Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-14-2015, 10:09 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
Feeling the need to do some physical labor I dug 300 foot of trench for a security camera upgrade project on the homestead. Lots of aches and pains over the course of digging and backfilling, but I've found in the last few days that my body is bouncing back from the pains much more quickly than when I started about two weeks back.

So there - I'm pounding my chest and saying I can still do it!

Ouch *@!, dang it that hurts!
Yikes. As a teen, spent one summer digging out footings prior to the concrete pour (among other foundation tasks). Now, at only age 55, I shudder at the impact of spending an entire day doing that.

Too much time driving a desk.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 10:17 AM   #142
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Feeling the need to do some physical labor I dug 300 foot of trench for a security camera upgrade project on the homestead. Lots of aches and pains over the course of digging and backfilling, but I've found in the last few days that my body is bouncing back from the pains much more quickly than when I started about two weeks back.

Unless this was a VERY concious choice to get more exercise I would have rented a walk behind trencher. That would be enough of a workout for me! Digging holes (or trenches!) to fill them back up is like that version of hell where he keeps rolling the giant stone up the hill.
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
I'm curious - which recumbent trike did you try and what were your impressions?
Huskies are quite heavy-duty, but they are really dogs to pedal.
I couldn't tell you the brand but a friend has a quite expensive recumbent that I rode around town. I just don't like the recumbent position I prefer the normal sitting position of a regular trike.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #144
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The only chest pounding would be the paramedics trying to get my heart started again...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:28 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I can't even dig a hole to plant a tree, but here in Pennsylvania we have clay....nasty rock filled heavy red clay. That's what machines were invented for.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:14 PM   #146
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
Unless this was a VERY concious choice to get more exercise I would have rented a walk behind trencher. That would be enough of a workout for me! Digging holes (or trenches!) to fill them back up is like that version of hell where he keeps rolling the giant stone up the hill.
Knowing one of my far-from-being-ER'd co-w@rkers had a trencher he had told me I could borrow if ever needed, I called and asked him about it. The one he had was a bit of a monster, one of the largest wheeled models, next size up is on tracks! Didn't want to make that much of a mess of the yard. Checked on a few rental places trying to find one suitable for my project, but I'd eat up the better part of day just driving it back and forth. And yes, it was a very conscious choice to get the exercise, combined with being stubbornly frugal to a fault.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:33 PM   #147

A little more info on why I am looking at a Husky trike. I'm a big guy at 6'6" and close to 300 pounds. The normal bike or even trike is not rated for that. My old mountain bike is probably 20 years old and I have replaced more spokes and rims than I care to count. The Husky is the only thing I have found that is designed for carrying heavy loads. I am not a cross country rider I just ride around town mostly. I have routes laid out that can give me up to 6 miles just around town. There is also a nice bike trail that runs about 8 miles from town to Icelandic State Park.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:24 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I never had that problem. Being physically unattractive has its advantages!
The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides.....Audrey Hepburn

Old 05-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #149
Dryer sheet aficionado

As a teen, spent one summer digging out footings prior to the concrete pour (among other foundation tasks)..........Just completed the same task. Cleared out an old shed footing, concrete and field stone. I am feeling the pain at 57, but consider it a victory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dhickman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:09 AM   #150
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
No longer drive 12 hours.
On trip to Florida spent second night in Tampa; "only 3 hours from home" takes on a different meaning when you're over 60.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:24 AM   #151
Give me a forum ...

I have battled insomnia most of my life. However when I was slept it was very deep. One night the house down the corner burnt to the ground, I didn't wake up.

🐑
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
No longer drive 12 hours.
On trip to Florida spent second night in Tampa; "only 3 hours from home" takes on a different meaning when you're over 60.
I'm very grateful that although DH has had to cut back on a lot due to health issues (and the side effects of meds to treat them), he can still drive long distances. We prefer driving to flying when it's an option and made 12+-hour drives to family weddings, one in March and one last weekend, and he did all the driving although typically it was spread over 2 days. (We did Austin-KC in one shot.)

I'm blessed- I'm 62 and haven't had to slow down that much. I did my last sprint triathlon last year; the water was too cold and my wet suit was probably a bit tight and I just couldn't get a deep breath. I got out of the water and finished the bike ride (12 miles) and the walk/run (5K) but of course my time wasn't official. I sold the wet suit on e-Bay. Of course, the issue was really the cold water; I might be persuaded to do another tri that distance (the swim is 1/2 mile) in warmer water.

So, this year the Tour de Bier was on the same date as the triathlon I skipped. Both were yesterday. I got out on my trusty bike and rode 35 miles with a couple of stops for refreshments (many, as advertised, included sampling beer but I limited mine to a small sample of a dark beer at one stop and had healthier stuff at the others). There are several fun charity rides in this area (one is the Tour de BBQ) and the first one of the season is always a little scary because I'm a year older- but now I'm looking forward to the rest of them!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:54 PM   #153

When I was 15 a group of us rode our bicycles about 12 miles to the Washington Monument, climbed the stairs (they let people do that then) and walked back down the stairs, then rode our bicycles back home. No big deal, then.

If I tried that now it'd probably kill me if I could do it at all. For sure my right knee would be in agony for weeks.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:21 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides.....Audrey Hepburn

It was well said by one who was endowed with natural beauty, enhanced by years of ballet for poise and posture. Yet she worked hard to be serene and polite regardless of circumstances.

http://sites.psu.edu/darbypassion2/2...e-of-elegance/
Old 05-18-2015, 08:03 PM   #155

Things we can't do anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
I'm curious - which recumbent trike did you try and what were your impressions?

Huskies are quite heavy-duty, but they are really dogs to pedal.

Google for "cargo bike" or Danish cargo bike. These are bikes with two wheels in the front usually with a box ( of various sizes ) above /between the front wheels. These are usually a lot easier to pedal - they're used a lot in Denmark to haul small kids also so they usually designed to be easier to pedal than the two rear wheel kind -

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:40 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
Google for "cargo bike" or Danish cargo bike. These are bikes with two wheels in the front usually with a box ( of various sizes ) above /between the front wheels. These are usually a lot easier to pedal - they're used a lot in Denmark to haul small kids also so they usually designed to be easier to pedal than the two rear wheel kind -

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
I checked them out and almost 2,000 Euros ($2200) is more than I am prepared to pay for a trike.