Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

yep scrapr, that was “fun” last year... won’t happen again (as i’ve got a snow blower now ) now if they’d done something about all the fires and smoke last year...

in one of my previous jobs, there was a guy drop at his desk— 42 years old. another gone a few months after retirement (65 for him). some profs at one of my schools were gone at 45 and 50... and I knew a coworker that lost his wife who was in her early 30’s.
my parents never made it past 62... one much earlier... sometimes you never know. that’s why we took advantage of opportunities to travel earlier, many of which were international, so we wouldn’t wait too long and have to ask what if’s

(alas, I had to wait until we could have HI throughout retirement... well after FI otherwise, and now aren’t even at 2.5% WR. )
FI_RElater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2018, 05:30 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

My father died when he was 54 and my wife’s father died when he was 51. That was plenty of incentive to want to stop working by 50. Made it with a few months to spare.

We still have kids in school (15 and 13) so can’t totally enjoy our time (but certainly enjoy being with the kids) so still have a very p/t job managing our rentals. But we certainly take advantage of our time off during their school vacations.
kevdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:20 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Early deaths and illnesses is why I got out early too.
Ice.
Mom's doctor told her not to leave the house if it's snow or ice. That pretty much means stay inside all January in CNY so I rented a place for the month in Myrtle Beach and took a trip with her down here. All the locals saying it's the coldest January they remember.
I had to walk the dog, slipped on the ice, wrenched my back and hit my head. No noticeable brain damage. Took ten days for the back ache to end.
No noticeable brain damage.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:32 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sucks.

My previous girlfriend lived in Tahoe. I got a new dog after Christmas. A young energetic dog that needed exercise. Lots of snow and ice. She said "here try these yak tracks"

I almost fell over before I removed them. They suck too.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:13 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post

These are excellent. In Seattle we get little snow, but people often do no bother to shovel the snow so our sidewalks are slick. Yaktrax make a real difference.

Ha
Old 01-27-2018, 06:09 AM   #66
gone traveling

When you start out looking for it, it's not hard to gain confirmation bias for the thoughts of retiring early. If you intended to retire at 35, you'd start noticing stories of people who died in their 40s and 50s.

Just remember, these are the exception, not the rule. Try harder to notice all the folks you see in their 80s and 90s.

I semi-retired a few years ago at 60. My wife is still working. She enjoys her work and plans to continue for at least a few more years, and that makes me happy.

I'm in the middle of cancer treatments and working toward a complete recovery. I'm not going to change any of our plans just because of that. We expect to live a long life. It's been happy so far and we have saved and planned for it to continue to be happy for a long time.

I believe the best thing is to find a way to be happy with your life as you live it. Find work that makes you happy. Find retirement that makes you happy. Find activities that make you happy. That way, no matter when it ends, you've lived a good life.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:42 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered a pair.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #68
Administrator

I have attended too many funerals recently, and it has really brought home to me how fleeting life is. My original plan was to retire in June 2019, but I'm starting to think about advancing that by a year and just going with the belt and suspenders approach instead of belt, suspenders, buttons and velcro.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:37 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

I have lost 3 friends between the ages of 59-67 so we are doing lots of traveling now while we can (63). I had a concussion 3 years ago power walking with our big dog. I had a headache for 2 weeks. Now I walk much slower. I also broke my finger 2 years ago tripped outside over an uneven sidewalk both times. Now I look down while I walk.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:29 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I have attended too many funerals recently, and it has really brought home to me how fleeting life is. My original plan was to retire in June 2019, but I'm starting to think about advancing that by a year and just going with the belt and suspenders approach instead of belt, suspenders, buttons and velcro.
but Gumby, you’re supposed to have bailing wire and duct tape as backup
FI_RElater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:57 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

My mom was just diagnosed with dementia. She's 75, and we've been seeing signs of cognitive decline (in her math skills) for a good 5 years. She retired at 65 and got a whopping 5 years before things started to go downhill. I'm pulling the plug ASAP - currently forecast about 2 years out, when I'm 45.
Maenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:19 AM   #72

I worked extra hard so that I could retire and get out of working. Life is short. I guess I worked hard because I was lazy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
These are excellent. In Seattle we get little snow, but people often do no bother to shovel the snow so our sidewalks are slick. Yaktrax make a real difference.

Ha
These are what I used plowing snow. Great traction. Well worth the extra cost. When I was out by myself shoveling snow on potentially icy driveways and sidewalks at 2 AM in sub-zero weather, my life was at risk. I trusted them.
https://www.rei.com/product/806475/y...raction-system
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:19 PM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

Long ago I worked as the EAP director of a large aerospace company. A very nice man, one week before his retirement, came to see me to ask for some help finding resources. His wife had just been diagnosed with aggressive ALS, and their plans for post retirement travel and fun had just stopped. He said to me, after I gave him all the info he had asked for, "don't wait to have fun, travel, and enjoy life. You have no guarantees".

His words really made an impact on me. 20 years ago, seems like yesterday.
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:20 PM   #74
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
My mom was just diagnosed with dementia. She's 75, and we've been seeing signs of cognitive decline (in her math skills) for a good 5 years. She retired at 65 and got a whopping 5 years before things started to go downhill. I'm pulling the plug ASAP - currently forecast about 2 years out, when I'm 45.
I am sorry to read this.
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote