Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
The only surgery I have had in my life was a meniscus tear ( no arthritis). He showed me the images and said he need to shave the frayed areas. I went originally complaining about my knee hurting when I was running ( that was the only time it ever hurt). What a rip off! I then actually researched this several months after and discovered it is normal for it to fray over time through use. BTW- after surgery he says I shouldn't run again. Well what did I accomplish from this surgery then? Oh wait, I know, to have insurance company help pay the alimony or something I guess.
Thank you for letting me know about your experience.

Are you painfree now? Except when you run?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Hobbes View Post
I also had this surgery, after years of running & like others have mentioned it was a piece of cake.
In on Friday (for my right knee)... Crutches throughout most of the weekend... driving & back to work on Monday - no crutches, but limping.

There was very little pain... but it takes a while for the swelling to go down (2 - 3 weeks from what I recall). Flexibility (or lack there of) is the biggest issue until the swelling goes down.

Late in my first week, feeling invincible, I slipped and fell backwards while carrying my elderly dalmatian down a flight of stairs. (yeah I know... a silly thing to do)

The dog was fine (of course) but I broke my tailbone. Anyway... the tailbone hurt more - and for much, much longer than the knee. So be careful afterwards... you might feel able to do more than you should.

Note: The surgery took place in the winter & I was able to begin (gentle) running again in the spring. Sitting comfortably took a lot longer...
I do have an elderly dog who has arthritis who needs help to get up on her legs and up and down any steps. I will be careful not to do that after I've had the surgery. Thank you for bringing that part of your experience up. I hope you are pain-free now.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you ALL again for sharing your experience and wisdom with me.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2014

Thank you for letting me know about your experience.

Are you painfree now? Except when you run?
Yes, but I was also pain free without running prior to the surgery, also. After the surgery for the first 2 years, the knee would give out occasionally, which it never had done prior. It hasn't happened recently so I think that is ok, now. I really think the problem wasn't diagnosed correctly and he did say there was no arthritis in the knee. I decided to not pursue matter, and just walk. If someone was chasing me with a knife Im sure I could run to get away, assuming he wasn't faster or in better shape, as the knee only started to have shooting pain like clockwork about 3 minutes into running then disappear immediately when I quit running.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2014 View Post
I do have an elderly dog who has arthritis who needs help to get up on her legs and up and down any steps. I will be careful not to do that after I've had the surgery. Thank you for bringing that part of your experience up. I hope you are pain-free now.
I am!... Thanks!
The tailbone took a long time to heal... so please be careful with your old companion & the stairs.

Funny... My knee never really hurt prior to the surgery, although the tear was pretty drastic (as evidenced by the MRI). Instead, it would simply "give out" especially while walking up an incline. Now... it works perfectly (again).

Also, in terms of social sympathy...
Knee surgery (little pain) = LOTS of sympathy.
Broken tailbone (very painful) = NO sympathy! Quite the opposite... I was the "butt" of many jokes.

Take care!
Old 09-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

I had the meniscus tear scoped and a bakers cyst removed/fixed about 6 years ago. Crutches on the day of surgery and also the next day when I came back to have the drainage tube removed. Walking without pain right away and able to run after a month. Rehab was done on my own...you have to be diligent about it. Today I'd guess my flexibility is about 95% on that leg....almost like new, but not quite. I was a runner before (15-20 mpw) and at about the same now.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Just to offer a different experience, I had a torn meniscus about 10 years ago, which initially was painful. Got opinions from more than one orthopedist all of whom recommended arthroscopic surgery. I decided against the surgery however. The problem never recurred. I don't run, but I do swim daily. YMMV.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:55 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have had both ACLs reconstructed. Can run (have to for military duty) and hike (just did 11 mi downhill hike). Can also play badminton (although hit a lunge wrong and notice knee hurts). Most important things: pick a good doctor to get it right anatomically (or shave or repair the meniscus correctly; not do anymore damage while in there (minimize surgical damage); do your PT religiously - you control that aspect of any ortho surgery and it makes a huge difference in how much you get back. Hardest part after knee surgery to regain is extension - that's why they have you extending your leg and propping the heel under a pillow or towel right after surgery and you keep doing that until your extension is back. Flexion can be worked on more easily and over time.

Good luck!
Old 09-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
Just to offer a different experience, I had a torn meniscus about 10 years ago, which initially was painful. Got opinions from more than one orthopedist all of whom recommended arthroscopic surgery. I decided against the surgery however. The problem never recurred. I don't run, but I do swim daily. YMMV.

I am very interested in NOT having the surgery at all. So your experience really interests me. Please help me with the following: How old were you when the MRI showed the meniscus tear? I am 51 now so I wonder if you're significantly younger than me, may be your body heals better?

Also, can you do everything? Go uphill, downhill, do stairs, all without pain and/or the feeling of sliding as if there is no knee there?

I may take up swimming if it may help me build up strength in the legs w/o being weight bearing. I wonder how much your fabulous success can be attributed to your daily swimming?!!! Thank you so much for sharing your happy story.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Yes, but I was also pain free without running prior to the surgery, also. After the surgery for the first 2 years, the knee would give out occasionally, which it never had done prior. It hasn't happened recently so I think that is ok, now. I really think the problem wasn't diagnosed correctly and he did say there was no arthritis in the knee. I decided to not pursue matter, and just walk. If someone was chasing me with a knife Im sure I could run to get away, assuming he wasn't faster or in better shape, as the knee only started to have shooting pain like clockwork about 3 minutes into running then disappear immediately when I quit running.

Thank you for sharing. I am sorry that you don't get to run much if at all anymore due to this problem. I can tell that you really love running. I am inclined to wait for the pain to become unbearable before I have this surgery done. And I will do one knee first then the other one roughly six months later.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I am very interested in NOT having the surgery at all. So your experience really interests me. Please help me with the following: How old were you when the MRI showed the meniscus tear? I am 51 now so I wonder if you're significantly younger than me, may be your body heals better?

Also, can you do everything? Go uphill, downhill, do stairs, all without pain and/or the feeling of sliding as if there is no knee there?

I may take up swimming if it may help me build up strength in the legs w/o being weight bearing. I wonder how much your fabulous success can be attributed to your daily swimming?!!! Thank you so much for sharing your happy story.
I was about your age when I had the injury. I can do everything you mention without pain. I also swim an hour a day and don't feel pain then either, but I only started swimming a couple of years ago so swimming didn't play any role in the knee recovery. It's safer though as you point out, because of the lack of weight stress. A few years after the injury I took up walking and walked about 2.5 hours per day for a number of years. No pain. After taking up walking I lost about 35 pounds in weight and because the lower weight puts less stress on the knee I think this has helped avoid further injury.

However, as I understand it the meniscus itself does not recover. The torn piece is still there and its presence poses a risk that the tear will spread because of the leverage effect of the torn piece. Just like if you get a tear in a fingernail you want to trim it off so that the tear itself does not provide leverage for it to tear further.

So, there is certainly a reasonable case for arthroscopic surgery. However, I decided not to do the surgery largely because I had heard stories of long-term damage from knee surgery. Perhaps those surgeries used different techniques, but I am sure at the time they were presented as the latest thing, just as arthroscopic is presented now. At the time of the injury my leg swelled up and was painful. The orthopedic surgeons gave their advice while my leg was in that condition, but not one of them mentioned that the swelling would subside on its own with or without the surgery. Surgeons are surgery salesman after all.

So, the prospects for your knee depend on the degree of your injury and your pattern of activity. I don't have advice for you, but wish you luck which ever way you decide.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:31 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm turning 52 soon.

Both of my ACLs have been torn for at least a decade. Both of my knees have damage to both their lateral & radial meniscii. Cartilage is getting low, although there's still some left. There's other obscure medical terminology in my MRIs that I'd have to research to remember what it means.

I don't play basketball or ski or skydive anymore. However I can still run (if I have to) and I do just fine with taekwondo & surfing. I can jump up & down off walls or heights, although I'm not taking stupid risks there either. When I sit for long periods in a chair (or with my knees folded under me) then I'm stiff & sore for the first few steps. I can go up stairs two at a time (and down them two at a time) but I usually take it easy.

The biggest difference in my life has been building up my quads & hamstrings to stabilize the knee joints. Squats, lunges, hamstring stretches, walking/running in deep sand. I used orthopedic knee braces for the first year during taekwondo and heavy yard work (carrying 75-pound loads up stairs) but I haven't worn them in years.

I don't have the links handy, but several years back a small study was done on arthroscopic surgery. The 180 patients had knee damage, and all agreed to the study with the understanding that they might not actually have any surgery performed. Some the patients had their meniscus damage trimmed/repaired. Others had an arthroscope hole cut into their knee, but no actual work was done.

The patients self-reported on pain and physical therapy recovery after the surgery.

There was no statistically significant difference in pain, flexibility, or strength between the two groups.
http://www.healthline.com/health-blo...retend-surgery

I'd recommend completing at least six months of physical therapy (initially through a PT clinic and then on your own) before you make a surgery decision. I've deferred mine for over five years, and I don't plan to change that any time soon.

Knee joint deterioration
Propoxyphene aka Darvocet "Voluntary" Withdrawal
Meniscus Tear

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Meniscus tear
Old 09-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #33
Confused about dryer sheets

Meniscus tear

My wife had this surgery 3 months ago; she had been in pain for 2 weeks while awaiting the surgery. She was walking without crutches in 3 days after surgery, although she was hesitant to put too much weight on the knee. She was walking gently within a week, and walking pretty much anywhere in two weeks. We went to youtube and got the rehab exercises.

It was two months before she felt like getting on the tennis court with a brace that is probably not needed. She religiously does 3-4 exercises a day and feels more normal after she completes those.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgburk View Post
My wife had this surgery 3 months ago; she had been in pain for 2 weeks while awaiting the surgery. She was walking without crutches in 3 days after surgery, although she was hesitant to put too much weight on the knee. She was walking gently within a week, and walking pretty much anywhere in two weeks. We went to youtube and got the rehab exercises.

It was two months before she felt like getting on the tennis court with a brace that is probably not needed. She religiously does 3-4 exercises a day and feels more normal after she completes those.
This is such happy news. Thank you very much for sharing.