The gentle face of facism in Iceworld

Yikes... Put a whole different slant on the issue. :p

Canadian Health care doesn't sound very good. This makes McCain look much better as a candidate.

Thanks.

My wife was diagnosed March 17 with a brain tumor and was at home recovering from having the large plum taken out of her skull April 1st. I'd take ours over theirs in a heartbeat.

The Free Market Cure Video Series has been created by filmmaker Stuart Browning to inform Americans about the dangers of collectivized medicine and the benefits of free markets in health care.
Stuart Browning is a film director, entrepreneur and health care policy commentator. He is currently producing The Free Market Cure Video Series, a collection of short films dedicated to informing Americans about the dangers of collectivized medicine and the benefits of free markets in health care. He speaks regularly across the country about health care freedom. He is an executive producer of the new film Indoctrinate U directed by Evan Coyne Maloney and is a fellow of The Moving Picture Institute. Mr. Browning was President and co-founder of Embarcadero Technologies, a leading database software vendor in San Francisco.

The above quote from YouTube -- no one should take this as objective information. It was produced for the specific purpose of condemning government provided health care. Many have challenged Michael Moore's Sicko on analogous grounds.

The Free Market Cure Video Series has been created by filmmaker Stuart Browning to inform Americans about the dangers of collectivized medicine and the benefits of free markets in health care.
Stuart Browning is a film director, entrepreneur and health care policy commentator. He is currently producing The Free Market Cure Video Series, a collection of short films dedicated to informing Americans about the dangers of collectivized medicine and the benefits of free markets in health care. He speaks regularly across the country about health care freedom. He is an executive producer of the new film Indoctrinate U directed by Evan Coyne Maloney and is a fellow of The Moving Picture Institute. Mr. Browning was President and co-founder of Embarcadero Technologies, a leading database software vendor in San Francisco.

The above quote from YouTube -- no one should take this as objective information. It was produced for the specific purpose of condemning government provided health care. Many have challenged Michael Moore's Sicko on analogous grounds.

But the main question is- is it factual, or a lie? Does anyone know?

Ha

That is part of the problem, we don't know. And all the people who presume to tell us generally have their own axe to grind.

According to Wikipedia, it's all lies, damn lies! Well, sort of.

Health care in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Canada Health Act of 1984 "does not directly bar private delivery or private insurance for publicly insured services," but provides financial disincentives for doing so. "Although there are laws prohibiting or curtailing private health care in some provinces, they can be changed," according to a report in the New England Journal of Medicine.

But I can't recall any candidate wanting to ban private health care in the US. Maybe Kucinich? Somehow, I don't think he's going to win. :)

Ha

According to the video, the patient had a brain tumour removed in the US for $28K? I'm sceptical, maybe Rich can ballpark it.

Yes, there are waits in Canada, but would a broke, uninsured person get treatment in the US at all? If yes, why buy insurance?

According to the video, the patient had a brain tumour removed in the US for $28K? I'm sceptical, maybe Rich can ballpark it.

Yes, there are waits in Canada, but would a broke, uninsured person get treatment in the US at all? If yes, why buy insurance?

28k seems really cheap to me. But then again what the heck do I know about brain surgery :D

There are accounts like this from time to time in the Canadian press. I give it credence.

The wait for diagnosis is long. Emergency care can be very good, on the other hand. My boss had a heart attack over the holidays and got a stent within 15 minutes of arrival at the hospital.

When my MD south of the border said I should get a colonoscopy, I checked into getting one here in Calgary, Canadistan, since I am a paid-up subscriber to Alberta Health Care. The local GP said, sure! We can get around to you...in about 3 years. Hmmm. I think he wanted me to get it sort of soon, for some reason, so I returned to the Wet Coast and got probed. Yeah, it cost me. (A-OK, by the way. Thanks for asking. Wanna see the pictures?) I might make an appointment now for one in three years, though. Gotta do it again by then.

I worked with a Chinese fellow (here in Cowtown) who was fortunate enough to have been diagnosed with cancer in time. In Canada, he was scheduled for surgery 3 months off. He immediately got on the plane to Tampa and paid another $10k to have it done RIGHT NOW.

God help those who live outside of urban areas, though. Some of the stories in the press are about those who died waiting for diagnosis. It is a small country, though, so there may not be many such stories. On the other hand, Canadians are good at suffering in silence. Prairie stoicism.

It is important to realize that universal health care is the biggest sacred cow up here. It is like social security in the US. There are big problems with funding, staffing (big exodus of nurses to the US; some doctors, too--e.g., our pediatricians in Houston) and equipment--all of which is allocated by political process. The Government know what is best, after all. ;) Best for who? Open question. There are some interesting alternatives which get a trial balloon once in a while, but they last as long as a butterfly in a blast furnace.

In Canada, I can afford treatment, but I can't get it on demand.
In the US, I can get it on demand, but I can't afford it.

I keep a foot in each country. Unlike hundreds of millions, I have a choice. At the moment. Maybe.

Cheers,

Gypsy

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom