Join Early Retirement Today

Torn medial meniscus
Old 02-12-2019, 07:45 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Torn medial meniscus

Bummer. And only a month until I retire and ramp up my activities. Probably happened New Years eve when we were at the movies and climbed over the first row railing and I hopped down about 2 feet at most and must have landed awkwardly. Done that a million times before, too. Same knee I had the identical problem with 20 years ago and had scoped to trim off the offending flap that got caught in the joint (OUCH!).

This time doesn't seem nearly as severe, have already gone back to a lot of my typical exercises and activities, and the ortho says that's fine and as long as it doesn't interfere with my regular activities, it's just wait and see. Would hate to do the surgery again, although if needed at least I know it would probably be a success.

For you medical types, the radiologist gobbledygook was:

Complex tear through the middle and posterior thirds of the
medial meniscus with mild to moderate truncation and extrusion of the
meniscal body; there may be small fragments chronically displaced into the
inferior recess at the meniscal body. Complex tearing and fraying extends
along the inferior surface at the posterior horn. No evidence of lateral
meniscus tear.

Larry

madsquopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry about this, hope you heal quickly. 2 months after my ER I had prostate cancer surgery; it wasn't a surprise but still not how I planned my early days of retirement! I'm sure you'll likewise find this to be a blip in your otherwise enjoyable ER.
BTW, I also suggest you change your story. Tell everyone you hurt your knee sliding into second base, running for a touchdown, or some other more "heroic" action.

mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:08 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry to hear that. I had mine done scoped a few years ago. Sucked out the fragments and cut away the torn area to maintain the usable surface in tact. Went in at 6:30 and out by 11:00 AM.

As I recall, the other route was a replacement meniscus. That would have been more expensive and have a longer healing time. Went the scope route because the alternative was available. Thankfully, never needed the replacement. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:13 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Torn meniscus is unlikely to heal. Not much blood flow in that area. That's why they often trim the meniscus rather than repair it.

I don't know if the meniscus plays a part with stability. Mostly I think it is for cushioning. As long as there's not a flap that catching and causing a lot of pain or locking up the knee, you are probably best to leave it. The more of that padding they remove, the less cushioning you have, and the more likely you are to have to replace the knee later.

Wearing a brace during activities may help hold it in place better, if necessary. Be a little more careful about how you land on that knee. When I'm out hiking or running in the mountains, I really don't like hopping down onto an uneven surface. I'll butt-slide as much of it as I can.

I may or may not know what I'm really talking about, but I feel good enough about it to offer the free advice, especially since it seems to match what the doc says.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:58 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My knees have held up pretty well over the years, but I am going to wear knee sleeves when playing softball this year as well as in the gym for working out. Have you tried sleeves?
Old 02-12-2019, 10:05 AM   #6

DW had this a few years ago. Surgery to repair it was amazing. Took about ten minutes and I could watch it on a monitor in the waiting room. Recovery was fairly easy too.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #7

Sorry to hear it. Wouldn't an orthoscopic surgery for this injury have a relatively speedy recovery? Could be much worse with an ACL type surgery.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a torn medial meniscus about 11 years ago and had scope surgery to get it trimmed. It left me bone on bone on that side of the joint and I developed bad osteoarthritis in the joint - worse on the medial side. I managed the issue with cortisone injections for about ten years and then it stopped providing any relief. i got a total joint replacement in my knee last October. I had about two months of recovery before resuming my normal activities. Frankly, this knee is now pain free and works well - I'm able to walk and exercise how I want to. Very happy with the progression to pain free. Unfortunately the meniscus removal kind of steered me down this path...
Paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
BTW, I also suggest you change your story. Tell everyone you hurt your knee sliding into second base, running for a touchdown, or some other more "heroic" action.
Tripping a purse snatcher running from the police....I like it!
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:20 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Just had a similar diagnosis. On December 4, 2018 I had my meniscus trimmed/repaired. Literally, one week later I was on my bike for a light ride around the neighborhood. Today, I am back to full rides, 26 mile plus at full effort. My only concern is the rebuilding of my cardio (knee is not even on the radar). I know we are all different, have different actual tears, and different recovery rates. But, I am more the satisfied, and glad I had the procedure done!
Old 02-12-2019, 04:40 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have had both knees done. Quick recovery. Test it early with PT.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:44 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow that stinks..have been in PT for 2+ months now for a knee issue that no-one can effectively diagnose. Menisci are fine, but have pain driving and after exercise, and DX is only "mild degeneration" and nothing else.

When you have issues walking, driving and walking down stairs, that's when knee issues become a problem since your activities then become limited..

Ah, getting old..
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:43 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds like arthroscopy may have improved in 20 years. When I had it done back then recovery was somewhat slower; wasn't ready to dance for 3 weeks and ultimate frisbee took several months. But I had been really favoring that leg for at least 3-4 months before the surgery so that quad was much weaker than the other.

Anyway, hoping to avoid surgery but will get it done in a second if my regular activities are significantly affected. Sadly I decided to pretty much give up ultimate last year at age 64. Not so much because I couldn't perform; was getting hurt more often basically doing nothing but running or catching and was worried about something really serious happening accidentally, like stepping on someone's foot and breaking an ankle.
madsquopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:24 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquopper View Post
Sounds like arthroscopy may have improved in 20 years. When I had it done back then recovery was somewhat slower; wasn't ready to dance for 3 weeks and ultimate frisbee took several months. But I had been really favoring that leg for at least 3-4 months before the surgery so that quad was much weaker than the other.

Anyway, hoping to avoid surgery but will get it done in a second if my regular activities are significantly affected. Sadly I decided to pretty much give up ultimate last year at age 64. Not so much because I couldn't perform; was getting hurt more often basically doing nothing but running or catching and was worried about something really serious happening accidentally, like stepping on someone's foot and breaking an ankle.

Given up may things due to injuries and surgeries. Karate, softball and basketball to name a few. Have sprained my ankles so many times that the ligaments are goo. Running is what screwed both knees up. Now I walk the neighborhood and good course and do weights. Almost gave golf up when I got a SLAP tear in shoulder hitting balls but fine after two surgeries on that shoulder. From 45-53 I think I'm going on 6 or 7 surgeries for sports injuries. Part of the process.