Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD

In my early 30's I could eat anything, not exercise, and remain flesh-and-bone skinny.

If you follow conventional recommendations dispensed by medical professionals (exercise 30 minutes a day and keep your calorie intake in the 2000-2500 cal/day range), I think that the weight loss benefits of exercise are going to be minimal.

I do 30 minutes of exercise per day and the 100-150 calories I burn are only a small fraction of the 2000-2500 cal/day provided by my diet. In other words, the calories burned by exercising can be negated by simply drinking an extra glass of low fat milk (110 cal).
For 85% of the people I see "working out" at the fitness center I wonder why they even bother. I wouldn't be surprised it they reward themselves with a candy bar of 300 calories, for the 50 calories they burned leisurely reading, I mean "exercising" on the treadmill or elliptical.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Some people really enjoy hamburgers, pizza, chocolate ect, but they dont want to get fat so they exercise in order to be able to indulge in fattening foods they enjoy without blowing up like a balloon. In other words, they know they cant resist certain foods so they might as well exercise as well as eat badly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Definitely, I know someone who does exactly that. She works out almost 2 hours/day and then eats whatever she wants (never made sense to me), and she is in terrific shape. But that's the exception, not the sensible norm, as the article subtitle suggests.
Chocolate Present!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #23

Interesting article. I guess the Time article control groups have weight loss problems that control groups in pro-exercise articles do not have. But I don't really care about the results of "control groups". I care about what works for me. I've lost weight on several exercise binges only to gain it back when I stopped exercising a few months later. My diet has remained constistent for the last 40 years, so I'll just stick to my current diet and exercise 45 minutes of cardio daily.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Even during weight loss mode there is room for chocolate and ice cream!

I've FINALLY quit 'dieting', even though I've lost 35 pounds since May. The most important change I've made is to eat one square of Dove dark chocolate ever day after lunch and have 75 grams of ice cream every night after dinner.

I have a sweet tooth and those two small indulgences of chocolate and ice cream may be what finally enables me to beat the yo-yo dieting.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

My local area has the "run to eat club". It's a common approach.

I think most people think the program they have chosen is the smartest one. I know mine is

I do think strength training is an under-used tool. Carrying 5-10lbs of extra muscle sure does add a lot of wiggle room to the diet.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
In my early 30's I could eat anything, not exercise, and remain flesh-and-bone skinny.
The reason I started running in the first place was because, in my late 20s, my metabolism changed and I started putting on weight.....it was either diet or run so I opted for the latter.

I recall, at age 17, being on an ocean liner going from England to Australia......I was skinny, skinny and used to eat my way right through the menu at every meal......at one point, (I was sitting at a table with about a dozen other passengers, none of whom I knew), our Scottish steward said at the top of his voice "Och, I'd sooner carry you oot to the kitchen than carry your food oot here!"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #27

I agree that exercise alone is not enough. I have tracked my exercise and weight since 1984. My exercise for each year has almost no correlation to my weight changes. Here is an example from a particularly active phase of my life :

1992 : 12751 miles biking, 250 miles walking, 107 hours lifecycle = -32 pounds
1993 : 13814 miles biking, 503 miles walking, 171 hours lifecycle = +9 pounds
1994 : 14669 miles biking, 145 miles walking, 277 hours lifecycle = +3 pounds
1995 : 11775 miles biking, 132 miles walking, 123 hours lifecycle = +3 pounds
1996 : 14148 miles biking, 183 miles walking, 45 hours lifecycle = +13 pounds

My problem, of course, is my mouth. I have "95% willpower". This is great for exercising (I almost always feel like riding or walking), but not so good for dieting (a lot of damage can be done in those 1.2 hours per day).
Old 09-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Recent information suggests that resting muscle burns 5 to 6 calories per pound per day, while fat burns about 2 calories per pound per day. So, if you lose 30 pounds of fat and gain 10 pounds of muscle by working out, you end up at -60 calories per day for fat loss and at +60 calories per day for muscle gain. No extra twinkies for you!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So you believe metabolism can't be altered at all?
I believe you when you say you lost weight and that you exercised. Projecting your experience, a single data point, to 6 billion people is problematic.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
I agree that exercise alone is not enough. I have tracked my exercise and weight since 1984. My exercise for each year has almost no correlation to my weight changes. Here is an example from a particularly active phase of my life :

1992 : 12751 miles biking, 250 miles walking, 107 hours lifecycle = -32 pounds
1993 : 13814 miles biking, 503 miles walking, 171 hours lifecycle = +9 pounds
1994 : 14669 miles biking, 145 miles walking, 277 hours lifecycle = +3 pounds
1995 : 11775 miles biking, 132 miles walking, 123 hours lifecycle = +3 pounds
1996 : 14148 miles biking, 183 miles walking, 45 hours lifecycle = +13 pounds

My problem, of course, is my mouth. I have "95% willpower". This is great for exercising (I almost always feel like riding or walking), but not so good for dieting (a lot of damage can be done in those 1.2 hours per day).
WOW! Most of these years you biked more than the average motorist drives.

Very impressive.

Ha
Old 09-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I believe you when you say you lost weight and that you exercised. Projecting your experience, a single data point, to 6 billion people is problematic.
And the millions of people who exercise are all misguided...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

60 million Frenchmen can't be wrong, right?

Ha
Old 09-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

In extreme broad generalities, I cannot believe that exercise cannot contribute to weight loss. Waterboard me all you want and I will refuse to change from my belief! However, for people who are trying to lose weight, restricting calories obviously brings more weight loss at a quicker rate than exercising to burn calories. However, for people who restrict calories without exercise on a diet and return to normal eating habits run the risk of weighing more than their original weight. For some curious reason, I am less hungry when I am consistent with my workouts than when I am not. Of course even on our forum, the term "exercising" and its benefits from it, I am sure are wide and varied.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Makes sense. One exercises to stay fit, maintain/add muscle mass, etc., though my reading suggests there are positive changes, relating to insulin regulation and other hormonal "stuff" that are the results of "exercise".
Yep. Do both. However from a mind over matter point of view many people seem to find exercise and 'sensible eating' NOT specifically dieting easier.

Me I'm a turd on both counts - don't like exercise or dieting and struggle to do both. However down 25 lbs, lower chloresterol, and BP.

heh heh heh - going to New Orleans for a week - so I will avoid any further discussion of this thread for a while.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, I think it is a good idea to exercise. But, I don't think it is the primary path to weight loss.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
For some curious reason, I am less hungry when I am consistent with my workouts than when I am not. Of course even on our forum, the term "exercising" and its benefits from it, I am sure are wide and varied.
I have noticed that my appetite it suppressed for maybe 2 hours after exercise other than swimming. Then I am hungry big time. However for whatever reason my satiety thing cuts in pretty quickly and I never eat a whole lot. Sometimes I am just too beat to eat much.

The wiriest young guys I ever knew were loggers. They were jsut too tired to eat by the time they got home. They ate, for sure, but often fell asleep before they were done.

I think there is no doubt that weight can be lost from exercise, it just rarely is in free living populations. Look at basic training, people may not lose pounds in all cases, but they sure will lose fat and gain muscle, and if they were fat going in they will not be fat going out. But someone other than their desire to get thin is limiting input to a proper amount.

Ha
Old 09-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #37

Quote:
Exercise is great. There are very significant benefits to exercise. I exercise an hour every morning, and I'm a lot healthier than when I exercised only a half hour a day, a few years ago. But I also diet. If you can stay healthy by exercise alone, paying no attention to diet, more power to you, but I think that's atypical.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Many people would say I'm thin but since I've retired I've stepped up my exercise. I look for variations on the theme. I think the reason so many older people seem to totter along is that they don't move enough. I've added kick boxing and a Taekwondo class besides the gym rat activities like weight lifting and treadmill etc. Plus a walk around our local lake and pick up trash that the flatlanders leave up here. Taekwondo class is a hoot since I'm in a class with some very some kids and some teenagers. There I am at 59 trying to do my kicks and wrestling on the floor, too funny!
Old 09-19-2011, 08:25 PM   #39

If your caloric intake exceeds the calories you burn each day, you are going to put on weight. While the calories you get from macronutrients are very important, how your body is able to metabolize what you consume is also important as well as whether you are insulin sensitive or resistant.
See this article that talks more about the insulin factor and how that can play a role in muscle growth and staying lean vs getting fat or not really making much progress in the gym:

T NATION | Harness the Power of Insulin
Old 10-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #40
Confused about dryer sheets

As a personal trainer I can tell you if you exercise you will lose weight. The main reason you feel hungry after your cardio workouts is that you're probably thirsty. If you drink either water, chocolate milk (low fat) or a sports drink it should help. Also, working out with weights helps as the more muscle you have on your body the more calories you burn. As I tell my clients the only thing in a diet book should be "eat less calories then you burn". This will hold true if you eat 2000 calories a day or 4000 calories a day. At 53 I am in the best shape of my life and I cycle over 150 miles a week, so yes cardio will help you lose weight.