Things we can't do anymore

Dash man

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Getting older stinks, and I'm only 58. I'm finding there are more and more things I'm having trouble doing or just plain can't do anymore. I do have issues with my cervical spine, arthritis and nerve damage. Lately my hands shake so much I need help from DW for some very simple activities. I'm unable to carry a regular size cup of coffee from my kitchen to my favorite chair without spilling half of it. I'm barely able to write a check that is legible (I have to print slowly) and I've given up handwriting anything else because no one (including myself) can read it. I tried changing out the thermostat to a WiFi version, but couldn't manage the wires and small screws.
Anyone else finding it's harder or impossible to do simple activities earlier in life than they expected?

I can't drink a case of beer anymore like I could in college. Or maybe I should say I can't handle the hangover the next day.

The ability to show up to work also disappeared rather suddenly in my 30's.

My eyesight is not as good as in the past. Now working on small things like all small screw driver, I have to take off my glasses to see up close. Oh yeah, I drop things more than I used to, like my keys.

Getting older stinks, and I'm only 58. I'm finding there are more and more things I'm having trouble doing or just plain can't do anymore. I do have issues with my cervical spine, arthritis and nerve damage. Lately my hands shake so much I need help from DW for some very simple activities. I'm unable to carry a regular size cup of coffee from my kitchen to my favorite chair without spilling half of it. I'm barely able to write a check that is legible (I have to print slowly) and I've given up handwriting anything else because no one (including myself) can read it.
.....snip..

Are we twins separated at birth? Other than the arthritis, (shouldn't temp fate) you just described me. My grandfather had the shakes so bad, fear I'm going to end up like him. They said his was "miners asthma", he did work in the mines, but he was a smoker too so he probably had COPD. Heck I quit at 43, same year the shakes started. I've never asked my doc about it, maybe I don't wanna know the answer?

🐑

Wear shorts. At 58 and although slender and athletic my thighs have mysteriously turned ugly--rather mottled looking. Ugh.

I am 58 as well. I can do most things (some not as well) but what I notice is I pay the price more heavily for overly strenuous things. Mostly back area for things like lifting. I now try to enlist nephews to do heavy lifiting when I can.

After a day of gardening I feel it in my shoulder back and legs. I keep on pushing it as well.

I did add more weight work to my workout about a year ago to hopefully help issues going forward.

Edit to add, eyesight as well...........I notice I forget to take my readers off sometimes....means I am headed to prescriptions soon.

Last edited:
LOL, went to the doctor yesterday because I've been having foot pain. found out I have arthritis in the foot!!!

Who the heck gets arthritis in their foot??

Only me.

getting old may suck but remember guys there is only one other alternative.

To quote a Toby Keith song, "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Eye sight and overall balance have deteriorated. Gave up playing adult hardball, then competitive shooting, and now softball fielding is going downhill.

Eyes and ears. Eyes especially when one has been used to 20/10 vision their entire life.

Can't sleep through the night without having to go pee. And, if I'm lucky enough to get back to sleep, can rarely sleep more than 6 1/2 hours.

A very timely thread. I feel older than Methuselah today! :D My brain tells me that my body SHOULD be able to do something easily, and then my body tells me, "No way, you're dreaming!" :facepalm:

Sewing ! It takes me forever to thread a needle .

Have you tried a needle threader (picture below)? Probably you have, but if not it might possibly be somewhat helpful.

Attachments

• needlethread2.jpg
    needlethread2.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 560
Age 56.6 here.

I actually went through several years of dealing with bilateral carpal tunnel, tendinitis, RSI in upper body in my early 40s. It was a real PITA to have to give up things like softball, racquetball, volleyball, golf, and any manually intensive or repetitive activities in daily life. My grip strength went to hell. It was determined that I had an outcome of a permanent partial disability (10%) in my hands. If I continued to w*rk, it would have worsened. :nonono:
Besides the nasty politics, it was the biggest reason for me to quit. I did not get disability retirement.

Present day...8 years after FIRE, I am actually regaining some of my hand strength back and have nowhere near the upper body issues because I am not on the computer stuck in an office chair 8 hours per day.
I do my hand exercises and all over body stretches every day. I use light hand barbells for toning and overall upper body health. I am steadily getting some improvement. :dance:

My living room dancing (ballet moves and freestyle rocking it :LOL:) during the winter is doing wonders for me overall. The combination is helping me to develop and maintain good balance, stretch the entire body, and get a medium cardio w*rkout. Plus, it's FUN so that means I stick with it.

In good weather, I can perform light duty tasks out in the yard for short sessions. My gardening buddy is a godsend for the heavier stuff.

So overall, I am experiencing an IMPROVEMENT despite the chronological advances. I put a lot of effort into overcoming past RSI issues and delaying the onset of age related loss of abilities by staying ACTIVE.

Last edited:
LOL, went to the doctor yesterday because I've been having foot pain. found out I have arthritis in the foot!!!

Who the heck gets arthritis in their foot??

Only me...

Not only you. I've had diagnosed arthritis in both feet since my late 40s (now almost 55). So much for that dream of hiking the PCT. Seriously though, making accommodations like giving up running for cycling make a huge difference. So while I'm probably never doing any more long backpacking trips, if I'm careful, day hikes and sometimes overnighters are still in reach.

I've worked hard to convince myself that's good enough. DW (who LOVES backpacking) isn't so sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't noticed anything. Then again, I don't notice things as well as I used to.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

A very timely thread. I feel older than Methuselah today! :D My brain tells me that my body SHOULD be able to do something easily, and then my body tells me, "No way, you're dreaming!" :facepalm:

My mind's making promises my body can't fill. - Little Feat

Back
Top Bottom