Join Early Retirement Today

The Flu Shot
Old 09-12-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

The Flu Shot

Of course you know all about that... and the super flu shot for those over age 65. You've either decided that you'll get it, or will be certain that the last time you got a flu shot, you also got the flu, and you'll stay away.

The title was misleading... The thing that prompted the subject, was the latest news on the Ebola virus... Because it's relatively new, and has spread so quickly, that virologists are concerned that what was thought to be a "contact" bodily fluid virus... may become an airborne virus.

Right or wrong, news like this can be of great concern throughout the world, as travel patterns could expose every cranny of the globe.

Sometimes forgotten is what happened 94 years ago, in 1918... the great world flu epidemic. It infected 500 million people, and caused the deaths of 50 million to 100 million people... 3% to 5% of the entire world population at the time. That same percent would work out to 200 million to 400 million deaths, given today' population.

Here's hoping this is just a doomsday rumor monger scare, but just a heads up to possibilities, when we look at the news.

Anyway, we got our flu shots for free yesterday... medicare... and in this morning's mail... an offer from CVS for free shots... PLUS a $5 coupon towards anything in the store.

Hmmm... just when ya think you have it all figgered out...
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Local blood donation center gives free flu shots to donors.

I was employed by USAF and they gave free shots most years.

My insurance covers free flu shots.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #3

I got it for free when working. I was "essential personnel" and did not get the day off when the County shut down for some weather event. More likely, if it was my day off I'd get called in. And three feet of snow in the driveway was not an excuse for not coming.

One guy had the bomb-sniffing dog and tried that. They sent a helicopter for him.

Now insurance covers the flu shot and nice to know that Medicare will too next year.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like to get the flu shot in October. It is free at my PCP's office with my retiree plan "preventive care" . I am not eligible for the "super flu" shot as I am not yet 65 nor do I have any conditions that would qualify me for it.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #5

Yep, free with the Navy, though I don't like the fact that I'm forced to get it...
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just got a flu shot at the local supermarket. If I paid cash at the supermarket it was $25, if I got it at Costco is was only $15. I "paid" with my insurance card. They were billed $40.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #7

I usually wait until October to get the shot. I've gotten it every year since the swine flu scare of 1977.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:22 PM   #8

I get it every year and usually get it around October. I have gotten it both in the USA and the Philippines (where I currently live). The cost for me is roughly $29 in both places. Well worth it!
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We have a drive through flu shot process here on MDs Eastern Shore. Just go to the Perdue Stadium (Single A Baseball) parking lot, pay your $10, stick your arm out the car window, and Bam! off you go. Pretty cool.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:06 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I received the free (and mandatory) flu shot every year in the Army. I also made sure my family received the shot each year as well. None of us have had the flu in the 20+ years we've been getting the flu shots, and we make sure to still get them in post-Army life.

Given the thousands of death's each year due to the flu, I'm still surprised by those who are eligible, but choose not to get the flu shot.

How Many People Die From Flu Each Year? Depends How You Slice The Data : Shots - Health News : NPR
Old 09-13-2014, 03:06 AM   #11
Administrator

We'll get ours when we get back from our travels end of November. "free" with our insurance.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:57 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
We have a drive through flu shot process here on MDs Eastern Shore. Just go to the Perdue Stadium (Single A Baseball) parking lot, pay your $10, stick your arm out the car window, and Bam! off you go. Pretty cool.
Ironic because last year when I got a shot at the health clinic, they demanded I sit for 20 minutes before driving in case I had a reaction.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Ironic because last year when I got a shot at the health clinic, they demanded I sit for 20 minutes before driving in case I had a reaction.
Actually, I think they told us to park and wait a bit for that, but I didn't bother.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Just got a flu shot at the local supermarket. If I paid cash at the supermarket it was $25, if I got it at Costco is was only $15. I "paid" with my insurance card. They were billed $40.
Yes they were billed, but they didn't pay $40. Probably they paid $5-$6 (the cost of the drug and it's administration).

Rita
Old 09-13-2014, 02:12 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Yes they were billed, but they didn't pay $40. Probably they paid $5-$6 (the cost of the drug and it's administration).

Rita
EOB said $42 charged, $38 paid
Old 09-13-2014, 02:52 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I've always been skeptical but I got flu shots when my previous employer gave us brownie points in the company Wellness program for getting one. So, I got a flu shot last time this year and so did DH. We went to Alaska in July. We caught some awful respiratory bug. I'm rarely sick so when something hits me, it's bad. When something hits DH, who has health issues, it takes him about a month to get even close to normal again (with the help of the medical profession).

I know that there are many different kinds of flu and that the vaccine is aimed at whatever the experts think will be the most prevalent in the upcoming season, but I think I'm going to go back to not getting shots.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #17

When in the AF I have a fight surgeon talk to us. Bottom line, if you ever get the flu you will be the first in line to get the shot afterwards. The shot may make you sick, but the flu kills people! I had what I think was the flu once. Everything hurt. It hurt to open your eyes in a dark room! It hurt to move. It hurt to lay still! and yes even my hair hurt, well at least what hair I had attached to the scalp. I never miss getting a flu shot!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
When in the AF I have a fight surgeon talk to us. Bottom line, if you ever get the flu you will be the first in line to get the shot afterwards. The shot may make you sick, but the flu kills people! I had what I think was the flu once. Everything hurt. It hurt to open your eyes in a dark room! It hurt to move. It hurt to lay still! and yes even my hair hurt, well at least what hair I had attached to the scalp. I never miss getting a flu shot!
We have a good friend at home who is in her early 30's, very fit, runs 5 miles every morning and gets a flu shot every year. Last year she didn't for some reason and in March she got the flu so bad she was in hospital for 3 nights. She swears she will never miss another flu shot.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had the real influenza when I was in college. It was a horrible experience, not just a bad cold. Everything hurt. I was in bed for a week and crappy for two more. My mom had influenza in 2000 and wound up on a ventilator in the ICU with pneumonia. We both get our flu shots every year.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Bottom line, if you ever get the flu you will be the first in line to get the shot afterwards. The shot may make you sick, but the flu kills people! I had what I think was the flu once. Everything hurt. It hurt to open your eyes in a dark room! It hurt to move. It hurt to lay still! and yes even my hair hurt, well at least what hair I had attached to the scalp. I never miss getting a flu shot!
+1!

In spite of the shot I did get the flu one year, or at least a variant not covered by the shot. It didn't kill me (obviously) but there were times I was wishing it would just to get it over with.