Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-16-2016, 05:40 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I just read an article in the NYT about personal sound amplification products, you might find it informative. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/19/he...ives.html?_r=0

Browsing the Etymotic website the other day - they make high end ear plugs - I saw a "home hearing test for consumers" and thought of this thread. Etymotic Research | Home Hearing Test - Home Hearing Test - Consumer
Thanks for that. Very interesting, and might be worth trying, but want to see the Costco results first.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #42

DW and I both had our Costco hearing tests this morning and both of us tested with very good results at all frequencies, technician said to come back next year.

Perhaps I just have to live with difficulties hearing conversations in noisy environments like restaurants.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:12 PM   #43

OP back with an update. It is now Day 2 with my new Costco hearing aids. So far so good. Comfort is not a problem; for the most part I don't even feel them in my ears.
I've been able to watch TV without closed captioning, and definitely hearing everything better. Right now, they're at 70%; audiologist says we will increase it in 10% increments every 2 weeks,
Only 2 days, but so far I'm a happy camper.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:06 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Good job, mystang52. I'm sure your family thanks you!
Old 07-28-2016, 02:12 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For any of you who are veterans and you think that you may be in need for a HA, why not consider getting tested by the VA? If approved, you may qualify for testing, HAs, batteries for life, semi-annual humidifier, follow-up visits for life and maintenance of the HAs.

It's a benefit that the American people are willing to pay for 100% if service connected as thanks for your service.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:50 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Well, you've just proven my notions correct - discomfort with restaurant noise levels is not a hearing-loss problem, or not entirely. Even with my new aids, I still have difficulty holding conversations in noisy spaces.

I read the Washington Post restaurant reviews regularly. The reviewer has said, more than once, that "Noise" is diners' No. 1 complaint. He says "diners," not "older diners," or "diners with hearing loss." The fact is that restaurants used to have more noise-absorbing features, such as thick carpets, tablecloths, even fabric wallpaper; and they often featured booths and banquettes with high sides. Modern restaurants have stripped away those features in order to save money, and make the place look more open and modern. Hence, noise.

Oh, and some people really do mumble, or talk too fast. I had assumed all along that it was me, but it's not. My hearing test included a "word discernment" portion, where I scored 100%. Notwithstanding, and even with aids, I sometimes have to ask young people to repeat what they just mumbledreallyfast. I think there may be a real generational difference in speech patterns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
DW and I both had our Costco hearing tests this morning and both of us tested with very good results at all frequencies, technician said to come back next year.

Perhaps I just have to live with difficulties hearing conversations in noisy environments like restaurants.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:58 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Well, you've just proven my notions correct - discomfort with restaurant noise levels is not a hearing-loss problem, or not entirely. Even with my new aids, I still have difficulty holding conversations in noisy spaces.

I read the Washington Post restaurant reviews regularly. The reviewer has said, more than once, that "Noise" is diners' No. 1 complaint. He says "diners," not "older diners," or "diners with hearing loss." The fact is that restaurants used to have more noise-absorbing features, such as thick carpets, tablecloths, even fabric wallpaper; and they often featured booths and banquettes with high sides. Modern restaurants have stripped away those features in order to save money, and make the place look more open and modern. Hence, noise.

I agree. I do not need hearing aides at all, (not even close yet as I can hear a golf ball hit a green from 150 yards out) but background noises in restaurants detract seriously from my table conversation. Sometimes I can hear other tables conversations better than the one I am at. I got a theory that young people have either better concentration skills or young ears that can filter needless noise better. As I certainly dont remember EVER having background noise problem when I was younger no matter how noisy the restaurant was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #48

That makes me feel better that its not just me, and yes, it does seem there are a lot of mumblers out there.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #49
Administrator

We eat lunch out every day at cheap not-so-fancy restaurants during off hours, so there are seldom more than 1-3 other occupied tables. We never have any trouble hearing one another over the other customers.

On the other hand, I can relate to not being able to hear in a busy restaurant. I dislike that so much!

I remember when my brothers and I were kids, adults always used to tell us to speak up and we would joke about it behind their backs. "Eh, sonny? SPEAK UP!"

In addition, when my brothers and I were children, my mother insisted/demanded that we always enunciate which of course entailed speaking absolutely clearly and properly. I still do make an effort to enunciate (which I would imagine might give people the impression that I am stuck up). But kids these days? I don't know but do wonder if they even understand what the word "enunciate" means. Or maybe I underestimate them.

― B. Lee

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:05 PM   #50
Administrator

I still don't need hearing aids but in recent years my hearing has gone from unusually good, to just a little better than normal. So if the decline continues, then I expect that I may need hearing aids in about 10 years. At that time I plan to go to Costco to get them. It will not be nearly the blow to my vanity, that aging itself has been. So that aspect is not worrisome to me.

― B. Lee

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote