Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here's the routine I've become accustomed to: 2-3 times per week do a spinning class pretty hard. Maybe 1-2 days per week do a 30 minute Concept 2 row at a moderate/high rate. Walk 3-5 days per week, either in combination with the above exercises or as my only exercise for the day. Normally about 40 - 50 minutes, moderate. What I should do more of (and which I unfortunately do only intermittently: stretching and upper body resistance work.)

I just turned 70. I ran for most of my life (until I just got sick of it about 4 years ago). Never ran extreme distances, never had any desire to do a marathon, never suffered any joint problems during the running years. Starting to feel things a bit in my knees now but nothing serious.

I've come to believe that the hard/moderate principal (on alternate days) is the best way to go. My gym has a sign up that says they're doing to start tai-chi classes soon and I intend to try that. (Have tried yoga in the past but couldn't get into it.)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2015, 06:36 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tai chi is great. Slow motion martial arts. I suspect you'll really like it. I never could really get into yoga either.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
People who exercised moderately for 150 mins per week had a 31% lower chance of dying during the 14 year study versus the non-exercising people.

Triple that to 450 mins - best odds - 39% lower chance.

30% of exercise being vigorous improved odds 13%.

Recommendations - min 150 mins per week with 20 to 30 being vigorous.
For me, the quality of the life I have left is more important than how much longer I live. I want to be active as close to the moment I kick the bucket as possible.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:37 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
For me, the quality of the life I have left is more important than how much longer I live. I want to be active as close to the moment I kick the bucket as possible.

+1

Though I'll take longevity as well, but not too much, else I'll have to reduce my SWR...

It's safe to say that the right amount of exercise for increased longevity is >0...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:55 PM   #65
Confused about dryer sheets

For me, Right dose in 30 minutes exercise EVERDAY. Simple as that. EveryDay is the Key. Consistent exercise day in and day out.
You can do anything in that 30 minutes, running, weightlifting, swimming, yoga and others. But 30 minutes everyday is must.
sanjeev0276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:01 AM   #66
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeev0276 View Post
For me, Right dose in 30 minutes exercise EVERDAY. Simple as that. EveryDay is the Key. Consistent exercise day in and day out.
You can do anything in that 30 minutes, running, weightlifting, swimming, yoga and others. But 30 minutes everyday is must.
That sounds like a good recommendation for most folks, however, if you do any high intensity stuff or heavy lifting, a rest day or two may be warranted. For me, I listen to my body to know when to rest between workouts or when to even take a week off, which can be a good thing after several months of going at it.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:22 AM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am still working. I exercise because I have a sedentary job (with commute) and I don't want to be like many of my friends, who take pills to control their blood pressure and cholesterol levels and who can't walk up a steep hill without getting out of breath.

I run for exercise because I've found that if I can just get out there after work, and then get a mile (or 2 or 3) away from the house, then I have no choice but to get my butt home again. When I am in one of my strength training modes I find that, after 8 - 10 weeks of following the plan, I start to lose focus and it's way too easy to quit on the workout, so running is what I always come back to. Running is also a pretty cheap option. I run 4 days a week and about 25 miles a week. I also do Yoga and I'll throw in some other workouts from time to time.

Regular exercise allows me to eat and drink the "good things" in life, albeit with moderation and means that I can spend the whole day away from the hotel when I'm on vacation, just walking around and seeing the sites. You can add me to the camp that thinks that regular exercise is something that I can control and that can help me have a longer and higher quality of life.

Running slows aging and postpones disability, study finds
Regular running slows the effects of aging, according to a new study from the School of Medicine that tracked 500 older runners for more than 20 years. Elderly runners have fewer disabilities, a longer span of active life and are half as likely as nonrunners to die early deaths, the research found.

I found this article while looking for a long term study that I read some time ago that tracked Stanford employees and retirees. I am not sure the subjects in this study are the same group, but that other study reached the same basic conclusions about the meritorious benefits of regular exercise. The thing that makes that study interesting is that group of individuals, while not being a fair sample of the US general population, is probably pretty representative of the members of this forum.
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:30 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Walking is a great way to "rest" between high-intensity days.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:23 AM   #69
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Walking is a great way to "rest" between high-intensity days.
Yep, a great way to exercise every day, even with out the HIT.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #70

I have real trouble with planned exercise - things like going to the gym or using an exercise bike. I don't know whether it's due to a lack of self-discipline, or some strange type of ADD, but the few times I have tried these types of planned exercises, I get bored and cannot stay the course. Put simply, I can only exercise when it is a natural part of something I am already doing. I don't play any sports, so my sole form of exercise, other than walking, is riding a bicycle. I don't own a car, so apart from walking and taking the bus, bicycle is how I get around. I use the bike 5 or 6 days a week, and probably cycle about 4 miles total for each trip. It's not a whole lot, but it has to be better than nothing.

I don't know if the exercise has anything to do with it or if I'm just lucky, but my systolic, diastolic and heart rate are all very good. Sorry for the qualifier, but I forget the actual numbers. I have been told on more than one occasion that my heart rate is athletic (it is quite low).

One thing that concerns me is the great deal of time I spend sitting down in front of my desk at home. I have spent the last few years building various ham radio-related projects, all of which involves sitting down. In a few months, I will have finished the last of these projects and am very much looking forward to spending more time standing and walking around. I spend so much time sitting down that at times it feels stressful. A stand-up bench would be a great idea, and I may still do something along those lines.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:57 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Yep, a great way to exercise every day, even with out the HIT.

+1....Or so says my knees and back anyways.... And they are now the Boss of my workout regimen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

I have had so many expensive gym memberships in my lifetime and I end up using them the first week and never again. I don't like scheduled classes at all, I'm not very good at doing what everyone else is doing. But I know I am out of shape in so many ways - have diabetes as well - and know that some sort of movement is good. I walk the dog every day and then take a walk for myself later in the day. I have some stretchy bands that the PT gave me for rehab and I use those "when" I remember. Shoulder and hand injuries from years ago prevent me from doing weights and any Yoga class around here is very expensive.

But walking is free and you see some interesting things. I just have to do it steadily or I tend to get back to sloth.
LinCella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:14 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinCella View Post
I have had so many expensive gym memberships in my lifetime and I end up using them the first week and never again. I don't like scheduled classes at all, I'm not very good at doing what everyone else is doing. But I know I am out of shape in so many ways - have diabetes as well - and know that some sort of movement is good. I walk the dog every day and then take a walk for myself later in the day. I have some stretchy bands that the PT gave me for rehab and I use those "when" I remember. Shoulder and hand injuries from years ago prevent me from doing weights and any Yoga class around here is very expensive.

But walking is free and you see some interesting things. I just have to do it steadily or I tend to get back to sloth.
What I have found is that it is important for me to figure out what my barrier is to engaging in certain forms of exercise and what will cause me to exercise more.

The barriers I found I had for walking and using my exercise bike were boredom. Solution: Treadmill and bike are in the room with a TV with a DVR. I only watch the TV when I'm either on the treadmill or bike (or briefly resting between sessions). Another Solution: Walk outside with my husband.

I had the same problem with the gym - joining and not going. I looked at why and it was 2 things. One was the same boredom when I was using the elliptical - Solutions: DH and I go together and are on adjacent machines and can chat. Also take earphones so I can plug them in and listen to TV.

The other problem was that it was too easy to get busy and just not go. I solved that by buying personal training sessions and then scheduling the sessions. I have to go or I lose the money (I can reschedule but need to give notice). Also, I found that I wasn't doing some exercises because I wasn't sure what exercises were best. Using a trainer helped with that too.

I find that once I figure out why I don't like certain things, then I am much likely to be able to find a solution that I do like.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:36 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Very helpful analysis.

I have been having trouble lately with indoor rowing in the unseasonably warm weather we have been having. Like most people in Seattle, I have no AC. Today was cooler, and I enjoyed rowing. My plan is to try to get going earlier so I can finish before it warms up, or failing that, to buy a portable air conditioner.

It's fine to go out walking, but overall I like to do some rowing and some walking in the hills here. If I can get going while it is still cool, I will save money and space in the room, so that is my first thing to try.

Ha
Old 05-31-2015, 07:45 AM   #75
gone traveling

Ha, have you tried a portable fan placed in front of the equipment?
Old 05-31-2015, 09:19 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ha, have you tried a portable fan placed in front of the equipment?
Yes, I have a fan in front and one behind! I think I am just not as tough as you guys from warmer climates.

I am up early today so I will soon get to rowing. Also, our weather may be clouding up a bit which usually means cooler too.

Ha
Old 05-31-2015, 10:26 AM   #77
gone traveling

Although high temps make exercising difficult, what takes it out of me is high humidity coupled with > 85 degree temps. Do not like that turkish bath feeling.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:29 AM   #78

Working out is almost a way of life for us. Workout strenuously most days( goal is 25 times per month. Usually 45 minutes of erobic exercise (elliptical or spinning bike with max heart rate at least 150) along with stretches and other core work on the mat. Have a trainer twice a week on top of this for resistance training. Been generally doing this for 35 years but even more so since retirement 9 years ago.

Goal is to maintain mobility as long as possible. My mother (90 ) is not mobile and is pretty well confined to her wheel chair at her nursing home. Not much of a life really and I really hope to do better.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Although high temps make exercising difficult, what takes it out of me is high humidity coupled with > 85 degree temps. Do not like that turkish bath feeling.
We don't exercise outside too much during mid day in the summertime either. I used to when I was younger, and in fact used to cut the grass all summer myself, plus other yard work. However exercising in extreme heat/humidity seems to get harder the older we get. Now that we are in our 60's, we pay someone to mow and go to the gym regularly instead.

Ha, if you have two fans then I don't have many suggestions other than re-joining that gym you used to belong to, and rowing there. I am assuming that they have AC, but who knows, they may not.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Goal is to maintain mobility as long as possible.
That is my main goal in exercising, too, to maintain mobility and strength into my old age. Use it or lose it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote