Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2014, 11:50 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,189
We get the flu shot every year. The one year I didn't, I ended up in the hospital with pneumonia.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________

__________________
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2014, 11:56 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,142
I got the pneumonia shot last year, preventive, of course.

I don't get flu shots anymore. The last one I got in the 1980's got me really sick for a couple of weeks.

Since not getting the flu shot, I have not gotten the flu, or anything more than some allergy irritations.

Maybe I am crazy, or lucky, or just one who does not get bitten by the flu bug.
__________________

__________________
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:21 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Telly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
.....Anyway, we got our flu shots for free yesterday... medicare... and in this morning's mail... an offer from CVS for free shots... PLUS a $5 coupon towards anything in the store.

Hmmm... just when ya think you have it all figgered out...
We got a CVS advert in the mail, I think it was ~$20 for the flu shot, and then get a $5 coupon towards anything in the store... quite a bit different then yours!

I got my first flu shot ever when I was in the hospital in great pain after near-emergency surgery. They were going room to room hawking the flu shot and a pneumonia shot. I said OK for the flu shot. Hospital billed it for $200, ins. co. got it down to ~$50, IIRC.

Last year $35 at CVS. For this year, I hope to do it in Dr. office to get well-health ins. coverage on it, and also get the Shingles shot (that one has been weighing on my mind to get, before it's too late). And probably a Tetanus shot TDAP or whatever. DW has been after me for years to get one. I am assuming I can call and set something up where I go in and a nurse gives them to me, and I don't see Dr. and do not get billed for a whole office visit thing.
Plan on doing this in October, I don't know if there is a wear-off effect over time on the flu shot, don't want to get it too early. Or maybe it doesn't matter, I really don't know.
__________________
-- Telly, the D-I-Y guy --
Two fools dancing on the hands of time
Telly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:57 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.
Ronnieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I don't get flu shots anymore. The last one I got in the 1980's got me really sick for a couple of weeks.

Since not getting the flu shot, I have not gotten the flu, or anything more than some allergy irritations.

Maybe I am crazy, or lucky, or just one who does not get bitten by the flu bug.
You can't get the flu from the flu shot, even the live virus can't give you the flu.

You can still get the flu even after getting the flu shot, there are about 40 types of flu and the shot protects you against 3 (or 4 if you get the quadravalent shot). Hopefully, if you still get the flu it will be less severe than the flu blown flu. i.e. 10 days of feeling like death warmed over....
__________________
I don't want to spend my entire life at work. I deserve more. - Want2retire aka W2R
Ronnieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:02 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
Ronnieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
Last year $35 at CVS. For this year, I hope to do it in Dr. office to get well-health ins. coverage on it, and also get the Shingles shot (that one has been weighing on my mind to get, before it's too late). And probably a Tetanus shot TDAP or whatever. DW has been after me for years to get one. I am assuming I can call and set something up where I go in and a nurse gives them to me, and I don't see Dr. and do not get billed for a whole office visit thing.
Plan on doing this in October, I don't know if there is a wear-off effect over time on the flu shot, don't want to get it too early. Or maybe it doesn't matter, I really don't know.
The shot is considered as lasting a 'year'. Or realistically through flu season. The earliest I have seen the shot come out is mid August, it is believed to be effective for 9+ months so easily thru May. I would get it as soon as possible, avoid the crowds, and while supplies are plentiful. Most places run out starting around January.
__________________
I don't want to spend my entire life at work. I deserve more. - Want2retire aka W2R
Ronnieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:02 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Yes they were billed, but they didn't pay $40. Probably they paid $5-$6 (the cost of the drug and it's administration).

Rita

It's actually more expensive than that. Vaccines are not huge money makers. If they were, pediatricians would make as much as surgeons. We've had to fight with insurance companies to get them to pay enough to even cover the cost of the vaccines. The CDC quotes the price per dose as $11.30-19.13, depending on the brand, and weather it is preservative free, etc. Needles, alcohol swabs add to the cost. And those administering the vaccine aren't being paid minimum wage.

Also, the American billing system is weird. You always bill about 40% more than the insurance company pays, just to get what it pays.


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:52 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
You can't get the flu from the flu shot, even the live virus can't give you the flu.

You can still get the flu even after getting the flu shot, there are about 40 types of flu and the shot protects you against 3 (or 4 if you get the quadravalent shot). Hopefully, if you still get the flu it will be less severe than the flu blown flu. i.e. 10 days of feeling like death warmed over....
I understand the variables and will take my chances without the shot. Maybe I have been lucky for the last 30 + years by not getting a flu shot.

DW just got her flu shot yesterday. She seems to get sick at the drop of a hat though.
__________________
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rustic23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lake Livingston, Tx
Posts: 3,624
We are all in the risk business. Some of us take financial risk we shouldn't and some of us ride motor cycles. The flu shot is no different. It is a risk. However, if you look at the 1918 flu, which went pandemic, https://virus.stanford.edu/uda/ killed between 20,000,000 to 40,000,000 people! Not a risk I am willing to take.
__________________
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I understand the variables and will take my chances without the shot. Maybe I have been lucky for the last 30 + years by not getting a flu shot.

DW just got her flu shot yesterday. She seems to get sick at the drop of a hat though.

Your approach works well as long as those you come in daily contact with are resistant or immunized. Hurrah for herd immunity!

We have some school districts where 20-30% of students are not immunized, well below the 'herd immunity' target of 5% or less not immunized. There's a push starting here to move all students that file 'personal belief' exemption papers and are not immunized to one school in the district to preserve the herd immunity benefits for the other students, what I think of as the 'designated plague school'.
__________________
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Your approach works well as long as those you come in daily contact with are resistant or immunized. Hurrah for herd immunity!

We have some school districts where 20-30% of students are not immunized, well below the 'herd immunity' target of 5% or less not immunized. There's a push starting here to move all students that file 'personal belief' exemption papers and are not immunized to one school in the district to preserve the herd immunity benefits for the other students, what I think of as the 'designated plague school'.
Good info, thanks for the link. I really need to get my shingles shot though. My annual physical is coming up and I plan to have that included. It's also time for a colonoscopy too.
__________________
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Your approach works well as long as those you come in daily contact with are resistant or immunized. Hurrah for herd immunity!

We have some school districts where 20-30% of students are not immunized, well below the 'herd immunity' target of 5% or less not immunized. There's a push starting here to move all students that file 'personal belief' exemption papers and are not immunized to one school in the district to preserve the herd immunity benefits for the other students, what I think of as the 'designated plague school'.
I like it. Vaccines are the #1 preventive medicine of all time. Millions if not billions of lives have and will be saved by vaccination. If we would educate our citizenry on health history the way we do on "world history" and U.S. history" we would have far fewer vaccine naysayers. Let the parents who are fools stick together, and I feel sorry for their kids, but what can we do?

My kid with childhood asthma got every vaccine available and appropriate. I only delayed one vaccine--the chicken pox vaccine came out in May 1995 and we were scheduled to travel in June so I planned to wait until after our trip. Dang if he didn't get chickenpox 4 days before the trip and he and I had to delay our flight until he was no longer contagious. Not a disaster but expensive.

Please, if you don't choose to vaccinate, reconsider.
__________________
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
.......... Vaccines are the #1 preventive medicine of all time. .......
Oh sure, but what about all the kids that were vaccinated and are now artistic?
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Oh sure, but what about all the kids that were vaccinated and are now artistic?
My vaccinated daughter ended up showing Quarter horses. Being artistic would have been less expensive.
__________________
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:09 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
My vaccinated daughter ended up showing Quarter horses. Being artistic would have been less expensive.
Sorry to hear that. Maybe you can talk her into a hobby that is a lot cheaper, like owning her own plane.
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.
Ronnieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Your approach works well as long as those you come in daily contact with are resistant or immunized. Hurrah for herd immunity!

We have some school districts where 20-30% of students are not immunized, well below the 'herd immunity' target of 5% or less not immunized. There's a push starting here to move all students that file 'personal belief' exemption papers and are not immunized to one school in the district to preserve the herd immunity benefits for the other students, what I think of as the 'designated plague school'.
The above situation has helped whooping cough start to come back, hopefully there won't be other preventable diseases doing the same
__________________
I don't want to spend my entire life at work. I deserve more. - Want2retire aka W2R
Ronnieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
We are all in the risk business. Some of us take financial risk we shouldn't and some of us ride motor cycles. The flu shot is no different. It is a risk. However, if you look at the 1918 flu, which went pandemic, https://virus.stanford.edu/uda/ killed between 20,000,000 to 40,000,000 people! Not a risk I am willing to take.
Both DF GP died of flu. Not 1918. There were many regional flus, His GP died in 1893 and 1895. My orphaned GF was raised by his GPs.

Pretty simple decision for me.


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
__________________
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Oh sure, but what about all the kids that were vaccinated and are now artistic?

I guess you mean autistic. What a scam that was. You are referring to the MMR vaccine, not any other vaccine. A researcher named Andrew Wakefield in Britain published his findings linking MMR vaccine to autism in Lancet in 1998. The article was later retracted. Dr. Wakefield was paid ~$400K by some lawyers to put forth his research. Dr. Wakefield faked his data. After court proceedings he lost his medical license.

The vaccine naysayers then attacked thimerosal, a stable mercury compound used as a preservative. The problem here is that it was blamed for autism years after it was removed from childhood vaccines.

There is no factual basis for linking autism and vaccines. Autism is not due to vaccination. Period. And this has nothing to do with flu vaccine so I'm done going off topic. Sorry.


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rustic23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lake Livingston, Tx
Posts: 3,624
Thanks eastwestfal. I knew it had been debunked but did not know the history.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:22 PM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Sorry to hear that. Maybe you can talk her into a hobby that is a lot cheaper, like owning her own plane.

Thanks for making me laugh.


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Sorry to hear that. Maybe you can talk her into a hobby that is a lot cheaper, like owning her own plane.
I'm not so sure a plane would have been cheaper.....
__________________

__________________
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got your flu shot? Purron Health and Early Retirement 55 10-23-2013 04:16 PM
Flu Shot Khan Health and Early Retirement 73 10-31-2010 10:29 AM
Flu Shot Question??? haha Health and Early Retirement 50 10-05-2007 06:28 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:23 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.