Join Early Retirement Today

Trabeculectomy experience?
Old 12-17-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Trabeculectomy experience?

Has anyone out there had trabeculectomies for glaucoma? I've been taking eye drops of various types for years to control my pressures, but unless this latest one is particularly effective, I think surgery may be in my future. I'm curious as to the experience of others, especially post-operation.

Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2011, 10:07 AM   #2

friar, I am interested in your post because I am regularly monitored for glaucoma. After running up on this 20 years ago I check annually for increased pressure in the eyes and take the Humphries(?) field test. So far, so good on the eye pressure. I had never heard of the procedure you mentioned so I Googled to reaqd up on it. Best of luck regarding your
problem.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have been taking eye drops for suspect glaucoma for years. I see my ophthalmologist every 6 months and do the vision field test every 2 years.

Xalatan eye drops effectively control my eye pressure. Xalatan recently went generic as latanoprost. My cost for a 90 day prescription dropped from $186 to $16.

As long as I can get effective meds for $16 for a 90 day supply, I will not consider surgery.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've had glaucoma in both eyes for well over 25 years. I see an opthalmologist twice a year for checkups including eye pressure and field of vision. So far I have not lost any vision, but I keep close tabs on it. About 5 years ago the presure in my right eye went sky high (50!). The doc tried various eyedrops, then tried two different laser surgeries in his office. None of this was successful in reducing the pressure, so I had a trabeculectomy done at the Cole Eye Institute of the Cleveland Clinic. The surgery is done outpatient. I had a wrap on my eye for about two days. After that my eyesight in that eye was blurry for about 1 to 2 weeks (don't remember exactly). Since then my pressure in that eye has maintained a good level for me, so I don't need drops in that eye. I still take two drops in my left eye, which is controlling the pressures in that eye. So for me the trabeculectomy was very successful. I understand that some patients need to have the number of sutures "tweaked" in the days after the surgery to get the right flow of fluid out of the eye so as to maintain the correct pressure. I was lucky and didn't need that. The only activity that I have stopped is swimming. I don't want to risk infections in the trab area of that right eye.
PatSea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #5

I'm happy for anyone that has has their vision restored throgh surgery or is aided by drops, etc. I'm feeling sorry for DW as her vision is gradually going down hill, Her eye doctor says there is nothing further he can do for her eyes. She had a detached retina in one eye that has been partially corrected. The other eye has a wrinkled retina on which they did a retina peel. This sounds gross, and I'm still not sure how they do it , but they go inside the eye and peel away layers of the retina until the desired result is achieved. The right eye has reached the limit of layers and she is as good as it's going to get. Her hobby is sewing and she is scared to death that her eyesight is going to decline and she will have to give up her hobby.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can totally empathize with her fear and sorrow. Everyone who has sight, treasures it more than almost anything. But for those of us who express themselves through stitching, losing clear sight (along with the full use of one's fingers) is like losing the ability to speak. I wish something more could be done for her.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Her hobby is sewing and she is scared to death that her eyesight is going to decline and she will have to give up her hobby.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I can totally empathize with her fear and sorrow. Everyone who has sight, treasures it more than almost anything. But for those of us who express themselves through stitching, losing clear sight (along with the full use of one's fingers) is like losing the ability to speak. I wish something more could be done for her.

Amethyst
Thanks Amethyst, but to clarify, her hobby is "sewing" with a sewing machine, like in computer controlled embrodiery machines. The machines do the work and even threads it's own needles but she does the engineering of the quilts, etc. and you have to be able to see the screen on the machine.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #8

friar, you might like the website Prevent Blindness America. You'll find it if you do a google search; then click on discussions. There's an ongoing forum on glaucoma, including many who have experiences with this surgery.

I'm 55 and was diagnosed this last summer with a type of glaucoma in one of my eyes: pigmentary glaucoma. I'm on two drops and do not need surgery, but the situation freaks me out enough that I've tried to read all I can about glaucoma. That's how I stumbled on the website. A number of eye doctors weigh in on answers, so I've learned a lot from the site. Good luck!
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #9

Thanks to all who responded; I haven't been on line very often during the holidays so did not see them all until just now.

In my own case, my mother had glaucoma and I began to have higher than normal pressures at a relatively early age (40's). Eventually I had to start taking drops; first just one type and now I am up to 3 different drops a total of 4 times per day. (I'm 66 now.) The most recent drop was added just a few weeks ago (pilocarpine) and if this doesn't lower pressures, the trabeculectomy will probably be the next step. The new drops are pretty annoying - they darken things a bit and can also cause headaches although that was more at the beginning than now.

Thanks again.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Thanks Amethyst, but to clarify, her hobby is "sewing" with a sewing machine, like in computer controlled embrodiery machines. The machines do the work and even threads it's own needles but she does the engineering of the quilts, etc. and you have to be able to see the screen on the machine.
Johnnie,

I'm no expert, but a while back I'd seen some interesting machines that provide enlarged viewing for people who are suffering from poor vision. They are sort of like huge magnifiers and you don't need to hold them with your hands.

Hopefully your wife's vision will remain stable for years to come. If not, perhaps something that would allow her to still see the screen of her computer-controlled sewing machine would still allow her to enjoy this hobby. Of course, I'm sure she'd also enjoy seeing the output, which this type of machine enlarger should be able to let her do.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote