Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

The secret to a happier, healthier life: Just retire
Old 12-24-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The secret to a happier, healthier life: Just retire

Who would have thought...? I'm in. Just 6 more months...

Quote:
Retirement, contrary to popular opinion, is not the time in which your satisfaction with life declines and your health deteriorates. Instead, it’s the exact opposite: Retirement is likely to improve your overall happiness and health, according to a working paper published by the National Bureau of Economic Research this year.
The secret to a happier, healthier life: Just retire - MarketWatch

Quote:
We find that retirement improves both happiness and health. We find that life satisfaction improves immediately upon retirement and these effects are long-lasting. While we don’t find immediate effects on measurable health outcomes, we do find positive health impacts four or more years beyond retirement. This finding is consistent with the idea that health changes slowly over time so that retirement can have long run health benefits. We find no effect of retirement on health care utilization.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2015, 04:33 PM   #2

DW definitely agrees with these findings. Now if I could just get her to pack it in too.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:49 PM   #3

In the spirit of this thread, here is an article from The Onion posted last February:

http://www.theonion.com/article/heal...sk-leavi-37957

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
In the spirit of this thread, here is an article from The Onion posted last February:

http://www.theonion.com/article/heal...sk-leavi-37957

Enjoy!

Thanks for sending that link. The Onion cracks me up!

If you haven't seen it before, search their website for the "Apple Wheel" video. It's a classic.

diehard1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Who would have thought...? I'm in. Just 6 more months...

The secret to a happier, healthier life: Just retire - MarketWatch
After 6 years of retirement now, there is no doubt that this has been true for me. I will say, though, that you have to plan in advance for what you will actually DO in retirement (how you will spend your time), before you leave the working world. I thought about it a lot in the years leading up to retirement, and I have had no problem keeping myself occupied, doing things I enjoy. As for the health aspect, my health has definitely improved since retirement, mostly due to having more time to cook and eat healthier meals, exercise more, and of course lose some of the stress associated with working. But, again, you have to be willing to put a little effort into it, especially with regard to daily exercise. You don't need to go to the gym every day (or at all, really), but you need to stay active in some way. For me, daily exercise is so ingrained now that I would really miss it if I couldn't do it for some reason.

As I've said in other threads, taking care of my health is my "job" now, and I am my own boss, which is great.......
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:51 PM   #6

I am going to find out soon. Today was my last day at work.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:45 PM   #7

Congrats robnplunder. A banner day to be sure!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:57 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Congrats!
Old 12-24-2015, 09:31 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow! Congratulations.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:47 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Congratulations.

I agree with both articles. Best move of my life. Not only is my health better, DW'S is too.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
After 6 years of retirement now, there is no doubt that this has been true for me. I will say, though, that you have to plan in advance for what you will actually DO in retirement (how you will spend your time), before you leave the working world. I thought about it a lot in the years leading up to retirement, and I have had no problem keeping myself occupied, doing things I enjoy. As for the health aspect, my health has definitely improved since retirement, mostly due to having more time to cook and eat healthier meals, exercise more, and of course lose some of the stress associated with working. But, again, you have to be willing to put a little effort into it, especially with regard to daily exercise. You don't need to go to the gym every day (or at all, really), but you need to stay active in some way. For me, daily exercise is so ingrained now that I would really miss it if I couldn't do it for some reason.

As I've said in other threads, taking care of my health is my "job" now, and I am my own boss, which is great.......
I planned for spontaneity in retirement.
I agree with everything you said about being the "boss of your health" in retirement. Health is above all.
Birdie Num Nums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:48 AM   #12

Quote:

Merry Christmas!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-25-2015, 02:18 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations robnplunder !!!

I retired earlier in the year, am enjoying the relaxed pace of life, but I need to remind myself not to get lazy.

Merry Christmas & wishing you the best in retirement.
rkser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:27 AM   #14

Thanks all for the congrats. Related to this topic, I believe retirement will benefit most people when it comes to improving health. I believe I will live longer. The work was killing me surely, and slowly.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #15

Congrats robnplunder.

7 years into ER, I absolutely agree on the happiness aspect.

With regards to health, we were both fit and healthy before ER, so no obvious change there. We are a LOT less stressed though (more like - not stressed at all) and I am sure there are long term benefits to that.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote