Join Early Retirement Today

Tricare and federal dental coverage
Old 04-19-2017, 07:21 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Tricare and federal dental coverage

In a meeting today, several of us retirees were told that you could let the Dental provider that accepts Tricare know you use Tricare Prime or standard and that would change the rate at which you are billed thru your primary dental coverage (Non Delta Dental). Does any of this sound true? Called Tricare and they said call DD but they only have automated systems and no real person to talk to. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

jmhibbs401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2017, 11:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhibbs401 View Post
In a meeting today, several of us retirees were told that you could let the Dental provider that accepts Tricare know you use Tricare Prime or standard and that would change the rate at which you are billed thru your primary dental coverage (Non Delta Dental). Does any of this sound true? Called Tricare and they said call DD but they only have automated systems and no real person to talk to. Any help or insight would be appreciated.
Sorry, I apparently know less than you do about this. What kind of dental provider accepts Tricare, and for what type of service? I think Tricare, in some cases, covers oral surgery. But for normal dental care (fillings, exams, extractions, etc), I can't see how having Tricare would affect what I pay the dentist. I'm willing to learn more, and would like to find an angle to reduce the cost of dental care. I think most military retirees do what we do--we pay out of pocket for it.

samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As a mil retiree, I opted out of dental coverage...the cost savings just weren't there. And as to the original question...well, I don't see why it would matter if you had Prime of Standard, the dental coverage is a whole different coverage. Even the Tricare website says,
Quote:
Dental coverage is separate from TRICARE's medical coverage
https://www.tricare.mil/Dental.aspx

And what "meeting" was this you had? The 3rd aisle at the Commissary?
Old 04-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
As a mil retiree, I opted out of dental coverage...the cost savings just weren't there. And as to the original question...well, I don't see why it would matter if you had Prime of Standard, the dental coverage is a whole different coverage. Even the Tricare website says,
https://www.tricare.mil/Dental.aspx

Clean up on isle 3!!
Old 04-19-2017, 12:21 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post

That's what I said. I've been retired 21 years and nobody has invited me to a meeting like that.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #6

Completely variable. Every dentist does his or her own thing.

For example, my dentist "accepts" no insurance of any kind from anyone.
He is happy to bill any dental insurance you may have and take what they pay, but then he bills me for the difference between that and whatever he charged.

And at that I'm lucky because my friend's dentist bills him first and he has to get reimbursed from his dental insurance.

Actually I'm double lucky because we have good subsidized dental insurance from DW's former employer (they continue to offer it to retirees).
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:55 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
That's what I said. I've been retired 21 years and nobody has invited me to a meeting like that.
I recall attending such a meeting 7-8 years ago when I was booted from Tricare Prime and just prior to being enrolled in TFL. Recall being loaded up with much reading material. Could DD in original OP be referring to Delta Dental?

FWIW I have never thought that dental insurance (not really insurance anyway) was ever worth the cost, but it's an individual option.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote