Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

So, do I go through the bother of switching to a new doctor? Do I not worry about what he's going to think?
DW finally "fired" her internist. The lady would come in with a lap top and ask questions. I don't think she ever TOUCHED DW!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's in 3 visits. Instead, she took DW's word about her "complaints" and sent her to someone else. $$ChaCHING!$$

I certainly wouldn't worry about what your doc will think. You would do him a favor by being honest why you are "firing" him, but I don't see myself doing that to a friend.

If this doctor will ALLOW you to be your own ADVOCATE, then maybe you can put up with some "incompetence". I put that in quotes, because it may actually be that he is in a hurry as most docs seem to be these days. They want you to come in to fix one "broken" thing. Actual "physicals" are a joke unless you advocate for yourself. Listen to your heart and "on your way"!

Oh, and good luck finding anyone any better. I'm sure they are out there, but you have just as much chance finding one who is not as good. Can't advise you about your doc, but I DO advise you be to YOUR OWN doctor as much as you can. Sounds like you do that already. THEN, don't be embarrassed to demand that the doc does his/her job.

Again, not down on docs in general. Not even the ones I've had issues with specifically. I think medicine, as practiced in the USA, has become like running cattle through a pen. A "good" stockman (aka doctor) will cull the "downer" cows, but everything else goes through. There is no time to check everyone for everything. Again, you gotta be your own advocate!!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

So, do I go through the bother of switching to a new doctor? Do I not worry about what he's going to think?

Switch doctors ! I went to an Internist who was very conservative when I first moved to Florida . He refused to give me steroids when I was having an asthma crisis . I almost ended up in ICU . That was his last day as my doctor.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
DW finally "fired" her internist. The lady would come in with a lap top and ask questions.
I guess laptop are not yet as comprehensive as a Tricorder.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #44
Administrator

Quote:
I'm in denial about my GP not being a very good doctor. He really listens, generally takes the time to pay attention, and he's come to be a friend, although I don't see him much. He agrees very much with me concerning things like low carb, avoiding unnecessary tests, and other things.
But it seems that he has consistently made mistakes, and said things that seem downright kooky to me. For example, when I discussed some shoulder pain with him (its all gone now), he talked about replacing the shoulder.

When he first saw my surfer's ear, he thought it was a tumor. A few years later, he looked in my ear and didn't even notice it until I reminded him. He failed to refer Lena to a dermatologist when she asked about what turned out to be basal cell cancer. He thinks that HDL is only influenced by exercise and not diet. His advice on Lena's hyperparathyroidism was not good (based on our 2nd opinion and Internet research). Etc.

Switch! You can do better than that.

I should take my own advice. My internist is not a very good doctor either, IMO. I have to take ALL of the initiative. For example, even though my father died of colon cancer, he never mentioned a colonoscopy to me even once in over a decade. He rushes me through and has way too many patients. He doesn't know any conditions I have or don't have, even with my chart in front of him. I could say more.

Basically I am lucky to have a doctor at all, I suppose. From what I understand, after one gets to Medicare age it is hard to get a new doctor, due to the Medicare fee structure. Or maybe that is just a scary rumor.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

This thread struck a deep chord with me.

My dad was diagnosed with colon cancer, Stage IV and the copy of the medical records said he did not see a doctor earlier "because he was afraid it might be cancer".

All three lymph nodes removed during surgery were malignant. The oncologist put his hand on my mom's shoulder and told her he was so sorry. They gave my dad a year "to get his business affairs in order".

That was 16 years ago. Miracles happen--but I certainly learned a lesson from agonizing over that.

Of course, over the years, I know other stories, but this one was huge for our family.

Get to the doctor....as many doctors as it takes.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I've volunteered at the local free clinic for years as a pharm. tech. It amazes me the number of people who never pick up the free medicines that have been prescribed for them.
Rich, have you seen this?
Old 07-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBOT View Post
I've volunteered at the local free clinic for years as a pharm. tech. It amazes me the number of people who never pick up the free medicines that have been prescribed for them.
Rich, have you seen this?
Noncompliance, more politically correctly termed "nonadherence," is rampant in all populations but perhaps more so in the uninsured (by my personal observation at least). The reasons are often not financial as you point out.

Fear of side-effects? General lack of confidence in health care apparatus? Bad experience in the past now impacting current decision-making? Who knows.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote