TKO Boxing Club

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I took a 1 hr free class this morning that consisted of warmup cardio/stretching; striking routines both boxing and kick boxing on a 100 lb heavy bag; and finishing up with various core exercises. I would estimate that the other participants were in their 20s or early 30s; I am 67. The workout is supposed to burn 1000 calories and I believe it, as I left a puddle of sweat on the floor and almost thought I would barf.

I did a leg day workout yesterday in my regular gym so maybe that was a mistake to followup so soon with this class. Anyway, it kicked my butt. They wanted to know when I wanted to come back for another session, and I told them , let me see how my recovery goes and I'll let you know.

Not sure I will go back, at least not until my softball season is over, because between the softball and 3 workout days at my regular gym, I am getting a lot of exercise, although nothing like the boxing/kick boxing one. I am just not sure I can build up my cardio enough to handle this type of workout on a regular basis. Has anyone else tried anything like this?

I took a 1 hr free class this morning that consisted of warmup cardio/stretching; striking routines both boxing and kick boxing on a 100 lb heavy bag; and finishing up with various core exercises. I would estimate that the other participants were in their 20s or early 30s; I am 67. The workout is supposed to burn 1000 calories and I believe it, as I left a puddle of sweat on the floor and almost thought I would barf.

I did a leg day workout yesterday in my regular gym so maybe that was a mistake to followup so soon with this class. Anyway, it kicked my butt. They wanted to know when I wanted to come back for another session, and I told them , let me see how my recovery goes and I'll let you know.

Not sure I will go back, at least not until my softball season is over, because between the softball and 3 workout days at my regular gym, I am getting a lot of exercise, although nothing like the boxing/kick boxing one. I am just not sure I can build up my cardio enough to handle this type of workout on a regular basis. Has anyone else tried anything like this?

I'm a few years older than you and would not try this. But that's just me and I know my limits. Plus, my hip implant may not handle the shock!

Great that you are so active and still playing softball. ;) I played league softball into my late 50's and had a lot of fun. Now walking good distances is my only real form of exercise.

I'm a few years older than you and would not try this. But that's just me and I know my limits. Plus, my hip implant may not handle the shock!

Great that you are so active and still playing softball. ;) I played league softball into my late 50's and had a lot of fun. Now walking good distances is my only real form of exercise.

We all need to listen to our bodies and know our limits, especially when dealing with old injuries and hip/knee replacements. Anyway, I never underestimate how good a walking program can be. I had been sedate for most of my life and then came down with T2 diabetes at 59. My first form of exercise consisted of walking 3 miles/day and that enabled me to drop 35 lbs in 3 months.

...I took a 1 hr free class this morning that consisted of warmup cardio/stretching; striking routines both boxing and kick boxing on a 100 lb heavy bag; and finishing up with various core exercises. I would estimate that the other participants were in their 20s or early 30s; I am 67. The workout is supposed to burn 1000 calories and I believe it, as I left a puddle of sweat on the floor and almost thought I would barf.

Never tried it, but have observed it. Sounds like it might be a great form of exercise for people in the 20's and 30's. Sounds like a killer form of exercise for someone who is 67.

I am 68 and have noticed that my exercise capabilities have lessened in the past year or two.

I plan to mention this to my doctor, but unfortunately I suspect it may be a normal result of aging. Oh well, better than the alternative. :) Also I might need new knees at some point.

Haven't done it recently but was doing a Tae Bo type exercise routine at the local gym. It involved a lot of punching and kicks but no punch bag involved so probably a lot easier on the body than what you did. It was definitely a very good work out.

I am 68 and have noticed that my exercise capabilities have lessened in the past year or two.

I've noticed that my exercise capabilities have diminished in the last two years (I think I'm now 72). I can't lift as much (I never lifted anything but light weights, anyhow), get tired much more quickly and find that I'm working out much slower pace. And, when I'm exercising on the floor, I find a lack of interest in getting up off the floor. I still do the treadmill as well as ever. But, the exercise downward spiral is discouraging.

67 and change here. No I never tried mma stuff. Did Ju-jutsu on and for for 40+ years. Still do some. Stick with Kyaking in the summer and figure skating in winter.

And, no I have no intention of trying any mma stuff. Stick with what I know. Recovery time is a bit slower than I would like.:LOL:

I've noticed that my exercise capabilities have diminished in the last two years (I think I'm now 72). I can't lift as much (I never lifted anything but light weights, anyhow), get tired much more quickly and find that I'm working out much slower pace. And, when I'm exercising on the floor, I find a lack of interest in getting up off the floor. I still do the treadmill as well as ever. But, the exercise downward spiral is discouraging.

I've gone down hill gradually over the past couple of years, until I went through a 10 day hospital stay last fall, and after that it was much more noticeable. The good news is we all do what we can, and that is always better than nothing. And if we can find something we really enjoy doing all the better. If it wasn't so hot, I'd probably restart my walking program. Now if I could just get my mind to accept what my body can reasonably handle, I'd be a lot better off.

Back
Top Bottom