Join Early Retirement Today

Treadmills vs real walking
Old 08-19-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Treadmills vs real walking

Anyone else share my experience, that real walking gives a much better workout than a power treadmill, even with the same time, distance, and hill program? I don't know if it's psychological or if there is a real difference between the two, but my body reacts differently.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2007, 07:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire View Post
Anyone else share my experience, that real walking gives a much better workout than a power treadmill, even with the same time, distance, and hill program? I don't know if it's psychological or if there is a real difference between the two, but my body reacts differently.
Soon, I'm n ot sure it really is different in terms of calorie burn, etc. but certainly can see how the small unevenness of "real" terrain, changes in speed, climate and other factors can make the real thing feel more strenuous.

I know that jogging in the real world in one of my favorite things, but jogging on the treadmill is to me akin to having a root canal.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I have started running laps around my pool (inside the pool, not around the outside). After one lap my legs are on fire, but it is easy on my knees and back.
Bigritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:02 AM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

I also do laps in my pool plus I have found that swimming tones me better than any amount of gym work .Sorry if I'm off the subject .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #5

We had a treadmill at one time, and it was OK but actually walking outdoors at least seemed to be more productive. The only definable benefits of our treadmill were (IMHO): #1 - I could use it regardless of the weather, and not have to deal with the heat, cold, rain, snow, etc. And #2 - there was ALWAYS a restroom nearby!

Plus I like being outside in the fresh air, and not couped up inside....unless of course the weather is really awful!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:14 PM   #6

I vaguely recall reading an article that explained why outdoor running was superior to a treadmill. I believe it was because the treadmill track moves, so you don't use as much muscle power to propel yourself forward as you do on a non-moving track.

Edit: and you don't need to overcome wind resistance on a treadmill.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I much prefer real walking. Today it is raining, so I'll use an umbrella but my legs will get wet anyway. Might as well get ready for winter!

I have no idea whether this is better than a treadmill- I doubt I have walked 5 miles on a treadmill in my life. My favorite thing is hill walking, and my neighborhood has some prodigious hills.

It does seem hard to get a real high HR without running, even up steep hills. Sure does a job on your legs though. There are weight vests that you can use, some up to 75#- a bit too much for me at this point. Sometimes I put 20 or 25# in my pack and except for it swinging around it does increase the load on my legs, though not sure about any effect it might have on wind.

Ha
Old 08-19-2007, 01:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
I vaguely recall reading an article that explained why outdoor running was superior to a treadmill. I believe it was because the treadmill track moves, so you don't use as much muscle power to propel yourself forward as you do on a non-moving track.

That's pretty much the difference, at least that's what a trainer told me. I have a treadmill but only use it in the winter or bad weather. I love being out doors but it's not always possible so if I have to use the "dreadmill" I make sure I vary the incline and speed as much as possible.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #9

never used a treadmill but here in south florida especially in summer it makes sense how popular they are in the nicely air conditioned gym. just got back from there & taking a glance upstairs it looked like all the machines were being used.

don't know but maybe the only excess weight you're losing on your power walks is just water?

meanwhile, lots of people like using the stationary bikes at the gym too but i way prefer a real bike ride, even in this south florida summer heat.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:15 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post

I've read that you should put the treadmill on a 1% or 1 degree uphill grade to compensate for these things.

I personally don't like running or walking on a treadmill. I get too bored and wind up increasing the speed and running less miles, faster. What kills me is that I've got a one mile, mostly crushed rock/dirt trail near my house, and there is a health club right next to it, and even on beautiful days I see people on the treadmills. I don't understand it. But whatever gets people exercising is good.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:44 PM   #11

We had a bit of cleansing rain this morning, and when it stopped I went for a 3 mile run. Half of it through a forest of cedars and firs, and the other half along the coast. Waving to my Mayberry-esque neighbors along the way.

Hard to replicate that on a treadmill.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #12

Went for a long walk outside today and concentrated on how it was different. The main thing, besides what everyone has pointed out, is that my arms are swinging whereas on the treadmill I'm holding on to the bars on the side. That makes a big difference because it gets other muscle groups into the action.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:55 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

At the gym, I usually do half my walking on the indoor track, while I am feeling enthusiastic and swinging my arms cheerfully. Then as I begin to "wilt", I switch to the treadmill. That keeps me moving at a brisk pace during the last part of my walking. I like both the indoor track and the treadmill, and I like the variety of switching from one to the other better than I like either individually.

Walking in the French Quarter is a LOT better exercise than either the indoor track or the treadmill. This is because of the historic ( = uneven) pavement in the Quarter. Keeping my balance as I navigate tilted and uneven pavement can be quite a workout, in comparison. Also, the Quarter is an intriguing place even for those of us who live in the area, so I always feel like walking farther there than I do in the gym.

I don't always have time to go down there to walk, though. Usually I walk in the gym.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:18 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Running Bun is correct. The standard wisdom is that running on a treadmill at a 1% grade is equivalent to running at the same pace on a stationary surface.

I greatly prefer running outdoors however I sometimes do intervals on a treadmill because:

- You can set the speed at a given setting and it forces you to run at that speed. No faster, no slower.

- Since it is easier running on a treadmill you can set it to a faster speed than what you could maintain at a given exertion level on the track. This trains your legs to run at a faster turnover.

The other time that I use a treadmill is when I'm recovering from an injury because if the injury starts to bother me in the middle of the run I don't have to walk home.

MB
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:34 PM   #15

No dicipline to maintain pace in real life, so treadmill seems like work. I set it for the variety of inclines so it just adjusts automatically and I just go along. No stopping to check things out on a treadmill. Seems like work to me!
Old 08-19-2007, 09:04 PM   #16

I walk at an indoor track. I've tried a treadmill and found it numbingly boring. At the facility with the indoor track they have plenty of treadmills and 4 channels of TV to watch, but my walking time is to get away from things like tv!

The track is 1/8 mile long, which may be rare for an indoor track. The surface is cushioned, the place is air conditioned and there are large windows and views all around. It's an upstairs track, so you can look down to the pool or at all the muscular guys lifting weights or kids on the basketball court. It's just a lovely place to go.

I've tried walking outside in the neighborhood. But I don't like the hard sidewalks, I don't want to stop at corners and wait for cars. I listen to music on an iPod and I'm in my own little world when I'm walking and out in the neighborhood, alone in my musical solitude, I just felt like bait for a mugger.

Here's where I walk at the indoor track -
City of Cuyahoga Falls :: Official Website

And a picture of the track. I love the color scheme -
http://cfo.cityofcf.com/web2/parksan...ges/track1.jpg
Sue J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:29 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

In a perfect world, I'd prefer to run outside. But even at my relatively young age of 43, I can tell you me knees and ankles much prefer the padded surface of a treadmill rather than asphalt. Even when I am in top-notch form, I weigh in at 195 or so at 6'2", so that is a lot of pounding on the joints.

If the purpose of the run is a cardio workout, I don't think it much matters where you run, as long as you maintain your heart rate in the range where it is doing some good.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:00 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I run quite a bit and prefer running on the treadmill.. I run 4 - 5 days a week and usally do 1 day outside. Last time I ran outside I had a horsefly chasing me for about 2 miles of an 8 mile run...that was very annoying.. Normaly I run for about 1 hour and watch the business news of the day. I do believe that if you are outside the varied terrain is probably going to give you a better workout.. Kind of like the same idea of free weights vs. weight machines where you are bringing more muscles into play. But... I also find the treadmill easier on my knees and ankles too.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
In Defense of Treadmills...
Old 08-20-2007, 06:02 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

In Defense of Treadmills...

I have an arthritic hip, and the treadmill seems to be less stressful. I am trying to change my workouts, swimming is much better. I have located a Ballys with a nice pool, so I'll be starting the process.
DougViages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougViages View Post
I have an arthritic hip, and the treadmill seems to be less stressful. I am trying to change my workouts, swimming is much better. I have located a Ballys with a nice pool, so I'll be starting the process.
Been having some hip issues myself (as in pain, not as in "cool.") Have you tried an elliptical? Is that better?