The Once and Future Way to Run

Helen

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This article is pretty interesting. It talks about how to spring off the ball of the foot and not the heel. This style of running purports to eliminate injury.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/magazine/running-christopher-mcdougall.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

This link is to a video that demonstrates the running style:

The Lost Secret of Running - Video Library - The New York Times

I've been running a bit this year, it works my lungs better than anything else I do. I tried the method as shown in the video at the fitness center this morning. I don't think I'm a natural heel striker when I run. The only thing I really did differently was to bring my knees up higher. It will be interesting to see if I feel the burn tomorrow.

Has anyone here tried this method of running?

Last edited:
I started running in my 50s. I went to youtube to see what folks said about it and came up the "Chi running" and "POSE running" how-to videos. They give essentially the same advice as the NY Times article.

Everybody runs slightly differently, but one thing in common of efficient runners is that they have a high stride rate or cadence. They take 180 steps a minute or so. That's 90 on the right foot and 90 on the left foot. That's like riding a bike with a cadence of 90 and above. For beginners to do this, you have to take shorter strides and you really glide. But you have virtually no chance of hurting yourself.

You can also watch other people run. You will soon notice who has bad form and who has good form. Emulate the good form folks.

Good luck!

Just got back from a run and was actually noticing how hard my heels were hitting the pavement. Then I watched the video you posted and saw they guy's example of how not to run. Yep, that's how I do it. I'm gonna work on that next time.

Overstriding (taking too long a step) is a very common mistake of novice runners, and probably the worst thing you can do. Shorter steps are safer and more efficient. What differentiates the fast runner is a higher turnover rate (more steps per minute).

I started running in my 50s. I went to youtube to see what folks said about it and came up the "Chi running" and "POSE running" how-to videos. They give essentially the same advice as the NY Times article.

I had a serious triathlete recommend "Chi Running" (the book) to me. When I explained my knees were completely knackered (I'm medically forbidden to run anymore) he said to try the book "Chi Walking". That book has really helped me, not only with walking fast(er) but also with posture and balance. I wonder if I could try running again with this technique? Thanks for sharing this.

Back
Top Bottom