. Very interesting read. I don't buy that LCHF is the solution, but it has evolved my thinking and re-directed my own research. Don't have the answers yet and may not, but thanks for pointing me at the book.

Interestingly, after reading the book, I started looking into the premise put forth. To wit: obesity is caused by a regulatory defect in fat metabolism, insulin plays a primary role in the fattening process and carb consumption drives insulin production.

As a result, you may find this interesting:

Whole Health Source: The Carbohydrate Hypothesis of Obesity: a Critical Examination

By the way, this author is a Paleo diet fan, which is very close to Atkins as I understand (without much research)...
Old 04-02-2012, 12:48 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by REattempt View Post

To be clear, he is not advocating LCHF diet...The following quote is also from the article you referenced...[just so we don't represent his recommendations as something they are not . Emphasis mine]
He is in fact advocating the LCHF diet I know. His one answer to quieting inflammation by returning to real food like our grandmas made and cutting out processed foods and omega 3 fats and limiting carbs to some of the complex ones is amazingly similar to the Swedish "Dietdoctors" LCHF diet. I think you are trying to warn us about a diet that you do not know enough about.

LCHF for beginners | Dietdoctor.com (link is to the DietDoctor LCHF diet)

I am not prepared to claim that I am sure that this LCHF diet is the very best diet for weight control and cardiac health but it is a diet that actually works for those purposes. More importantly this diet works for people who have failed at other diets because people can more easily stick with this diet. For me almost entirely cutting out sugar and processed foods and omega 3 fats is easy. The decision on how much to cut back on the better natural carbs like beans and rice and fresh fruit is not quite as easy.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #89
gone traveling

Quote:
Just to be clear, he is of the belief that inflammation is what captures/causes the accumulation of Cholesterol and causes CHD. Not high cholesterol in and of itself.

His statement, "Let me repeat that: The injury and inflammation in our blood vessels is caused by the low fat diet recommended for years by mainstream medicine." I don't think that we can or should interpret this to mean that low fat diet is wrong in his eyes. He is saying that blindly following the low-fat diet by buying and consuming highly processes low-fat foods is causing the inflammation.

Just to be clear, where in my post did I claim he was advocating a LCHF diet For someone who called uncle you seem kind of defensive to me.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I called uncle and that still stands.

I read Good Calories, Bad Calories this weekend. Very interesting read. I don't buy that LCHF is the solution, but it has evolved my thinking and re-directed my own research. Don't have the answers yet and may not, but thanks for pointing me at the book.

Interestingly, after reading the book, I started looking into the premise put forth. To wit: obesity is caused by a regulatory defect in fat metabolism, insulin plays a primary role in the fattening process and carb consumption drives insulin production.

As a result, you may find this interesting:

Whole Health Source: The Carbohydrate Hypothesis of Obesity: a Critical Examination

By the way, this author is a Paleo diet fan, which is very close to Atkins as I understand (without much research)...
Don't bow completely out of the discussion. The back and forth is valuable since, lets face it, none of us know for sure what the answers are. It appears the entire medical establishment got it wrong for half a century so assuming we figured it out in a couple of evenings is the height of hubris. In any event, I am enjoying the readings and will take a look at the two books you referenced (provided they are available free from the library - I have my standards after all)

Here is another one to add to the list:

The Blood Sugar Solution, by Mark Hyman, MD. Quite interesting and, again, death on sugars and refined carbs, about which he marshals some good science. This guy seems close to the Ornish approach although he is not very clear about why the need to limit fat. He also sounds a bit more moderate in his preference for avoiding meat. And his aversion to fake sweetners doesn't cite any research IIRC just speculation that the sweetness will trigger cravings for more food (thus more calories). Anecdotaly, I haven't experienced that in my vast 1 1/2 weeks experience.

Sanjay Gupta joined the fray on 60 minutes last night with a new study that demonstrates the horrible impact of sugar. A group in CA did a highly controlled study with a group who were kept in captivity under observation to make sure they couldn't sneak out and break their diets. They were fed a low card diet for a week to get their base blood level measures and then split into high sugar and low sugar groups and measured after two weeks. The high sugar group was floating in the nasty cholesterol particles so worrisome for CHD. The study did not appear to address fat - just sugars/carbs. I suspect the fat side would be a much longer proposition and unlikely to be tested.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

I read the Whole Health Source article by Dr. Guyenet. Pretty good. I also read some of Taubes' stuff on his blog. Also good. They seem to both be interested in science not self defense. I added Guyenet's and Taubes' blogs to my RSS reader so I can observe the back and forth as it develops

The only firm take away I have so far is that reducing sugar and refined carbs is definitely good. The jury seems to be out on a lot of other hypothesis (e.g. get rid of complex carbs too, get rid of fat, get rid of meat, or vice versus). In any event, I just returned from the gym and am down another pound to 175. Still sticking with relatively LCHF (not radical at all) and still not having any hunger issues.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Don't bow completely out of the discussion. The back and forth is valuable since, lets face it, none of us know for sure what the answers are. It appears the entire medical establishment got it wrong for half a century so assuming we figured it out in a couple of evenings is the height of hubris.
This is where I have trouble with one aspect of internet boards. How is one person who knows a limited amount about some topic, which may or may not even be correct, going to learn anything by arguing with another person possessing the same faulty or limited knowledge?

It seems likely to me that one's time might be better spent reading papers, listening to podcasts and reading observations by experts who are actually scientists working in the field, or as in the case of the Swede, or Mary Vernon or some other practicing MDs (non-scientists) who have a great deal of clinical experience.
There will be plenty controversy right there, and plenty need to judge to what extent marketing affects their statements.

To me, getting entangled in one of these "discussions" is just proof that one doesn't have much confidence yet in any position, hence the attempt to convince oneself by convincing others.

Ha
Old 04-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Just to be clear, where in my post did I claim he was advocating a LCHF diet For someone who called uncle you seem kind of defensive to me.
You didn't, the doctor did (from your post): "Let me repeat that: The injury and inflammation in our blood vessels is caused by the low fat diet recommended for years by mainstream medicine." My interpretation is that this is advocacy of a LCHF.

That is why I was careful to use "we" when I made my statement. I'm happy to jump in the boat! I'm sorry that it came out the wrong way.... wasn't my intent.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This is where I have trouble with one aspect of internet boards. How is one person who knows a limited amount about some topic, which may or may not even be correct, going to learn anything by arguing with another person possessing the same faulty or limited knowledge?

It seems likely to me that one's time might be better spent reading papers, listening to podcasts and reading observations by experts who are actually scientists working in the field, or as in the case of the Swede, or Mary Vernon or some other practicing MDs (non-scientists) who have a great deal of clinical experience.
There will be plenty controversy right there, and plenty need to judge to what extent marketing affects their statements.

To me, getting entangled in one of these "discussions" is just proof that one doesn't have much confidence yet in any position, hence the attempt to convince oneself by convincing others.

Ha
Maybe. But I like hearing what other people have to say. And it often leads me to interesting technical references as was the case with this thread. Same thing happened with investing -- I was in a bunch of managed funds when I stumbled on this site but discussion and references I read here led me to books and articles that swung me in a different direction I am very happy with.

I agree that the vociferous, defend our position, arguments are not valuable but a lot of people simply like to argue so if you can take all that lightly it is still fun. You obviously are capable of that since you follow lots of low content/high volume threads and drop in a pithy comment or two.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You obviously are capable of that since you follow lots of low content/high volume threads and drop in a pithy comment or two.
Oh-oh, caught. I would like to go cold turkey on that stuff (including my comments) but I have not yet been able to pull it off. It's harder than exercising everyday, harder than taking my vitamins, harder than watching my weight.

Ha
Old 04-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post

LCHF for beginners | Dietdoctor.com (link is to the DietDoctor LCHF diet)

For me almost entirely cutting out sugar and processed foods and omega 3 fats is easy. The decision on how much to cut back on the better natural carbs like beans and rice and fresh fruit is not quite as easy.
JC, this post threw me for a loop. Everything I'm reading is saying to cut out the Omega 6 and shift to omega 3. Even the article you quoted says reduce omega 6. Was this a typo or did you truly mean cutting out omega 3s? If so, why? Thanks.

+++1 on "The decision on how much to cut back on the better natural carbs..." This is exactly where I'm at...on the other side. I think fats (the right ones), fish and meats in the right portions, nuts, eggs etc. are good for me, I'm just not sure how much to add them back to the diet.

and Oh, BTW, I forgot...BACON!
Old 04-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #97

Quote:
JC, this post threw me for a loop. Everything I'm reading is saying to cut out the Omega 6 and shift to omega 3. Even the article you quoted says reduce omega 6. Was this a typo or did you truly mean cutting out omega 3s? If so, why? Thanks.

+++1 on "The decision on how much to cut back on the better natural carbs..." This is exactly where I'm at...on the other side. I think fats (the right ones), fish and meats in the right portions, nuts, eggs etc. are good for me, I'm just not sure how much to add them back to the diet.

and Oh, BTW, I forgot...BACON!
Oops, my bad, it was either a typo or a senior moment on the omega fat numbers.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #98
gone traveling

Quote:
You didn't, the doctor did (from your post): "Let me repeat that: The injury and inflammation in our blood vessels is caused by the low fat diet recommended for years by mainstream medicine." My interpretation is that this is advocacy of a LCHF.

That is why I was careful to use "we" when I made my statement. I'm happy to jump in the boat! I'm sorry that it came out the wrong way.... wasn't my intent.
OK, got ya, no problem and like the others said, the debate is good so don't bow out.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Are you saying that it has laxative properties?
Uh no, but this forum is pretty opiniated, and full of those who believe that food companies are full of chemist cooking up witch doctor-like potions in a cauldron all the while counting their stock options..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #100
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Uh no, but this forum is pretty opiniated, and full of those who believe that food companies are full of chemist cooking up witch doctor-like potions in a cauldron all the while counting their stock options..........
Yeah, but its those finance dudes in those food companies that are driving the chemists to do it