Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-16-2016, 07:18 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
I get the "feeling like a bum" thing...for sure. I kinda anticipated that since I retired SO early. For the first 6 months, I couldn't really be bothered to get out of my "loungewear" (see attached picture ). Well, one day, I was driving through the neighborhood and saw one of my neighbors (about the same age), checking his mail and pretty much wearing the SAME THING! The first thing that went through my mind was "Ah...look at that bum...he needs to get a job!" WOW...when I caught myself passing judgement on him (AND ME!) I realized that I needed to at least put on REAL pants everyday. I didn't want to LOOK like a bum!

So, in my "feeling like a bum" I started to feel guilty about sitting around the house and well, being a bum. That's probably where the law school idea came from and now THAT is causing me issues. How so, you ask? Well, I enjoy the certainly exercises my brain. BUT...I have noticed that I absolutely HATE, HATE, HATE being told what to do. As the academic year has clipped on by, there seems to be more and more "mandatory" items that the school wants me to do. I push back at their demands and they get testy about it. I understand that much of the "mandatory" stuff is geared to the young students...but I am NOT one of those. I don't NEED to go to a seminar about being professional. I don't NEED to "turn in your OWN brief to me, stop using commercial outlines" for a professor who wants to make up his own rules. It's all growing very old. SO...I am not sure if I will continue on to the 2nd and 3rd years. I have never been one to "quit" in the middle of something, but I don't think it's a great fit for me being retired, either.

Sorry about the rambling. My intention was to show that there may not be a "groove" in which you will get in anytime soon. But, realize that if you are doing something that you are not enjoying, you can stop and try something else. That's something that is usually difficult to do when you are w*rking for someone else.

Besides, when you are retired, you can spend 1/2 the day throwing pine cones at the house wren that won't stop hammering away on your cedar siding!

I always thought half of law school entailed doing what you were told to do ( as defined by the "teller" ) . if that's true , well ...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2016, 08:39 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I have been retired eight years and my life has just evolved . The only thing about retirement that made me nervous was losing my social life since a lot of it involved co-workers . It took me awhile but I found a new social life with new friends . I also started a ebay business that was very successful. Between travel , my SO , friends and my family my life is full .I would say it is safe to jump in and just let your journey start .

Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:57 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
This, to me, is the single greatest advantage of retirement. Yes, I'm serious.

When I retired from the military at just 43 years old, I decided to take some time to enjoy it before looking for employment. So I got up when I liked, started the coffeemaker, picked up two newspapers from the front lawn (local paper and WSJ), and settled down to enjoy myself.

During my perusal of the papers, I would fix myself a nice breakfast. By the time I finished both papers, breakfast, and the coffeepot, somewhere between one and two hours had gone by. It was pure bliss.

Eventually I got antsy and got a job for nearly another 12 years, but I looked back on those months with nostalgia.

Upon final retirement at 55, I went back into that mode and I still do the same thing (except that the newspapers are on my iPad now). And I still think it's wonderful!
Ahh breakfast. Since retiring 1 year and 9 months ago, I get up when I want, make a nice healthy breakfast, listen to local new radio, work on a crossword puzzle, have a second cup of coffee and eventually get dressed. Takes 1 -1/2 to 2 hours.

When I was w*rking, I would grab a cup of coffee and a bagel and gulp it down while reading e-mail at my desk.

Yes, this is truly my favorite thing about retirement. Pure bliss, indeed.
Likes_to_Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:00 PM   #44
I envy you breakfast lingerers. Since I still have kids at home I still have to give in to their schedule a bit... and that means getting up (so I can make sure they're up) and getting them out the door in the morning. Good thing I'm a morning person.

I've tried to adapt this forced early rising to MY needs. So I take an Italian course (3rd semester) 2 days a week, and take the dog for walks on the beach the other weekdays. There is something centering about watching the sun rise, the waves, the surfers... a great way to start the day.

But I echo flyboy's resentment of the academic retirements that don't seem to fit my situation. But... I think this is my last semester. I'm not pursuing a specific degree.
Retired June 2014. No longer an enginerd - now I'm just a nerd.
rodi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
But if are pursuing speaking Italian the next step should be spending some time traveling around Italy and practicing the language!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets
Similar to what others have shared, ER has been an evolving experience. Looking back I have to say I wouldn't trade where I am now, five years in, for that first year of ER, when I was definitely on an emotional roller coaster.

Year One/Week One: Absolute Bliss
Year One/Weeks Two-Three: Happiness
Year One/Week Four: Confusion
Year One/Week Five & forward: Reality check, and the beginning of the real work of exploring who I was without my job title, and what kind of life I wanted/needed to build now that it was all up to me.

I would best describe the first three years of retirement as a three steps forward, one step back process. I did a lot of experimenting to try and find what worked vs what didn't. One thing I knew for sure going into ER was that I wanted to spend a lot of time both in the pursuit of outdoor physical activities like hiking, biking and running, and on traveling. Other than that, I wasn't sure, which was simultaneously scary and exciting. But, little by little I kept trying new things as they presented themselves, keeping some, keeping and expanding on some, and discarding those that didn't work.

I think things really fell into place when I landed on a couple of things that became passions I felt I could happily pursue the entirety of my remaining life. On that list currently is learning Spanish, manual photography, long distance biking, and backpacking. I am devoting hours weekly to improving my abilities in all four areas, and each of the four is growing exponentially as well with regard to opportunities presented.

Now, in Year Five, I am more fulfilled than I think I have ever been, but primarily because I now totally get that having a rich and satisfying ER, for me at least, takes ongoing time and attention. And while unpleasant stuff still crops up from time to time, because, hey, that's life in general, at least now I have the luxury of taking the necessary time out to deal with it.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I like having my coffee in the morning in a big comfy chair with a view of the mountains. I grind my own coffee beans daily and use a French press.

I probably also have ADD and have 101 hobbies and interests so I'm never bored. We're on several Netflix for live events kinds of subscriptions, have hobby jobs, a house, dog and yard to take care of and belong to several hobby / social groups so our weeks are usually booked these days. It is still a lot more laid back than when our kids were younger and we were both working. Looking back that was crazy. Working and commuting alone often took up 100 hours a week between us. Then weekends might have been a soccer tournament like this (Lewis Black / foul language warning):

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:03 AM   #48
Originally Posted by mh View Post
I always thought half of law school entailed doing what you were told to do ( as defined by the "teller" ) . if that's true , well ...
Not my law school. It was rather "free form". The first semester courses were specified, but after that, there was only one other required semester long course in the remaining 2 1/2 years. The rest of your education was up to you, and students found myriad ways to occupy their intellectual energy.

In addition to all the courses at the law school, you could take classes at the medical school, the business school, the divinity school and the graduate school. If you made your case to the law school administration, they would give you credit for those classes taken at the other schools of the university.
It helped that there were no class ranks and genuinely no competition among the students.
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #49
Dryer sheet aficionado
I enjoyed these posts. My 4/30/16 retirement date (age 46) can't get here quick enough. My biggest concerns have been addressed in these posts. Loss of social network will be the hardest - love my co workers but not the job. Looking forward to the next adventure!
OnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:50 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
I agree that there will be a period of bewilderment and excitement (8 weeks left to ER). I also recognize that much of my social life has been interwinded with work as I have been in sales and we tend to gather together.

My concern is that I am ADD so need to have my hands in a lot of cookie jars. But work doesn't need to be one of the cookies. So, once I am past the "I can't believe I'm retired" phase and "I am tired of screwing around" phase then I will put my efforts into making my world a better place by volunteering and then still screwing around a lot.

Bir48die is offline   Reply With Quote