Join Early Retirement Today

The US may not be number one...
Old 06-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The US may not be number one...

...when it comes to an unhealthy lifestyle:

Quote:
Researchers analyzed data from more than 6,500 participants and discovered that almost the entire adult population of Scotland (97.5 percent) were either cigarette smokers, heavy drinkers, physically inactive, overweight or living on a bad diet all risk factors for serious disease.
Does Scotland have a death wish?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Not surprising. I was in Glasgow for a conference a few years back. It was darn near impossible to find a fresh vegetable, a salad, or something that wasn't deep fried. And lots of drunks stumbling around the streets. Nice place but the above quote does not surprise me at all.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Haggis. 'nuff said.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds like I should have spent my 20's there.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My peoples!

Well, I guess you can take the Scot out of Scotland, but you can't take the Scotch (whiskey) bottle out of his hand...er, or something like that. I got Scots-Irish genes from both parents (splendiferous alcoholics, God rest their souls) and spent a fair bit of my teens and twenties smashed enough to think I actually was in Scotland. I just hope DW's pure Germanic blood can offset the effect in our boys. Maybe they'll just drink beer.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I think it may be the result of having to live there. I doubt that it is hereditary.

Are any expat Scots still eating haggis? (Dad was from Glasgow.)
Old 06-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

unexpected reviews on this:
Traditional Scottish Haggis (Pack of 2): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

CIA world fact book has the US 2010 estimated life expectancy at 78.24 years. The UK is at 79.16 years. Is life in England so very healthy that even the evil Scot habits can't drag the average below the US?
Old 06-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
CIA world fact book has the US 2010 estimated life expectancy at 78.24 years. The UK is at 79.16 years. Is life in England so very healthy that even the evil Scot habits can't drag the average below the US?
Maybe so! I guess one's lifespan isn't 100% a result of living a virtuous lifestyle, after all. Heredity matters too, as do those environmental factors that are beyond one's control. It seems to me that I read somewhere that some ethnic groups have a higher or lower life expectancy than others, all else being equal. Can't provide a link, though.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #9

Yeah, but Scotland-bashing on a global basis is not fashionable so they can be unhealthy under the radar.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingHomework View Post
Not surprising. I was in Glasgow for a conference a few years back. It was darn near impossible to find a fresh vegetable, a salad, or something that wasn't deep fried. And lots of drunks stumbling around the streets. Nice place but the above quote does not surprise me at all.

LOL. I visted Scotland once in the Summer and the place struck me as grey, dull and perpetually damp. I would be a drunk too if I had to live there.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You've got to be careful with those life expectancy statistics. The US infant mortality (and therefore life expectancy) statistics include any infant that showed any signs of life at birth. It doesn't matter how many months of gestation or what the child's weight was. According to Wikipedia :
Quote:
France, the Czech Republic, Ireland, the Netherlands, and Poland do not report all live births of babies under 500 g and/or 22 weeks of gestation.
. It also seems that the EU uses the WHO criteria, which is slightly different (and results in lower perinatal death numbers) than the US criteria. This issue comes up a lot when people compare infant mortality in the US with that of Europe. Obviously, infants who die and who are counted in the life expectancy statistics skew the numbers a lot.
If we adjusted for all these perinatal factors (maybe used "life expectancy at 1 year old: instead of "life expectancy at birth) then we'd have a more useful figure for the present purposes.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Again quoting estimated 2010 CIA figures, the UK infant mortality rate/1000 is 4.78 while the UW is 6.14. Even if the rate is reported differently it doesn't seem that 1.36/1000 is enough difference to make up for about a year/person of decreased lifetime. I figure the big difference might be the UK drunk drivers don't have enough room to get their cars up to a good fatal speed. But that's just a theory.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I went to Scotland many years ago. I remember the heather, beautiful coastline, castles, Lock Lomond and lots of birds. Beautiful, mystical place.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:57 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
LOL. I visted Scotland once in the Summer and the place struck me as grey, dull and perpetually damp. I would be a drunk too if I had to live there.
I have a bunch of McDowell ancestors over there that I suppose I should try to track down someday.

I spent over half of 1984-86 in Holy Loch, Scotland doing refits on a U.S. Navy ballistic missile submarine. It was typical Cold War routine-- six weeks' work compressed into 21 days before we went to sea to hold back the Evil Empire.

The "good" thing about Holy Loch was its latitude (56 N). The sun was up so long during the summers that you had 18 hours of daylight and could get lots of topside work done. During the winters it was so cold that no one wanted to risk leaving the warmth of the boat, even for the local lager. And once you'd sampled the delights of nearby Dunoon, that was it. For the next 20 days you were content to work long hours on the boat to get the heck out of there, comforted by the knowledge that you weren't really missing anything.

Maybe it's different now. Maybe someday it'll be one of the celebrated stops on a "Cold War Memory Tour". But I'm not real eager to leave Hawaii to find out...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:17 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Again quoting estimated 2010 CIA figures, the UK infant mortality rate/1000 is 4.78 while the UW is 6.14. Even if the rate is reported differently it doesn't seem that 1.36/1000 is enough difference to make up for about a year/person of decreased lifetime. I figure the big difference might be the UK drunk drivers don't have enough room to get their cars up to a good fatal speed. But that's just a theory.
The 1.36/1000 difference might not seem like much, but when there are 4,300,000 babies born each year in the US compared to the 650,000 in the UK, I think it could have some significant effects on life expectancy. With the estimated population of th UK at roughly 61 million and the US at roughly 307 million there definitely are a higher percentage of babies in the US, so I would think it would effect the age expectancy a little more.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Rather than speculating as to whether the UK looks at live birth different from us, I used WolframAlpha to find some age 10 stats. The UK (80.27) still beats the US (78.56).

us life expectancy at age 10 - Wolfram|Alpha

uk life expectancy at age 10 - Wolfram|Alpha

The age 5 differences from age 10 were not significant.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:06 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ick... If freshly prepared Haggis sounds unappetizing? What da ya think about Haggis from a can!

Quote:
Haggis is a dish containing sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally simmered in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggis
Old 06-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Rather than speculating as to whether the UK looks at live birth different from us, I used WolframAlpha to find some age 10 stats.
Martha, do you want to becomea killjoy?

Ha
Old 06-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I'm working on it.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Rather than speculating as to whether the UK looks at live birth different from us, I used WolframAlpha to find some age 10 stats.
Martha, thanks for the info. It looks like the factors surrounding the live birth stats don't account for the entire difference, but they might account for about half of it.

UK/US difference at birth: 1.71 years
UK/US difference at 10 yo: .92 years

I guess because their attained age is so small, including even a relatively few children who die at birth could have a big impact on the computed average life expectancy number.