Join Early Retirement Today

Things we can't do anymore
Old 05-07-2015, 06:51 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Getting older stinks, and I'm only 58. I'm finding there are more and more things I'm having trouble doing or just plain can't do anymore. I do have issues with my cervical spine, arthritis and nerve damage. Lately my hands shake so much I need help from DW for some very simple activities. I'm unable to carry a regular size cup of coffee from my kitchen to my favorite chair without spilling half of it. I'm barely able to write a check that is legible (I have to print slowly) and I've given up handwriting anything else because no one (including myself) can read it. I tried changing out the thermostat to a WiFi version, but couldn't manage the wires and small screws.
Anyone else finding it's harder or impossible to do simple activities earlier in life than they expected?
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2015, 06:53 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I can't drink a case of beer anymore like I could in college. Or maybe I should say I can't handle the hangover the next day.

The ability to show up to work also disappeared rather suddenly in my 30's.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:10 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

My eyesight is not as good as in the past. Now working on small things like all small screw driver, I have to take off my glasses to see up close. Oh yeah, I drop things more than I used to, like my keys.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:13 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Getting older stinks, and I'm only 58. I'm finding there are more and more things I'm having trouble doing or just plain can't do anymore. I do have issues with my cervical spine, arthritis and nerve damage. Lately my hands shake so much I need help from DW for some very simple activities. I'm unable to carry a regular size cup of coffee from my kitchen to my favorite chair without spilling half of it. I'm barely able to write a check that is legible (I have to print slowly) and I've given up handwriting anything else because no one (including myself) can read it.
.....snip..
Are we twins separated at birth? Other than the arthritis, (shouldn't temp fate) you just described me. My grandfather had the shakes so bad, fear I'm going to end up like him. They said his was "miners asthma", he did work in the mines, but he was a smoker too so he probably had COPD. Heck I quit at 43, same year the shakes started. I've never asked my doc about it, maybe I don't wanna know the answer?

🐑
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:16 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wear shorts. At 58 and although slender and athletic my thighs have mysteriously turned ugly--rather mottled looking. Ugh.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:19 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am 58 as well. I can do most things (some not as well) but what I notice is I pay the price more heavily for overly strenuous things. Mostly back area for things like lifting. I now try to enlist nephews to do heavy lifiting when I can.

After a day of gardening I feel it in my shoulder back and legs. I keep on pushing it as well.

I did add more weight work to my workout about a year ago to hopefully help issues going forward.

Edit to add, eyesight as well...........I notice I forget to take my readers off sometimes....means I am headed to prescriptions soon.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:26 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Getting older stinks
Yeah, but it sure beats the alternative..
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:34 AM   #8

LOL, went to the doctor yesterday because I've been having foot pain. found out I have arthritis in the foot!!!

Who the heck gets arthritis in their foot??

Only me.

getting old may suck but remember guys there is only one other alternative.
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Yeah, but it sure beats the alternative..
oops sorry Michael, didn't see ya above me.
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:35 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
oops sorry Michael, didn't see ya above me.
No problem .. another one of those things that happens as you get old
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

When I walk into a room, always know why I'm there.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:49 AM   #12

To quote a Toby Keith song, "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:51 AM   #13
gone traveling

Eye sight and overall balance have deteriorated. Gave up playing adult hardball, then competitive shooting, and now softball fielding is going downhill.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:57 AM   #14

Eyes and ears. Eyes especially when one has been used to 20/10 vision their entire life.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:05 AM   #15

Can't sleep through the night without having to go pee. And, if I'm lucky enough to get back to sleep, can rarely sleep more than 6 1/2 hours.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:06 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

A very timely thread. I feel older than Methuselah today! My brain tells me that my body SHOULD be able to do something easily, and then my body tells me, "No way, you're dreaming!"

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:13 AM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Sewing ! It takes me forever to thread a needle .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:20 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Sewing ! It takes me forever to thread a needle .
Have you tried a needle threader (picture below)? Probably you have, but if not it might possibly be somewhat helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg needlethread2.jpg (4.6 KB, 560 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:22 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Age 56.6 here.

I actually went through several years of dealing with bilateral carpal tunnel, tendinitis, RSI in upper body in my early 40s. It was a real PITA to have to give up things like softball, racquetball, volleyball, golf, and any manually intensive or repetitive activities in daily life. My grip strength went to hell. It was determined that I had an outcome of a permanent partial disability (10%) in my hands. If I continued to w*rk, it would have worsened.
Besides the nasty politics, it was the biggest reason for me to quit. I did not get disability retirement.

Present day...8 years after FIRE, I am actually regaining some of my hand strength back and have nowhere near the upper body issues because I am not on the computer stuck in an office chair 8 hours per day.
I do my hand exercises and all over body stretches every day. I use light hand barbells for toning and overall upper body health. I am steadily getting some improvement.

My living room dancing (ballet moves and freestyle rocking it ) during the winter is doing wonders for me overall. The combination is helping me to develop and maintain good balance, stretch the entire body, and get a medium cardio w*rkout. Plus, it's FUN so that means I stick with it.

In good weather, I can perform light duty tasks out in the yard for short sessions. My gardening buddy is a godsend for the heavier stuff.

So overall, I am experiencing an IMPROVEMENT despite the chronological advances. I put a lot of effort into overcoming past RSI issues and delaying the onset of age related loss of abilities by staying ACTIVE.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Have you tried a needle threader (picture below)? Probably you have, but if not it might possibly be somewhat helpful.

Moemg,

They also sell easy-threading needles (that have a slot instead of an eye). Like these http://www.amazon.com/COLONIAL-Easy-...bxgy_ac_text_y

omni
omni550 is online now   Reply With Quote