Join Early Retirement Today

Travel (medical) insurance as a periodic supplement
Old 08-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Travel (medical) insurance as a periodic supplement

I found this thread http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...nce-79192.html but it doesn't answer my question.

Not looking to cover cancellations of airfare, etc.

Rather, I'm trying to find are companies that cover medivac, helicopter transport, and such inside the US - since we have a very high OOP potential.

Would like to be able to buy it for a month at a time, or three months at a time.

Any suggestions?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2017, 02:58 PM   #2

I've had this for years. Affordable and they have a very good reputation.

MASA Assist
Old 08-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

As it happens, Nomadic Matt published a post on just this topic today. I've had great experiences with two of the companies he recommends, World Nomads and The Trip Insurance Store. If nothing else, his check list of things you might want to insure should be very useful.

https://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-b...vel-insurance/
kevink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Insuremytrip.com, set trip cost at zero and it won't cover cancellation and interruption but it will offer plans with primary or secondary health insurance and medevac.
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are currently using oncallinternational.com because they are pre-interfaced with our concierge medicine program. Previously we use travelex. Haven't had a claim with either.

Try searching www.intltravelnews.com for "evacuation insurance" and "Philip Wagenaar" They have published a lot of stuff on this topic, including stories from people who have had to use the insurance. Wagenaar is an MD who has published quite a bit on the general subject of travel insurance too. Some of the material may be behind a paywall, but a subscription is cheap and well worthwhile.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:43 PM   #6

Thank you for the posts!
Old 08-23-2017, 05:33 PM   #7

squaremouth.com is another good quoting provider. Their web filters are really efficient at presenting only providers who will specifically meet your need. Recommended by Chris Elliot the travel blogger and advisor for consumers who have issues with travel providers,
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hello All - I am heading to Australia on vacation and looking at World Nomads for the travel insurance. I have read good and bad reviews when it comes time to making a claim. Can anyone comment if you have had to make a claim them and was it a good or bad experience? Thanks.
chonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

BlueCross will provide a quote and we used them and found them reasonable when we went to Canada
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote