This is your brain ... on stroke

I usually see strokes after the fact, hours or even days later. Patients just don't often come in right away.

A couple of months ago I cared for someone who was having a stroke in "real time" right beneath my nose. It was a scary and powerful experience even after all these decades. She almost clinged to me as someone who knew her before, during, and then after the event. I could see in her eyes that she was pleading for someone to grant her control over her body again. She got good care from a team of providers, and made a full recovery.

Most patients I approach about their wishes for resuscitation and "DNR" issues don't fear dying -- they fear incapacitation. I can relate to that.

Most patients I approach about their wishes for resuscitation and "DNR" issues don't fear dying -- they fear incapacitation. I can relate to that.

Indeed. That's why I find nursing homes so depressing. Terrifying is more accurate.

I've discussed stroke symptoms w/ my parents who are in their early 70s - telling them how important it is to seek care ASAP because there is a window of opportunity to use thrombolytics. I tell them that its a waste of valuable time to go to a hospital that doesn't have the capabilities for CT eval and neuro care. Many patients wait out the symptoms at home with the stroke is in progress, unfortunately. I've been out of the country for a few years, but I always thought that MIs got more press than CVAs as far as first reponsse goes.

Thanks for the link.

I've discussed stroke symptoms w/ my parents who are in their early 70s - telling them how important it is to seek care ASAP because there is a window of opportunity to use thrombolytics. I tell them that its a waste of valuable time to go to a hospital that doesn't have the capabilities for CT eval and neuro care. Many patients wait out the symptoms at home with the stroke is in progress, unfortunately. I've been out of the country for a few years, but I always thought that MIs got more press than CVAs as far as first reponsse goes.

Thanks for the link.

oma- have them call 911. The local EMS sytem will know which facilities are stroke or MI centers and take them to the appropriate hospital (quickly).

DD

Back
Top Bottom