Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a View Post
The day before my evaluative sleep study I wrote in my journal "Hope i dont have alpha intrusion." Alpha intrusion is my way of describing unknown-cause disrupted sleep - some people don't respond to cpap and I felt confident that as long as I was one of the responders, I'd be happy living with the machine.

Well, I do have something that basically amounts to alpha intrusion. That is, CPAP doesn't help much at all. The good part is that there ARE known things that often work. The bad part is that for me one of them is surgery. A very serious surgery that involves cutting your jaw into pieces, pulling the pieces apart, and bolting them back together. So here I am writing down now (although the surgery won't be for many months at the earliest) "Hope I'm not one of the 5-10% that don't respond well to the surgery."
Before you consider surgery, ask for a trial of an oral appliance. Here is a study from Brazil showing that it helped over half the patients, whether they had moderate or severe obstuctive sleep apnea.

Titratable mandibular repositioner appliances for obstructive sleep apnea syndrome: are they an option? - Springer

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by a View Post
A very serious surgery that involves cutting your jaw into pieces, pulling the pieces apart, and bolting them back together. So here I am writing down now (although the surgery won't be for many months at the earliest) "Hope I'm not one of the 5-10% that don't respond well to the surgery."
Respond well to the surgery? I didn't even respond well to reading about it!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the caution and suggestions. I'll definitely consider the oral appliance as well as give the whole idea another round of due diligence (not my first).
Old 12-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

CPAP update: after several months of use, I have adapted well to sleeping with the device. I seldom wake up after 2 hours anymore. I feel much more rested when I get up. I consider myself fortunate.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Using a CPAP is wonderful. I suffered, as did my DW, because of horrible snoring and failure to enter into deep sleep. I was so tired and sleep deprived that I got into a one-car, nearly fatal wreck. I'm on my 4th machine, having gotten the 1st model in 1995. And, believe me, each model of machine and each mask, has improved and become more quiet and the newer masks are much more user-friendly and comfortable. I will also tell you that having a humidifier on the CPAP is a must, as the constant stream of blowing air will dry out your throat and nasal passages. But users beware: you must keep your mask and hose scrupulously clean. I erred on this a bit, and ended up with a terrible nasal infection that plagued me, on & off, for a year. But that CPAP has been a life-saver and a godsend.
Prof12