Join Early Retirement Today

The FLU Club - Have you joined it yet this winter?
Old 01-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The FLU Club - Have you joined it yet this winter?

I did, late on Monday. Think I got it from one of our holiday guests. Had flu shot in the fall, but all the news reports say the strain going around now is a mutation, not covered in the vaccine. This is the first time I have had a respiratory illness since I retired, and that's been many years now!

Getting away from all the people and surfaces at work that you have to touch or be around did wonders for my health. But now it is our kids and especially their kids that catch and pass stuff around, and that's how I got it.

Ran a fever for 1 1/2 days, nose is slowing down running, but now it is the tickle cough that I always used to get years ago after the flu goes away that is really bothering me. Roughens my throat and keeps me awake. Drugged myself to sleep with zQuil for two nights, but I don't like to use it more than a few times, as the good effects decline quickly with repeated use for me, and bad effects start, like really weird dreams. No zQuil last night, and only got about 1 hour sleep, that was a mistake. Napped a bit this morning. Time going by incredibly slow.

When you're retired, you don't get paid sick days, they are all on you... I might as well be working! No, maybe I'm just hallucinating thinking that

So, who else is a member of the 2014-2015 FLU CLUB?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No flu here but DW caught DD's cold (who she caught from a friend) and DW gave it to me.

pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
Administrator

A few months ago I got the flu shot for older people, which (as I understand it) is four times the amount of vaccine that middle aged people get. No problems, no side effects.

Then, in December I got the dreaded "flu like illness", or so I thought. I would have gone to the doctor to find out if it really was the flu, had I thought that was even possible. The stories about the flu shot not working had either not yet been published, or else I just hadn't heard them.

Still, what I had was pretty doggone mild compared with the genuine flu so I am skeptical. I remember the flu from back in 1975 or so when I last had it, and it knocked me flat on my back. I felt like I had been run over by a freight train at the very least and was unable to go anywhere or do anything but lie in bed sick. What I experienced in December wasn't anywhere near that bad, although I did skip the gym once or twice and tried not to breathe on others too much when I went out. I'm sure that some people would have called it the flu.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/co...-cold-symptoms

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #4

Haven't gotten the flu this year - but have dealt with the following: infected abscess thing (needed to have it drained and course of antibiotics); stomach virus (3 days of yuckiness - but lost, and kept off 7 lbs.); kidney infection - 3 days of fever and symptoms before the antibiotics kicked in.

I hate going to the doctor - but for 2 of those I broke down and went.

Apparently CA isn't getting the flu outbreaks as bad as the midwest and back east - I'm grateful for that.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

For people wondering if flu is widespread in their area, the simple answer is probably yes. Here's a link to the CDC weekly map of flu outbreak. Weekly US Map: Influenza Summary Update | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC
Old 01-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Not me, but DW just got over it. She had a flu shot a couple of months ago, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been, but still a rough several days for her. According to the local newspaper, it's extremely prevalent around here right now.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #7

Never had it. Started getting the shots about 5 years ago though. Do get an annual head cold that follows a very dependable schedule: sore throat one night, then moves to congestion and cough. Just about over this winter's version now.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:48 PM   #8

We did get the flu shot several months ago but both of us were feeling a bit nauseous this morning so we skipped the gym, pretty rare for me.

Not really sick but it shows up if I move around too much so I'm suspicious.

And while the CDC map snows it "intermediate" here, we are surrounded by states showing "widespread". I sure hope not, I had it bad about fifteen years ago and it kept me out of work for a week, most of those in bed.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:54 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Due to annual influenza inoculations, I am not eligible for membership in said club.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Due to annual influenza inoculations, I am not eligible for membership in said club.
Famous last words...

Quote:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday a mutated form of the H3N2 virus has been reported in almost all states, and the flu vaccine on the market does not prevent it from spreading.
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...cted/19974595/

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:07 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I knew that I'd be challenged on that one. It was just a matter of time...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:44 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

So sorry you have the flu. I had it in early December and it was quite miserable. Took me about 10 days to feel completely back to normal. Hope you get over it quickly!
Old 01-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #13

I got the flu in early November and was sick for eight weeks straight. It turned into bronchitis and I couldn't stop coughing. The cough is just starting to go away now, but I'm still on a lot of medications to keep it under control. I didn't get the shot. I'm not sure if it's worth bothering now for me, but if you haven't got it yet, I would definitely recommend it. This was the worst illness I've ever had.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:43 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

With so many people getting sick, I expect to wake up any day now with symptoms. I did get a shot over a month ago, maybe that helps. So far, not even a sneeze...

Old 01-02-2015, 08:54 PM   #15

I know I'm an outlier but I've never had the flu and have never had a flu shot.

DH caught the flu about a month ago and is still trying to get rid of the cough.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:33 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

No flu so far (knock on wood). I got the shot and I do take 2000 IUs of D3 every day. Maybe I should up it to 4K, but I figured being in FL I didn't need as much.

However, I have been dealing with an allergy that is truly kicking my @ss. I've never had more than mild and occasional allergies before, but something down here is really nailing me. Runny nose, stuffy nose (sometimes at the same time), headache, sneezing...sucks. Hope whatever it is stops blooming soon. It must be something that doesn't grow in VA/MD.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:22 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

My neighbors 16 y/o son (who was in very good shape) came down with the flu in december and ended up in CCU for 6 days, induced coma and on a ventilator. His weakend immune system from flu ended up in pneumonia, and then an infection took over. Thank god he pulled through. He lost 20 lbs from dehydration, and is now in rehab to get back on his feet. Evidently they pumped him so full of antibiotics, that his arm now has blood clots, that he needs to take blood thinners for a couple of months. I was in tears hearing my neighbor tell the horror story.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:03 AM   #18

I got my first flu shot this year, even though I haven't had the flu in ages.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:35 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Flu (or some nasty other virus) ripped through our house. Three of the four of us got a turn as did my nephew who was visiting for the holidays.

Nasty bugger.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:31 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

I got a flu shot last week. The Doc said its not very effective this year, but always recommends it.

Dear Daughter has the flu and is now banished to her boyfriends house - He's patient zero so he gets to take care of her.

Amazing how few colds and other viruses are now caught once the kids were out of school and even less after I started working at home. MegaCorp had a culture of show up no matter how sick you are and make everyone miserable.