Join Early Retirement Today

Toenail removal
Old 04-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
gone traveling

Toenail removal

I repeatedly injured a big toenail several years ago playing baseball. It had become so grotesque and painful that I had it removed permanently last Friday. I have to go back to the Dr next Wednesday for a recheck. I was probably falsely under the impression it would be mostly healed by then, but thats not going to happen. It still is very tender and continues to drain a lot and I can't even put on my sneaker. This sucks because I can't play softball or go to the gym which are two of my favorite activities. I googled recovery time on these type procedures and was shocked by some of the lengthy recoveries and extended pain people are going through. I am not sure what to think and am wondering if any on here have gone through this and how long it took to heal? I am type 2 diabetic, so that may not help.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
gone traveling

Oops, can one of the mods move this to the health subsection. Sorry!
Old 04-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Oops, can one of the mods move this to the health subsection. Sorry!
[Moderator note]
Moved to Health and Early Retirement.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I lost a number of toenails from running years ago, but they always grew back.....and wasn't even very painful. Just blisters under the nail, and then a few weeks later they would fall off. Having one removed completely....would hurt. No advice from me other than what happened to me.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
I lost a number of toenails from running years ago, but they always grew back.....and wasn't even very painful. Just blisters under the nail, and then a few weeks later they would fall off. Having one removed completely....would hurt. No advice from me other than what happened to me.
Same here. One thing I know, age slows healing. Had collarbone surgery in October and took 4 months to be deemed healed. When broke other one at 19 (now 63) no surgery and healed in about 6-8 weeks IIRC. NOW, I can't stand the feeling of the titanium plate in there. Not painful, just an awareness. Not worth the $2,000 out of pocket to have it removed though. Ugh.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

About 12 years ago, I was awakened in the middle of the night - on Thanksgiving eve! - by intolerable pain in my big toe. (I've suffered 2 miscarriages, so for me to describe pain as "intolerable," it has to be really bad).

I went to the ER, where the Dr. found the entire big-toe nail bed was infected. I'd injured my toe on the treadmill, and ignored the pain as just another exercise ache. The nail had to be removed down to the quick so the infection could be treated. Then I had to keep dressings on the toe while the nailbed healed, and keep those dressings dry, which I accomplished by putting a newspaper bag on my foot while showering. I cut a hole in my running shoes to accommodate the wrapped-up toe, and wore those everywhere, including to work. As healing progressed, I wore soft bedroom slippers with non-slip rubber soles.

It takes a toenail about 3 months to grow out, and mine grew back right on schedule.

Best of luck!

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am not sure what to think and am wondering if any on here have gone through this and how long it took to heal? I am type 2 diabetic, so that may not help.
DW had a couple removed, no fun. I was in the room despite the nurse not wanting me there. She probably didn't want to deal with me passing out during the procedure. Seems like it took a couple of months to recover.

The DR. did know of your diabetic condition?
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I repeatedly injured a big toenail several years ago playing baseball. It had become so grotesque and painful that I had it removed permanently last Friday. I have to go back to the Dr next Wednesday for a recheck. I was probably falsely under the impression it would be mostly healed by then, but thats not going to happen. It still is very tender and continues to drain a lot and I can't even put on my sneaker. This sucks because I can't play softball or go to the gym which are two of my favorite activities. I googled recovery time on these type procedures and was shocked by some of the lengthy recoveries and extended pain people are going through. I am not sure what to think and am wondering if any on here have gone through this and how long it took to heal? I am type 2 diabetic, so that may not help.
I have never had this done, but it sounds awful. So sorry you are going through this and I hope your recovery is as quick and uneventful as possible from here on out.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

It takes a toenail about 3 months to grow out, and mine grew back right on schedule.
This procedure removed the nail bed (acid) so the nail won't regrow. I'd lost this toenail several times over the years and it would regrew and was never a big deal. That didn't even stop me from playing ball. This however, dissolves the nail bed so it will never grow back. My nail was also quite deformed from the prior losses and was ingrown back at the nail bed and on the sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
The DR. did know of your diabetic condition?
MRG
Yes, Dr knows about the diabetes.

The other forum I visited had so many horror stories it scared the heck out of me, as many of the posters were saying they wish they never had the procedure done, ugh. Hopefully that won't be the case with me, but I just wanted to check here as maybe that other board had too many drama queens
Old 04-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Oh - I never heard of removing the bed itself. Yet, without a nail, how will you protect the top of the toe from injury? Is it meant to just scar over, or grow new skin or something?

A.

Quote:
This procedure removed the nail bed (acid) so the nail won't regrow.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Oh - I never heard of removing the bed itself. Yet, without a nail, how will you protect the top of the toe from injury? Is it meant to just scar over, or grow new skin or something?

A.
I think it just scares over and closes up with skin. They have plastic nails that can protect, but I am not sure if that will be needed, unless someone steps on my toe or I drop a dumbbell on it.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think it just scares over and closes up with skin. They have plastic nails that can protect, but I am not sure if that will be needed, unless someone steps on my toe or I drop a dumbbell on it.
DW'S just healed and got callous. She really can't do polish on her toenails, but never did before.
Best wishes on a speedy recovery.
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote