Join Early Retirement Today

Thumb Pain
Old 12-27-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Thumb Pain

There aren't too many tasks that you do with the hands that don't engage the thumb joint. I had an acute onset of pain at the base of my thumb (at the joint adjacent to the wrist below the "meaty" aspect of the hand). I am just about hoping it is tendonitis rather than arthritis in the joint. It is very painful with use and hurts like a mf'er with shooting pains into my forearm sometimes. Has anyone else dealt with this? After a couple of weeks of no relief with heavy aspirin dosing, I made an appointment with a hand surgeon which I will have on 1/11. I anticipate that he will start with a cortisone injection and if that doesn't work go a tendon sheath release. Any suggestions as to what to expect on tendonitis vs. arthritis and prognosis?
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Any numbness? You could have a problem with the median nerve causing carpal tunnel syndrome.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Do this: make a gentle fist with the affected hand. Now tuck your thumb gentily inside your fist, under the index finger. Gradually move your fist and thumb to the side, kind of stretching the base of the thumb as you do so. If that markedly reproduces the pain in question, I'd lean toward tendonitis.

Many patients with this do well with a wrist splint of the type that stabilizes the base of the thumb, too. Steroid shots seem to bring relief, if immobilzing it doesn't work. Doesn't sound like arthritis.

If it's in the wrist itself, ask the doctor if he or she thinks it might be gout -- that disease can affect more joints than just the toe.

Good luck with it -- hope the cure if fast and easy. See my signature line for the usual disclaimers.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Do this: make a gentle fist with the affected hand. Now tuck your thumb gentily inside your fist, under the index finger. Gradually move your fist and thumb to the side, kind of stretching the base of the thumb as you do so.
Am I the only one who "did this" even though my thumb is just fine?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Nope, both my thumbs checked out fine too.

I just couldn't make it work with my toes...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Great, so now we have everyone on on the board doing it except the OP.

You'll probably all get tendonitis from repetitive stress injury, and we'll have to start a Tendonitis Forum.

But now that I know how compliant you all are, try this... oh, never mind.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Great, so now we have everyone on on the board doing it except the OP.

You'll probably all get tendonitis from repetitive stress injury, and we'll have to start a Tendonitis Forum.

haha - I just googled tendonitis forum and ER is 4th on the page - this thread actually.

The first hit is a guitar players forum I have posted to about my own battle with a ganglion cyst - a guitar players nightmare!
Old 12-27-2007, 08:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
haha - I just googled tendonitis forum and ER is 4th on the page - this thread actually.

The first hit is a guitar players forum I have posted to about my own battle with a ganglion cyst - a guitar players nightmare!
Well, just another war story: in the "old days" a common treatment for ganglion cysts was to immediately consult a 5 lb Harrisons Textbook of Internal Medicine. You would then raise the book with your good hand and smash the cyst with the book.

Now before half the forum starts smashing themselves with dictionaries, it didn't always work.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:45 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I did "it" (the movement suggested by Rich-thank you and no disclaimer necessary here) and the traction produced pain. I don't have any numbness or tingling such as I would have assumed with carpal tunnel. Had gout once for a couple of days in the big toe and that was hot and swollen. This is not markedly swollen. I do a lot of weightlifting and try to "work around it" but that's not easy. Just getting dressed and using kitchen utensils keepps aggrevating it. If the ortho agrees with the tendontits diagnosis, I expect I'll be getting the splint. BTW, my heavy cast iron skillet (see recent posts in "Other Topics") is problematic for its weight.
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:47 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
...... it didn't always work.
Humph - thanks for the tip. Just what I need - broken (and lumpy) fingers.

...you get paid for this
Old 12-27-2007, 09:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf View Post
I did "it" (the movement suggested by Rich-thank you and no disclaimer necessary here) and the traction produced pain. I don't have any numbness or tingling such as I would have assumed with carpal tunnel. Had gout once for a couple of days in the big toe and that was hot and swollen. This is not markedly swollen. I do a lot of weightlifting and try to "work around it" but that's not easy. Just getting dressed and using kitchen utensils keepps aggrevating it. If the ortho agrees with the tendontits diagnosis, I expect I'll be getting the splint. BTW, my heavy cast iron skillet (see recent posts in "Other Topics") is problematic for its weight.

I had de Quervain's (thumb tendonitis), and it can be really disabling and very painful. I wore the thumb spica splint religiously, eventually had an injection, and finally was able to fully resolve it with some ultrasound treatments. I had a pretty severe case. Hopefully you will be able to get it better with just the splint, especially if you are catching it early, and you haven't done a lot of repeated damage to the tendon. Baby it and try not to use it! (easier said than done, I know)

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:37 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Humph - thanks for the tip. Just what I need - broken (and lumpy) fingers.

...you get paid for this

Not enough to FIRE just yet. Just think how helpful I'll be then .

Old 12-27-2007, 10:16 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

My thumb hurts every once in a while, but I usually know the cause.

UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:54 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
My thumb hurts every once in a while, but I usually know the cause.

Rich, you're fired.........we're all going to try Uncle Honey's method.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:44 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, just another war story: in the "old days" a common treatment for ganglion cysts was to immediately consult a 5 lb Harrisons Textbook of Internal Medicine. You would then raise the book with your good hand and smash the cyst with the book.
"Here, Bubba, hold my beer in your left hand while I treat the ganglion cyst in your right hand. Nah, if'n I wuz you I'd hold it in your other left hand. Thanks, here goes!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote