Join Early Retirement Today

TMAO-Blood Test Predictor of Heart Disease
Old 05-15-2017, 07:48 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

TMAO-Blood Test Predictor of Heart Disease

Has anyone heard of this? TMAO. Cleveland HeartLab Launches Only Clinical Test for Measuring TMAO, an Important Measure of Gut Dysfunction that is Associated with Cardiovascular Disease Risk - Cleveland HeartLab, Inc.

We already have tests such as total cholesterol, LDL, triglyceride levels--it seems to me this would be another definitive test on the presence of disease in our blood vessels.

I "googled" TMAO and there's quite of bit of info on it, though I'm just hearing about it. https://www.google.com/search?q=TMAO...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2017, 11:58 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We hear all the time of totally asymtomatic folks who recently passed all their tests (including stress test) and then drop dead of MI. There must be something going on which can be tested. Maybe this is it. I will ask my cardiologist next visit.

Thanks for sharing.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #3

I came across some mentions of TMAO when I was researching the MTHFR mutation. (DH, older son, and myself have the heterogeneous mutation, younger son has the homogeneous mutation.) One of the consequences of MTHFR homogeneous mutation is elevated homocystienes... Both TMAO (and elevated betaine) and the MTHFR mutation effect the methylation cycle and can produce elevated homocystenes.

I don't know much more about it than that and am far from an expert despite having read a bunch of medical research that was hard to decode...
Old 05-25-2017, 05:30 PM   #4

I just wonder why it seems to be exclusively the Cleveland Clinic that's been fixated on TMAO; they've been at it for years and I haven't seen tons of researchers jumping on the bandwagon.
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote