Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Tics
Old 01-27-2007, 03:00 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
And did you know that there was a full length Barney movie?
Nah, we're blazing new trails on the Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, & MTV... enjoy it while it lasts!

Pretty entertaining discussing "Pimp My Ride", "Cribs", and "TRL" with a 14-year-old. At least she had the mutual embarrassment courtesy to ask spouse instead of me "What does that girl mean when she says her personality is as real as her thirty-eight double-dees?" and "Where do you find that on Craigslist?!?"...

I get the questions about what makes a guy a chick magnet.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
You're the guy who used to tease me at camp!...This is why parents freak out. Kids are cruel. It's the hit on self-esteem that we worry about....So, now when she sniffs, she tells us there's an elephant in her nose and it won't come out.
the elephant thing is toooo cute.

we didn't tease, we tormented. and i never tormented. though i've said lots of stupid things in life, ya tend to grow up a bit more sensitive to others when your own friends are calling everyone fag this and fag that but no one knows your gay. and while i wasn't just butch, but probably, to many, physically intimitating, no one was gonna call me fag even if they ever figured it out, which they didn't. blinking would be a bit more difficult to hide.

blinky was actually one of our friends. i recall he was a real nice guy and had the absolute respect of our all too cool clique. i actually remember his smile more than his blinking. in hindsight of course it was pretty stupid of us to call him blinky especially as now i can't even think of his real name.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 03:05 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder if having tics is similar to stuttering. The man who is repairing my chimney has a very noticeable stutter; he's in his mid 40's. A former coworker told me he used to stutter when he was younger but outgrew it. I wonder if either tics or stuttering can be overcome through a conscious effort by the person or through outside counseling/training. Interesting topic. Will google it and learn more.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:11 PM   #24

a guy i used to work with in construction had a stutter when he talked. but he used to like to sing when he worked and he never stuttered when singing.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 03:49 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Occasionally I get a tic in my right eyelid. It can last for 30 minutes and sometimes more than a day.

Funny to hear how many people can't sit still. My mom would get quite irrated with me shaking the dinner table due to my twitching legs. Lucky for me that it doesn't irritate DH. He only mentions it on occasion. I don't even realize I'm doing it. I'm not sure if it is connected, but I use to rock in bed as a child and prefer rocking chairs.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:44 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

[quote=Dog ]
Occasionally I get a tic in my right eyelid. It can last for 30 minutes and sometimes more than a day.
End of quote :

Sometimes when I was traveling/working long weeks I would get a twitch in my left eyelid. I think it was due to lack of sleep and stress - it always went away after a weekend at home. I have not had one since jumping.

It was like a small muscle in the eyelid started contracting for a few second from time to time- very irritating - at its worst it would slightly blur my left eye during twitches....imagine if that were permanent?
Old 01-28-2007, 05:11 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Sometimes when I was traveling/working long weeks I would get a twitch in my left eyelid. I think it was due to lack of sleep and stress - it always went away after a weekend at home. I have not had one since jumping.

It was like a small muscle in the eyelid started contracting for a few second from time to time- very irritating
I had that also; it tapered off after retirement.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:57 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linney
Interesting. VERY interesting. I will be seeing my parents this weekend and I'll ask them about the timeline of the appearance of the tics and of my tonsillectomy, both of which happened around age 7. My tonsils were removed due to repeated, unrelenting throat infections . . . .
So we had the family gathering today and I asked my mom about all this. She can't remember the specific timelines either (we're talking about 40-some years ago here) but she confirms that the tics appeared when I was in the 3rd grade -- the same school year that I had the tonsillectomy for unrelenting throat infections.

So maybe that's it. Maybe not. My mom also commented that my 3rd grade teacher and I didn't get along with each other so it was a very stressful year for me. She thought the tics were due to this stress (not that off target, really).

Wab -- w.r.t. the frequency versus age curve, it is hard to say. I had a severe spike at age 8 (the year the tics started) due to my parents' strong focus on trying to get rid of them. The frequency went down from there. The tics were substantially reduced by the time I started college, and get more infrequent with each passing year.

It is interesting that my responding on this topic has coincided with a reappearance of a tic this weekend. As I said, it is best to ignore them and they go away. So this will be my last post on this topic
Old 01-29-2007, 03:22 AM   #29

Linney, from my reading it looks like the strep connection (called PANDAS) is pretty controversial. A lot of kids get strep. A lot of kids get tics. But one doesn't necessarily follow from the other.

I've also tossed out my tuna sandwich theory. More kids would be ticcing if tuna had enough mercury to trigger tics.

And, for those of you with twitching eyelids -- not a tic. Tics are larger muscle (or multi-muscle) movements, not small muscle fiber twitches. Docs also distinguish tics from habits and mannerisms, which can be changed with training.

Our kid's tics are getting less frequent. I'm almost ready to write them off as an interesting developmental milestone, but we'll continue to watch (and obsessively read, of course).
Old 02-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #30

Just an update in case anybody is interested.

Our kid has been tic-free for about a week now. Our latest theory is that is was stress-induced. So, what was the stressor?

You may recall that our almost-4-year-old was struggling to come to terms with her own mortality:

link

I think she was pretty obsessed by this for about two weeks. I tried to resist giving her a sugar-coated death myth. I didn't want her to think people just "go to sleep," because that could make her afraid of sleeping. I didn't want to give her a story with clouds and wings and 72 smurfs, because that could screw her up for life.

I wanted to tell her to embrace life and impermanence, and that sometimes things are sad. Eventually, I gave up on the cold-hard reality bit. She obviously needed some sugar coating (which is one of the reasons religions were invented, I guess). So, I gave her a life cycle spiel with a quasi-reincarnation spin.

Now she's excited about coming back as a flower. She wants us all to be flowers. And the tics are gone.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Her wish is already coming true.

You're a daffydil...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote