Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-07-2015, 09:26 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
LOL, went to the doctor yesterday because I've been having foot pain. found out I have arthritis in the foot!!!

Who the heck gets arthritis in their foot??

Only me...
Not only you. I've had diagnosed arthritis in both feet since my late 40s (now almost 55). So much for that dream of hiking the PCT. Seriously though, making accommodations like giving up running for cycling make a huge difference. So while I'm probably never doing any more long backpacking trips, if I'm careful, day hikes and sometimes overnighters are still in reach.

I've worked hard to convince myself that's good enough. DW (who LOVES backpacking) isn't so sure.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2015, 09:35 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Moemg,

They also sell easy-threading needles (that have a slot instead of an eye). Like these http://www.amazon.com/COLONIAL-Easy-...bxgy_ac_text_y

omni
Thanks ! I am going to get some of those and also that threader that W2r suggested .

Old 05-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #23

I haven't noticed anything. Then again, I don't notice things as well as I used to.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-07-2015, 09:43 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Things we can't do anymore

When I walk into a room, always know why I'm there.
Since the dawn of time, man has wondered "Why am I here?"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:43 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
A very timely thread. I feel older than Methuselah today! My brain tells me that my body SHOULD be able to do something easily, and then my body tells me, "No way, you're dreaming!"
My mind's making promises my body can't fill. - Little Feat
Old 05-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Are we twins separated at birth? Other than the arthritis, (shouldn't temp fate) you just described me. My grandfather had the shakes so bad, fear I'm going to end up like him. They said his was "miners asthma", he did work in the mines, but he was a smoker too so he probably had COPD. Heck I quit at 43, same year the shakes started. I've never asked my doc about it, maybe I don't wanna know the answer?

🐑
Twins? I guess we'll never know. I don't know of any family history of shakes or tremors, but my parents both died relatively young. They were smokers, but I never did like that stuff and having asthma myself, so it's probably good I didn't. I'll be seeing a neurologist at the end of the month to see what they have to say, because I'd kind of like to know the answer.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Age 56.6 here.

I actually went through several years of dealing with bilateral carpal tunnel, tendinitis, RSI in upper body in my early 40s. It was a real PITA to have to give up things like softball, racquetball, volleyball, golf, and any manually intensive or repetitive activities in daily life. My grip strength went to hell. It was determined that I had an outcome of a permanent partial disability (10%) in my hands. If I continued to w*rk, it would have worsened.
Besides the nasty politics, it was the biggest reason for me to quit. I did not get disability retirement.

Present day...8 years after FIRE, I am actually regaining some of my hand strength back and have nowhere near the upper body issues because I am not on the computer stuck in an office chair 8 hours per day.
I do my hand exercises and all over body stretches every day. I use light hand barbells for toning and overall upper body health. I am steadily getting some improvement.
The chronic pain from my cervical spine was my main reason for me to quit two years ago, and leaving work has allowed me to gain more control over the pain. I also had carpal tunnel and worked through it with exercises taught to me by an occupational therapist. Can't get past this shaking in my hands that has affected me this past year. I didn't get disability either and didn't even consider pursuing it. Probably should have.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #28

Hmmm, let me count the ways [currently age 62]:

Reading fine print darned near impossible.
Hearing - I now use those hearing assistance devices at plays, often use closed captioning on my TV. I hear the sounds, but many of the words are muffled. Hearing aids likely in the next couple of years.
Lifting anything heavy. And the definition of "heavy" keeps getting lower
Retired from softball 5 years ago, as my once-mediocre playing skills deteriorated to downright bad.
Anything beyond the simplest DIY repairs. I either no longer have the skills or the desire.
And quite seriously, my driving skills. I drive slower now, triple check before going in reverse (even with the back-up camera/sound alert) or changing lanes. I just don't trust my initial driving instincts.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:30 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Old 05-07-2015, 10:37 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't hit it every night like I used to.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
Don't hit it every night like I used to.
You may have to become a sitzpinkler...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:53 AM   #32

Can't pee, can't sleep, can't hear, can't see, can't eat, can't drink, can't drive at night,

DW in her most condescending voice: "But let's focus on what you can do"
Old 05-07-2015, 11:01 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Twins? I guess we'll never know. I don't know of any family history of shakes or tremors, but my parents both died relatively young. They were smokers, but I never did like that stuff and having asthma myself, so it's probably good I didn't. I'll be seeing a neurologist at the end of the month to see what they have to say, because I'd kind of like to know the answer.
Probably not, I fortunately knew my family history. Not sure if GF tremors were due to COPD. That's what the docs said, but that was in the early '60s. It really could have been anything.

Good luck with the neurologist.

🐑
Old 05-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Getting older stinks, and I'm only 58. I'm finding there are more and more things I'm having trouble doing or just plain can't do anymore. I do have issues with my cervical spine, arthritis and nerve damage. Lately my hands shake so much I need help from DW for some very simple activities. I'm unable to carry a regular size cup of coffee from my kitchen to my favorite chair without spilling half of it. I'm barely able to write a check that is legible (I have to print slowly) and I've given up handwriting anything else because no one (including myself) can read it. I tried changing out the thermostat to a WiFi version, but couldn't manage the wires and small screws.
Anyone else finding it's harder or impossible to do simple activities earlier in life than they expected?
I am sorry that you are having this difficulty, Dash Man.

Ha
Old 05-07-2015, 11:44 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #36

Quote:
Glad to hear you're seeing a neurologist. If you were 78 I wouldn't worry so much about the shaking but at 58 I'd want to know what's up.

We have numerous +80 year olds playing pickleball at our club every day so I know it's possible to stay physically fit and active for many years.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:54 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Getting older stinks, and I'm only 58. I'm finding there are more and more things I'm having trouble doing or just plain can't do anymore. I do have issues with my cervical spine, arthritis and nerve damage. Lately my hands shake so much I need help from DW for some very simple activities. I'm unable to carry a regular size cup of coffee from my kitchen to my favorite chair without spilling half of it. I'm barely able to write a check that is legible (I have to print slowly) and I've given up handwriting anything else because no one (including myself) can read it. I tried changing out the thermostat to a WiFi version, but couldn't manage the wires and small screws.
Anyone else finding it's harder or impossible to do simple activities earlier in life than they expected?
Are you under a Dr's supervision for the unsteady hands? Because neither I at 55+ nor DH almost 60 are having trouble with hand shake or any of the other things you report.

58 seems young to me.

OK - glad to see your planned visit with a neurologist.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:59 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
My eyesight is not as good as in the past. Now working on small things like all small screw driver, I have to take off my glasses to see up close. Oh yeah, I drop things more than I used to, like my keys.

Im the opposite. I have to put my readers on to work with screw drivers and screwers...Damnedest thing...I can see the screwdriver and screw, but cant see the insertion point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2015, 12:04 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

My near vision is horrible and I wear reading glasses all day when inside.

My far vision, which was lousy, hasn't worsened. That is corrected with contact lenses.

I used to only need readig glasses for reading. Now I need them for cooking and any other activity at arms length.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:09 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
My near vision is horrible and I wear reading glasses all day when inside.

My far vision, which was lousy, hasn't worsened. That is corrected with contact lenses.

I used to only need readig glasses for reading. Now I need them for cooking and any other activity at arms length.

Its all about lighting now isn't it? I can actually read a newspaper outside with sunlight. Indoor lighting just isn't enough anymore. Distance past my arm length is fine. Don't really see a need to go see a doctor for typical old age eyes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk