Join Early Retirement Today

This is your brain ... on stroke
Old 04-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is your brain ... on stroke

A neuroanatomist describes her stroke experience:

http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/229
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I usually see strokes after the fact, hours or even days later. Patients just don't often come in right away.

A couple of months ago I cared for someone who was having a stroke in "real time" right beneath my nose. It was a scary and powerful experience even after all these decades. She almost clinged to me as someone who knew her before, during, and then after the event. I could see in her eyes that she was pleading for someone to grant her control over her body again. She got good care from a team of providers, and made a full recovery.

Most patients I approach about their wishes for resuscitation and "DNR" issues don't fear dying -- they fear incapacitation. I can relate to that.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Most patients I approach about their wishes for resuscitation and "DNR" issues don't fear dying -- they fear incapacitation. I can relate to that.
Indeed. That's why I find nursing homes so depressing. Terrifying is more accurate.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:11 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I've discussed stroke symptoms w/ my parents who are in their early 70s - telling them how important it is to seek care ASAP because there is a window of opportunity to use thrombolytics. I tell them that its a waste of valuable time to go to a hospital that doesn't have the capabilities for CT eval and neuro care. Many patients wait out the symptoms at home with the stroke is in progress, unfortunately. I've been out of the country for a few years, but I always thought that MIs got more press than CVAs as far as first reponsse goes.

Thanks for the link.
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
I've discussed stroke symptoms w/ my parents who are in their early 70s - telling them how important it is to seek care ASAP because there is a window of opportunity to use thrombolytics. I tell them that its a waste of valuable time to go to a hospital that doesn't have the capabilities for CT eval and neuro care. Many patients wait out the symptoms at home with the stroke is in progress, unfortunately. I've been out of the country for a few years, but I always thought that MIs got more press than CVAs as far as first reponsse goes.

Thanks for the link.
oma- have them call 911. The local EMS sytem will know which facilities are stroke or MI centers and take them to the appropriate hospital (quickly).

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:27 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the advice. Will do.
oma is offline   Reply With Quote