Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Should fats, eaten for millions of years, be innocent until proven guilty?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I don't think so, I think healthy skepticism of all food we eat is reasonable.

Many things were believed to be true for millions of years. It is only through questioning them that we learn.

"That's the way we've always done it."

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This sort of dangerous thinking could severely cripple discussion boards.

Ha
Old 04-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50

I don't think so, I think healthy skepticism of all food we eat is reasonable.

Many things were believed to be true for millions of years. It is only through questioning them that we learn.

"That's the way we've always done it."

-ERD50
Then I need some randomized, controlled studies on the safety of water.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here's my point, which I was trying to make in a concise way, since I was posting on my iPod touch.

Remember that I was a low-fat whole grains guy for many years. Then I was convinced that carbs were a problem, but still wary of fat. I felt that fat was OK only in that it let you eat less carbs.

Then, I had a revelation. What if there really is no good evidence that fat is bad for you? Just consider that for a moment. Imagine that Ancel Keys had never misinterpreted the WWII rationing study or the 7 countries study, and we had never gotten on this anti-fat bandwagon.

In that world, no one would think twice about eating fat.

Yes, healthy skepticism is good, but remember, you have to eat something. So until fat is proven to be bad, you shouldn't avoid it. To continue the legal theme, you have to go with the preponderance of the evidence.

My take is that the evidence against sugars and whole grains is stronger than the evidence against fat.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Obviously a bogus argument. The earth is only six thousand years old.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #107
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Humans have canine teeth. Unless you want to argue that they evolved to break up and tear extremely tough vegetables, meat seems to be the next logical fodder. Fat is usu. attached. That does not prove anything about whether fat is good or bad, but fat has lots of useful energy.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
Humans have canine teeth. Unless you want to argue that they evolved to break up and tear extremely tough vegetables, meat seems to be the next logical fodder. Fat is usu. attached. That does not prove anything about whether fat is good or bad, but fat has lots of useful energy.
I have my doubt that any non-meat beyond leaves and the above ground parts of plants were eaten in the cold climates before the discovery of fire. Ever dug up a Camas root? Eating these things raw would soon wear out your teeth, if it didn't poison you.

Ha
Old 04-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I have my doubt that any non-meat beyond leaves and the above ground parts of plants were eaten in the cold climates before the discovery of fire. Ever dug up a Camas root? Eating these things raw would soon wear out your teeth, if it didn't poison you.

Ha
Once I heard the term "Death Camas" I dropped any inclination to try it...cooked or otherwise. Huckleberries are close enough to "reenactment" for me, plus they taste good.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here's my point, which I was trying to make in a concise way, since I was posting on my iPod touch.

Remember that I was a low-fat whole grains guy for many years. Then I was convinced that carbs were a problem, but still wary of fat. I felt that fat was OK only in that it let you eat less carbs.

Then, I had a revelation. What if there really is no good evidence that fat is bad for you? Just consider that for a moment. Imagine that Ancel Keys had never misinterpreted the WWII rationing study or the 7 countries study, and we had never gotten on this anti-fat bandwagon.

In that world, no one would think twice about eating fat.

Yes, healthy skepticism is good, but remember, you have to eat something. So until fat is proven to be bad, you shouldn't avoid it. To continue the legal theme, you have to go with the preponderance of the evidence.

My take is that the evidence against sugars and whole grains is stronger than the evidence against fat.

I think the problem with this is that man was not really have a concern for healthy eating until recently... the average age of man even 1,000 years ago was not that old... heck, almost everybody posting on this board would have been dead... was it because of fat or something else.... who knows for sure...

I think fat, and I am going to say meat for this, was eaten by early man is it has a lot of calories by weight and you can hunt for it easily...

On a side note, I just watched the report on 60 minutes about sugar.... it was interesting... one thing that I learned is that there is nothing on earth that has fructose in it is poisonous to us.... which is why we crave sugar...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
On a side note, I just watched the report on 60 minutes about sugar.... it was interesting... one thing that I learned is that there is nothing on earth that has fructose in it is poisonous to us.... which is why we crave sugar...
This is an interesting idea, but I have doubts. Some wild poisonous berries at least smell sweet, and that may inciate the presence of fructose. Anyway, did primitive man carry around a chem lab?

Ha
Old 04-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This is an interesting idea, but I have doubts. Some wild poisonous berries at least smell sweet, and that may inciate the presence of fructose. Anyway, did primitive man carry around a chem lab?

Ha
Just passing on what I heard... but I would say that smelling sweet and tasting sweet are two different things... and even tasting sweet and having fructose in it might be something different... but you still did not disprove the statement...

Plus, when you see the guy who ate that berry first keel over dead, you will probably leave it alone.... I guess that was their chem lab....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Water is a good example of something that science has been skeptical of. A few hundred years ago, sanitation issues with water were identified as a cause of disease.

And before science, people learned that they were better off drinking beer or rum than bad water.

Steps were taken to assure our water was clean, and that included mechanical, chemical, heat and UV treatment. Along the way, each was tested for safety.

I've never suggested anyone eliminate things from their diet that we've eaten for a million years, unless we have clear evidence of harm. So I don't even know why you would present that non sequitur?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #114

Quote:
I quit drinking water when I realized that it is the only place that fish have to fornicate.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Just passing on what I heard... but I would say that smelling sweet and tasting sweet are two different things... and even tasting sweet and having fructose in it might be something different... but you still did not disprove the statement...

Oh, I realize that. I have no chem lab, no do I want to test the claim by tasting.

Ha
Old 04-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud

I think the problem with this is that man was not really have a concern for healthy eating until recently... the average age of man even 1,000 years ago was not that old... heck, almost everybody posting on this board would have been dead... was it because of fat or something else.... who knows for sure...

I think fat, and I am going to say meat for this, was eaten by early man is it has a lot of calories by weight and you can hunt for it easily...
I used to argue that early man only lived to be 30 or so, so things that would cause him CVDor other problems when he was 60 were irrelevant. I've changed my thinking a bit, having read that although the average lifespan of man then was short, a significant number of prehistoric men did indeed live to 60 or more years of age, and they had value to the society (and to man's survival).
Old 04-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I used to argue that early man only lived to be 30 or so, so things that would cause him CVDor other problems when he was 60 were irrelevant. I've changed my thinking a bit, having read that although the average lifespan of man then was short, a significant number of prehistoric men did indeed live to 60 or more years of age, and they had value to the society (and to man's survival).
Based on what I understand about advances in medicine during the early 20th century is that the rise of sanitation, medicines (particularly anti-biotics), safety awareness, rise of communication and education had a big impact on causes of death. In 1900, the biggest causes of death were:

Pneumonia (all forms) and influenza----40,362
Tuberculosis (all forms) ---------------38,820
Diarrhea, enteritis, and ulceration of the intestines------ 28,491
Diseases of the heart ----------------- 27,427
Intracranial lesions of vascular origin ---21,353
Nephritis (all forms) -------------------17,699
All accidents --------------------------14,429
Cancer and other malignant tumors ----12,769
Senility-------------------------------10,015
Diphtheria-----------------------------8,056

Reference here from CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/lead1900_98.pdf

BTW, be careful with the most recent list. My understanding is that things like Pneumonia and influenza that are still on the list, are no longer due to not being able to address it early in life, but that many people who die older in age actually are classified as Pneu & Influenze because they are bed ridden and have fluid build-up in the lung and/or are older with a decreased ability to fight influenza.

Obviously our understanding and classification changed over time, so there may be some things that actually are "cancers"...however, it is obvious to me that the issues of CHD and Cancers becoming center stage and our longevity increasing is that we vastly reduced the major INFECTIOUS diseases that killed people early, allowing people to live longer and exposing or elevating those things that kill us later in life...CHRONIC disease.

I'm interested what happens when if/when we solve major chronic disease [with LCHF diets ]...

Oh, BTW...BACON!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #118
gone traveling

I am not sure what the value is in comparing caveman diets to what we eat today. Heck, meats are now ladden with hormones and who knows what and fruits and veggies have been treated with pesticides/fertilizers/etc and then you have all the highly processed foods.

I still believe that some diets may be better suited for particular individuals based on their body composition, metabolism and underlying medical conditions vs one diet is best for everyone. Actually, diet is probably the wrong term to use, nutrition plan seems better.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
I quit drinking water when I realized that it is the only place that fish have to fornicate.
... and defecate...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets

And here's another article debunking the China Study from an independent source. It is from a non-profit foundation "dedicated to restoring nutrient-dense foods to the human diet through education, research and activism." Translation, not in bed with any industries.
http://www.westonaprice.org/vegetarianism-and-plant-foods/the-china-study-myth
web_diva is offline   Reply With Quote