Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
... I brush almost every day,
You must have been a big hit on those non-brushing days with your submarine mates.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
You must have been a big hit on those non-brushing days with your submarine mates.
Trust me, the last time you brushed your teeth was the least of any submariner's hygiene concerns.

If we were underway for less than two weeks we wouldn't open the laundry. If we were underway for less than 72 hours we wouldn't even let anyone but the food service staff use the showers.

Among the 100+ crew members you always had one or two guys who would see how long they could go without showering. Let's just say that it's a good thing women are joining the submarine force, because the only other thing that would persuade these PigPens to clean themselves once in a while was the threat of UCMJ. I think women submariners will be a very powerful global force for good in elevating cleanliness standards.

That reminds me, I'm going to have to explain to my submariner wanna-be daughter that submarine underwear actually has four sides... I don't think she's heard that one before, and I've been saving it for a special father-daughter occasion just like this.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #63

This thread was certainly surprising to me. Dental work in the USA is just something that I really don't consider seriously anymore.

With proper research, dental care in lower cost countries really can be great and cost effective. If I lived in the USA, I would be getting care in Mexico. My aunt and uncle both had major work done along the Mexican border. They were frightened before going (despite getting many recommendations from their relatives in Airzona) but have been so happy with the work, it has worked out fantastic for them. They stayed in a hotel on the USA side of the border (Yuma area) and walked across to the dentist, all English facility.

I just got my teeth cleaned here in the Philippines, the cost was on the upper end here, about $19 (lol). The dentist was recommended to me by a group of Guam doctors who all use her. I was just in Cebu City, Philippines and researched dentists there as a favor for a Filipina friend as she just didn't know which dentist to go to. I found her a dentist that taught for many years at the dental school there and has a great reputation with the expats. Costs are in the neighborhood of 1/6 the USA, I would estimate. Also, they give you a choice of materials before any procedure where there are options, they know expats generally want the highest qualify materials (well, I sure do!). In fact, one of the classes this dentist taught was on dental ethics.

The super high end place in Cebu City, which is located in the premiere mall there and draws the highest quality dentists in the region and has a stellar reputation, is approximately 1/3 the cost of the USA, to give you an idea.

One other big difference that I noticed. I have been to the dentist multiple times in three different countries outside of the USA. In each case, it was the dentist who actually did my cleaning, not a dental assistant. I never had a dentist clean my teeth in the USA. At my last teeth cleaning in the USA in 2007, the dentist never even made an appearance!

The internet is a game changer and has made it easier to find quality medical professionals abroad.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
$750 a year for health insurance? Wow. If I could get health insurance for $750 a month I would be happy.
+1.....I'm a retired public employee and I pay 805 a month for me and my wife. I had an optional cobra insurance for dental that was 32 a month.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

As we were contemplating Fire, we thought about dental. Our plan was to relocate to SC, and hope for the best. Our DS was completing dental school at the time. We figured in emergencies we would visit him, where ever he ended up. After we moved, DS joined a practice 30 minutes away! The DW needed a crown. We ended up paying $45 out of pocket. There is payback, however. We stained a deck, spread some mulch, and take care of our grand daughter whenever we are needed. We are not complaining.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is a video on a nutritional regimen that is said to reverse tooth decay through proper nutrition. Might interest you. 2 main speakers.
web_diva is offline   Reply With Quote