Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

After reading this thread I'm acutely aware of the ringing in my ears.:face palm:
That says something about how our brains work I guess, it tries to filter the ringing out for us. Mine was from shotguns growing up and 5"-38's and 5"-54's in the navy as director officer. No one ever mentioned that perhaps we should protect the ears. But if this is the worse thing I have to contend with, I'll be as happy as a clam. Sadly, that's not the case.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Typed out a post earlier today saying that the xanax protocol seemed to be working. After days, it just stopped cold. And not because of the tranquilizing impact (had some valium in the house, which doesn't do a thing except lower the pitch and make me a tad less stressed about the noise). Of course, there's always the old placebo effect, but hey ...

The minute I started to type the tinnitus returned. Deleted the post.

It went away again, had a parental discussion fight with my teen (still no tinnitus), just signed on - and the minute I got to this thread ... you guessed it. Back, although it's now time for the next xanax dose.

The time I got rid of it for ten years by pretty much training my brain to not hear it took months. Didn't get too worried by the flare-ups that started happening a few years back. And it always went away again ...

What's different about this time is that it's a little more intense and accompanied by other symptoms (ear pain, pressure). Plus, the distraction of being at work really helped that first time around. So I'm fussing more. Plus we're leaving for Europe in a few weeks.

Even though I don't have tinnitus in my right ear, at night I can force (not sure this is smart) the sound to be recreated in that ear. That shuts down the damaged ear just like turning down a volume control. It just fades to nothing. And, of course, the exact same sound in my undamaged right ear doesn't bother me at all since I know I can control it. Weird ...

Old 05-17-2012, 02:07 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No, sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
just wondering if anybody has seen any promising news.

Anyone? Any hope?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

In case you haven't seen this article about a new tinnitus treatment yet:

New effective treatment for tinnitus?

Good luck with your search for treatment. I have mild ringing in both ears that I can mostly ignore, until reminders like this thread get me to focus on it!
Old 05-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by figner
In case you haven't seen this article about a new tinnitus treatment yet:

New effective treatment for tinnitus?

Good luck with your search for treatment. I have mild ringing in both ears that I can mostly ignore, until reminders like this thread get me to focus on it!
Sounds like a "get used to it" therapy. But the article says the results are good. I guess the behavioral therapy helps people who are bothered by it to become more like those of us who don't notice it most of the time (until we see this thread at which point it takes over our awareness).
Old 05-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

According to a 1999 article in American Journal of Clinical Nutrition,

"Deafness is associated with B12 deficiency; supplements have been useful in treating tinnitus and noise-related hearing loss.55"
Old 05-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I've had tinnitus pretty much on and off as long as I can remember. For me, I've noticed there seems to be a correlation with that and ear wax buildup.

By coincidence, before logging on, I had just done my every two week or so ear wax cleaning with peroxide. I had noticed tinnitus before the cleaning and at this moment, none, nada.

As for masking, one can always white noise, such as having a fan running nearby, etc.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #28

I have it in both ears, have had it for years, don't really know when it started, just crept up on me I guess.

High-pitched tone, never changes in frequency, but it can change in amplitude. The tone in each ear is not synchronized with the other, so they are always individually dancing up and down some in amplitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
....... From what I have read increasing circulation to the inner ear can help to lessen symtoms .......
That is interesting, because of an effect that I have noticed. If I take more than a few sudafed (generic equivalent of the real stuff) for sinus pressure over a day or two, the ringing goes UP in volume, and stays up there for days before slowly going down to the original volume level.

Pseudoephedrine reduces blood flow in soft tissues. If I have to take them for a few days, I often get "the chains". Besides the ringing, occasionally will hear the clinking of chains, like link by link by link. Will go on for a minute or two, then quit, then restart again later. Happens many times per day, then trails off slowly over week(s), to the point I forget all about the chain sounds. Until I use sudafed again in a high enough amount. And that amount isn't very high, as I stay below the max per day amount listed in the fine print.

One morning a couple of months ago, I suddenly noticed something strange... quiet! Total silence except for very low-level internal head sounds which I had as a kid, assume we all do. The ring-free period lasted a few days at most, then back to ringing business as usual.
Tinnitus issue
Old 06-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Tinnitus issue

I also have this due to overexposure to the usual 30 years worth of military hardware. Drives me nuts to sit in a quite place, especially going to bed a nite. I recently saw a audiologist for a hearing check and discussed possible cures for the condition. She basically said there are no known cures right now. She did say that there were reports of a patients that had some auditory nerve clipped in the brain but it essentilly makes you deaf. Extreme cases I guess. Anyway, she said that most patients having this procedure still reported that they had the sensation of tinnitus.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #30

I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but accupuncture fixed it for me, big time!

On a bad bout, I'd completely loose hearing in my right ear...sometimes for months. Within 36 hours of my first accupuncture treatment it was gone.

If nothing else is working, why not try it with a reputable accupuncturist.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #31

In the latest Reader's Digest (July/August 2012, page 34) there is a brief mention of a device that helped reduce tinnitus in 75% of patients in an early study. It's described as an iPod size device with which the user listens to a sequence of quiet tones that are believed to quiet or stop abnormal brain rhythms. The developer is ANM Adaptive Neuromodulation (German company).
Old 06-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
In the latest Reader's Digest (July/August 2012, page 34) there is a brief mention of a device that helped reduce tinnitus in 75% of patients in an early study. It's described as an iPod size device with which the user listens to a sequence of quiet tones that are believed to quiet or stop abnormal brain rhythms. The developer is ANM Adaptive Neuromodulation (German company).
I post at great personal risk, since so many have mentioned that just talking about it makes it worse, but...

I did read about this study earlier. IIRC, this was for the kind where you hear specific tones (frequencies). They would filter those tones out of the music on the iPod, and the idea was that by hearing other tones, your mind/nerves would somehow 'shut down' it's sensitivity to the tinnitus tones.

My tinnitus developed abut 6 months ago. I always feared it, as I was exposed to a lot of noise on the farm from ages 10-20. No OSHA people protecting kids on farms, and some of that equipment is like a buzz saw (hay choppers), and you run it for hours on end.

And I always feared that tinnitus would drive me absolutely bonkers, but fortunately, the type I have I seem to tolerate pretty well, so far. Mine is like some have described - like very distant crickets chirping. No specific tone, but not like white noise (steam sound) either. When it first started, I was going around the house trying to find the source (fridge running? toilet running? noisy light dimmer, or TV circuit?). Mine is of the 'in the head' variety, rather than 'in the ear'. I have very occasionally had an 'in the ear' type - that was always a definite pure high pitch - sinusoidal, like a test tone, but would fade away in seconds.

The worst part for me is when I want to do some critical/serious music listening. I used to have a noise just like this in my pre-amp, and have since bypassed the pre-amp by going directly from a computer and hard drive, through USB to a DAC directly to my amplifier. The noise is gone from my pre-amp, but now it is in my head!

-ERD50
Old 06-06-2012, 04:31 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

My tinnitus went away after I lost 35 pounds. Surprised me.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #34

Recently, I got hearing aids for a severe hearing loss on high pitched noises. The hearing aids mask the ringing in my ears. I had my doubts how much they could help. Wow the things I hear now with basically no ringing in my ears. I'm still amazed how well they work. Really not cheap though but if you have insurance it should cover them.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado

There are several newer excellent therapies which have been developed over the last five or so years. Most involve a small device which is a synthetic sound generator fit exactly to your type of tinnitus. It is NOT a hearing aid and has a prescriptive fit. Sort of expensive though. I'll get some referral URL's here.
At this point, no drug therapies offer long term relief. NONE as in Nada. Data has shown over many years, that current drug combos are ineffective.
There is some promising data on several drugs but none are out of testing yet.