Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I have had hearing aids since 1995. I get new ones about every 5 years partly because of technology but they do loose there effectiveness a bit. I go to a local audiologist where I have had great luck. A few years back I did try costco and they let me try a pair that did not work well for me so I passed.

I would go to both a private and costco and hear the sales pitches and demo and decide for yourself. There should be no charge for this. I did through the years once go to another audiologist that I did not like....to me it about hearing better over price to an extent.

My batteries last about a week.

The other thing about hearing aids they take a bit of getting use to. They amplify all sounds and can make you a bit jumpy when you here clanging plates. You have to start low and turn them up after a few days. I have the completely in the ear types and they work good for me.

ducky911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2016, 12:01 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Agreed. Don't they make any with rechargeable batteries? If not, why not?

An inductive coupling for charging would be nice (like the electric toothbrush), just set them down on a 'charger plate' overnight. No fiddling.

-ERD50
Costco sells hearing aids that use rechargeable batteries along with a charger. It's the Rexton brand.
The same hearing aids can also use regular zinc-air batteries.

If you need hearing aids, man up and get it done. People are not mumbling. Studies have shown that people with hearing loss tend to withdraw socially, which can make them more susceptible to depression and dementia. Hearing loss is a family problem.

Lastly, hearing aids are considered medical devices; all the FDA crap that goes along with that boosts the price. And they are not allowed to be sold OTC. (The FDA is looking into PSAPs for that). Companies need a little profit to put back in to research, too. Competition is fierce in the hearing aid industry.

FDA on PSAPs: http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/De...ce=govdelivery

Costco has the best inexpensive hearing aids, without a doubt. However, as with audiologists and licensed dispensers, the expertise of their dispensers can vary widely.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:01 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A few years ago I had my hearing tested @ the VA and they eventually gave me HAs for each ear, a lifetime supply of batteries and humidifier to store them in overnight.

I only use them occasionally but they help me hear a bit better than w/o them.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:16 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Mine took no getting used to at all. The doctor programmed them to my Rx and they only amplify those frequencies. Everything else sounds the same as before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky911 View Post

The other thing about hearing aids they take a bit of getting use to. They amplify all sounds and can make you a bit jumpy when you here clanging plates. You have to start low and turn them up after a few days. I have the completely in the ear types and they work good for me.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:54 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I've had my hearing tested and it tests OK, yet I have a problem deciphering conversations in noisy restaurants, makes me prefer eating at home.

I think I am heading down that path. I swear I can hear conversations from 3 tables away at times better than what is going on at my table. I cant block out the background noise like I used too, so I hate going to noisy restaurants anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2016, 05:33 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I may have to find a Costco somewhere. Down here they have Sam's Club's.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:51 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought my first pair of HAs about seven years ago with my employer's insurance plan, my cost was around $1100 and now was due a new set. I had been told a set usually lasts 3-5 years. There is no mention of hearing aids in my retirement health care plan and I had decided go check out Costco. Just for giggles, I called my insurance company and yes, I did have coverage for a new pair. Cost me about $900 for a $4K set. My first pair was in the ear, this pair is behind the ear. Don't think I'd get behind the ear again. I wear glasses and it's just too much 'stuff' behind the ear, then if I have a day that I want to wear a headband, add that to the mess.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:49 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OP here, with an update. I just visited Costco and made appointment for mid-July (first available as I have upcoming vacation). Had to join Costco, but paying $58 to save a couple of thousand is a no-brainer -- especially since they guarantee satisfaction or refund the membership fee. So, if perchance I'm not happy with the exam/hearing aids, I can walk away with no net money loss.
Now that I'm committed to getting hearing aids, I'm actually excited about it. Only downside is I will no longer have a valid excuse why I can't hear DW chastising me for my latest mistake, whatever it might be.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
OP here, with an update. I just visited Costco and made appointment for mid-July (first available as I have upcoming vacation). Had to join Costco, but paying $58 to save a couple of thousand is a no-brainer -- especially since they guarantee satisfaction or refund the membership fee.

DH got the Costco membership for hearing aids; we've since started using Costco for meat, cleaning items, paper goods, electronics, even a new mattress. Our grocery spending is down even though we haven't changed what we eat. It helps to have a lot of storage space but I wish we'd joined sooner. I'd thought it didn't make sense for a 2-person household but it did.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:19 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Morning. I did about a 6 month search for replacement hearing aids. Started at Costco. Can't say enough good things about them - good hearing check, free trial, no problem returning. Overall, after much trial with various hearing aids and sellers I just went outside of Costco. The brand I got was a Widex 330 that Costco didn't carry.

Hearing Aid Forum.com is a great site for feedback.

I found TruHearing was able to provide the Widex at a great price. Suggest check out - they have free trials and great prices which, for me, were as affordable as Costco.

But you can't go wrong starting at Costco.

Kannon
Old 06-23-2016, 05:30 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Funny, I don't have those issues, and I have a lot of hair and often wear glasses - as well as those big sunglasses that fit over your glasses. The behind-the-ear part is smaller than the first joint of my pinky finger. My great fear is losing the aids due to high activity levels, such as when I work outside or am turning myself inside out at the gym. I often find myself reaching to touch the aids to be sure they are still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calico1597 View Post
I Don't think I'd get behind the ear again. I wear glasses and it's just too much 'stuff' behind the ear, then if I have a day that I want to wear a headband, add that to the mess.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:55 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I was born with a hearing problem. When I first got a hearing aid it was one that fit in the ear. I was in my 30's. But as my hearing got worse I had to go to the BTE type. I am restricted now to that type. There is a Costco about an hour away.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:24 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I see hearing aids on Amazon.com as low as $30. Most have just ⭐️⭐️⭐️ Or so, but you can get 4+ stars products for under $100 (digital, multiple programs, variety of tubes and cones). Seems to be a low cost way to experiment and see if you can get by using a cheaper product.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #34

So because of this discussion I checked out the site:
Hearing Aid Styles and Pricing

I notice, the price can be nearly double depending upon your State, ouch....
I think I'd be willing to drive to another state, for the actual purchase as I hate paying double due to some State legislated rule.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:03 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, for the most part, hearing aids are regulated by state. You can thank the old-school (and largely impenetrable) good-ol'-boy hearing aid dispenser alliances in your state for that.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I got mine from an Audiologist. With insurance paying $2500, I paid the same for my Phonaks as the Costco price ($2800) would have been for their brand. My price includes follow-up trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
So because of this discussion I checked out the site:
Hearing Aid Styles and Pricing

I notice, the price can be nearly double depending upon your State, ouch....
I think I'd be willing to drive to another state, for the actual purchase as I hate paying double due to some State legislated rule.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
I see hearing aids on Amazon.com as low as $30. Most have just ⭐️⭐️⭐️ Or so, but you can get 4+ stars products for under $100 (digital, multiple programs, variety of tubes and cones). Seems to be a low cost way to experiment and see if you can get by using a cheaper product.
Sort of like dime store reading glasses? Has anyone tried the cheap generics?
Old 07-16-2016, 03:43 PM   #38

Booked an appointment at Costco for a hearing test on the 27th for myself and DW. They sure are busy as that was the earliest appointment I could get.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:42 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Booked an appointment at Costco for a hearing test on the 27th for myself and DW. They sure are busy as that was the earliest appointment I could get.
I just read an article in the NYT about personal sound amplification products, you might find it informative. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/19/he...ives.html?_r=0

Browsing the Etymotic website the other day - they make high end ear plugs - I saw a "home hearing test for consumers" and thought of this thread. Etymotic Research | Home Hearing Test - Home Hearing Test - Consumer
Old 07-16-2016, 05:12 PM   #40

Never let an intelligent conversation go without a slightly offtopic comment... Probably wrote this before, but anyway...

One of DW's friends bragged that she had gone to the audiologist for a "free" hearing test, and received as a bonus, a Christmas turkey. DW's like me, ultra frugal when she hears "free".

Off to the Hearing Center for the 3/4 hour test, a better sales pitch than the local car dealer. Damned If I have EVER heard so much pressure. Even forced me to take the test too, at which point I found out that my ear hairs were irretrievably destroyed, and I would be totally deaf in less than a year.

Salesman had a phone call, and DW took the break to whisper to me, "we're outta here"... Half way to the door, two other workers rushed to block the door., and our salesman attacked again with the most rabid last minute try that I've ever heard. This made my bride mad, and she gave him the evil eye, and he surrendered. We were thru the inner doors, and on our way... free... until...
DW goes back and says to our defeated salesman... "HEY!!!"... "Where's our free turkey."

I was so proud.

BTW... I bought the "pockettalker" mentioned by 6miths (in an above post) for $1 in our local resale store. Agree with the recommendation... good for situations where appearance does't matter. Very clear.