Join Early Retirement Today

The Superbug
Old 11-16-2019, 07:17 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

The Superbug

Major breaking news from the medical community:
(about the superbug)
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...ought-n1081086.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2019, 07:34 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Imoldernu - aren’t you watching too much alarmist TV?

There are plenty of nasty scenarios for which there seems little point in preparing. You can spend the rest of your life worrying and preparing for some nasty scenario. Or you can spend the rest of it making the most of the health and well-being you have today.

I’m prudent in my choices and not squandering my assets or health, but beyond that so much of my future is out of my control that I don’t worry about it. Nor do I pay attention to any media trying to make me worry about the future. They are looking to line their pockets at my expense.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:44 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I used to get panicked over the possibility of pandemics as Mad Cow Disease, E Bola, Lymes Disease, Mersa and even the flu. Then I decided worrying about such things is causing me more harm than accepting they exist and moving on.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:44 AM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Imoldernu - aren’t you watching too much alarmist TV?
Perhaps... but after reading the article, I think the subject will be important in the future.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Imoldernu is oldernme and I am inspired that he's still posting comprehensibly. Kind of a canary in the coal mine for us following shortly behind. And a bit of paranoia is in order as we age out.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

As someone who worked in the medical community, Superbugs are a big concern. Too many are now resistant to our antibiotics, and science is having difficulty developing medications to deal with them.
Best defense is a good offense : wash you hands frequently.
I use hand sanitizer even after touching the menus at restaurants!
Old 11-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Best defense is a good offense : wash you hands frequently.
I use hand sanitizer even after touching the menus at restaurants!
+1
I watched a special on AlJazeera that was almost entirely devoted to that single subject. New rules for workers in many disciplines and new ways of staying clean...new style of easy on easy off gloves, individual multiple hand washing sinks, as well as a new global project for cafeteria style, multiple person feeding places such as schools, hospitals, care centers etc... where danger of multiple infections would be more likely.

TromboneAl posted a story theme for a Global Pandemic, that was a long range view of the dangers that could be lurking.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...mic-95799.html

Almost forgotten today, the 1918 influenza epidemic of 1918, which infected 500 million people and killed as many as 100 million.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

At that time, the world population was under 2Billion people, versus almost 8Billion today
Old 11-16-2019, 11:10 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Perhaps... but after reading the article, I think the subject will be important in the future.
A thousand things might be important in the future. You can’t tell ahead of time which will have the biggest impact.

I did think the article gave practical advice, all of which I am already doing in terms of hygiene and careful use of antibiotics and care to restore the gut biome. But in terms of pandemics - way out of my hands.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:18 AM   #9
Administrator

I actually feel safer now that we are retired, as we come into contact with far fewer people who could transmit a communicable disease. When she was teaching, the young wife was constantly exposed to all the little disease vectors in her classroom.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:41 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1
I watched a special on AlJazeera that was almost entirely devoted to that single subject. New rules for workers in many disciplines and new ways of staying clean...new style of easy on easy off gloves, individual multiple hand washing sinks, as well as a new global project for cafeteria style, multiple person feeding places such as schools, hospitals, care centers etc... where danger of multiple infections would be more likely.

TromboneAl posted a story theme for a Global Pandemic, that was a long range view of the dangers that could be lurking.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...mic-95799.html

Almost forgotten today, the 1918 influenza epidemic of 1918, which infected 500 million people and killed as many as 100 million.

At that time, the world population was under 2Billion people, versus almost 8Billion today
Even before the 1918 epidemic there were many regional flus. My grandfather was orphaned as his DF died in 1893 and DM in 1895. Same regional flu, never left the valley they lived in. Oh yeah no effective antibiotics.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

It's good for retirees to be able to avoid the mob and go out for necessities when people are at work. It minimizes contact with the public.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
This article from "Clinical and Infectious Diseases" makes a strong case that the high death rate in 1918 could be attributed to mis-use of aspirin. Just another reason I prefer to stay out of the belly of the beast (the medical system).
https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/49/9/1405/301441
Old 11-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #13

Apparently the super bugs are not that big a problem as there are still 7.7 billion humans hanging around the planet.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Last night I was listening to the This Week in Microbiology podcast. Interesting discussion of bacteria who go dormant in the body avoiding antibiotics but come back to life later (persisters). Our immune system sees the dormant bugs but can't reach them. This Week in Microbiology | The podcast that explores unseen life on Earth

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31608580
Old 11-16-2019, 10:32 PM   #15

They are reporting that the number of dead is twice what they were previously reporting. Now counted at 35,000 per year. Still less than the number that die by either guns or motor vehicle accidents. In terms of Quality Adjusted Life Years (QALYs) lost, the burden of 'illness' from guns and MVAs is much higher as these tend to be younger and healthier individuals.

That said, definitely, measures need to be taken to curb the widespread and often unnecessary use of antibiotics. Somewhat hard to convince the companies selling antibiotics of that though. Or the individuals who think they need them for every sore throat, sinus, ear, etc. The human race survived quite nicely without antibiotics which were only developed starting in the early 20th century, I expect that it will survive quite nicely when they are no longer effective.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:24 AM   #16

Huge deal for me. I had c-diff and it was horrible. Got cured and am just fine, but I learned more than I wanted to about superbugs and am vigilant. Antibiotics brought it on and therefore I am very careful about there use and will not use them unless there's an overwhelming need.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:02 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

C-diff was the final cause of death for my father after hospital antibiotics for heart bypass surgery.
MRSA was a factor in my sister's death after infection following knee replacement.
Hospitals are horrible breeding grounds for these problems.
I don't think the general public is aware of how big this problem is.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:10 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakGrl View Post
Hospitals are horrible breeding grounds for these problems.
I don't think the general public is aware of how big this problem is.
Yep, BIL pickup a severe sepsis infection while in a hospital... It almost killed him.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:20 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I did some microbiology in the past, and am old enough to remember doctors who still had pre antibiotic training. Re urinary track infections (UTIs) I believe they used gentian violet (crystal violet?) which turned the urine purple. I wonder if that treatment is still effective and safe?
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Indeed, from what I've been gathering over the years, this problem is going to get a lot worse. I remember hearing in recent years that we are headed into a post-antibacterial world. Pretty scary - and people should be.

The worst is yet to come - this is just getting started.

------------------

In other medical news, I just saw a mainstream news story that statins are proclaimed as a miracle drug that a recent large study shows can be more effective than surgery for heart disease.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote