Join Early Retirement Today

Tricare For Life Premium Increases?
Old 02-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tricare For Life Premium Increases?

Congress is again trying to balance the budget on backs of retired military.

Quote:
The chart below shows the schedule of increases for the first five years. The fees shown would be for a married couple, both eligible for Medicare. Singles would pay half the rate indicated.
MOAA is particularly concerned at this plan to means-test service-earned health care benefits. No other employer means-tests retired employees' health benefits.
- See more at: MOAA - New TRICARE Fees Could Be Coming to You

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2016, 03:58 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have far too many people that never contributed a thing in their life to the country that get better benefits than Vets. It's pretty bad when an illegal immigrant gets better benefits than a Veteran.

If it were up to me, I would say Veterans have paid enough, they should not even need to pay income taxes. Only 0.5% of the population is a Veteran. It should be 100%.

If only they could develop a formula that could means test benefits based on the persons contribution to society. If you did not contribute enough, you do not get a benefit.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #3

Boy! Ain't that f*&^%ing b&lls%&t!
Old 02-19-2016, 05:56 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

We're only going to see more of this sort of thing as veterans become a smaller and smaller minority group. Not only in the country, but particularly in Congress.

This year Congress has just 18.7% of its members with some military service. Compare that to 73% in 1971-72.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vet.jpg (266.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-19-2016, 06:40 PM   #5

This is the first sign of what I mentioned, I believe on this very forum, at least a couple of years ago. The "Thank you for your service" and talk of "HEE-roes" will turn slowly into harangues of "We as a nation can no longer afford these privileged hangers-on with their gold plated medical plans that even working Americans cannot afford!

And, in usual fashion, instead of doing something about everybody, they'll just take something from some other group to make everybody feel better because now we're all "the same."

If there's going to be anything like the Bonus Marchers of 1932, if I'm physically able, I'll be there.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:04 PM   #6

I would think it would be hard to pass this in an election year, maybe after November elections.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:29 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I just hope they don't try to means test veterans disability compensation. Any thing is possible with these spineless politicos.

JMHO
Old 02-19-2016, 11:39 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Everybody understands that the current Tricare For Life premium is zero, right?

And that Congress has been trying to impose a premium for nearly a decade?

And that somehow the proposal never gets incorporated into the final version of the defense authorizations, let alone subjected to a vote by the entire houses of Congress?

I think it's possible that someday Congress might impose a TFL premium. But I'm skeptical that it'll happen during any election years.

By the way, it'll be interesting to see that "military veterans in Congress" chart updated in Jan 2017. I haven't researched the numbers, but I suspect there's been an uptick over the last couple years.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
If it were up to me, I would say Veterans have paid enough, they should not even need to pay income taxes. Only 0.5% of the population is a Veteran. It should be 100%.
I think your numbers are off on the number of veterans, overall probably closer to 7%.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:27 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

in the future tri care will be lableled an entitlement just like social security and medicare, even though the people who are recieving it did and paid with either money or service to the country. not fair is not a strong enough word for this.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:47 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Everybody understands that the current Tricare For Life premium is zero, right?
But only if the retiree enrolls in Medicare Pt A and B and pays $105/month.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old 02-20-2016, 11:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
in the future tri care will be lableled an entitlement just like social security and medicare, even though the people who are recieving it did and paid with either money or service to the country. not fair is not a strong enough word for this.
I understand the service part. But, not being military, I don't understand the money part. Is it possible to buy into Tri care?

Entitlement might be an apt description. Most of us pay into SS and medicare throughout our income earning years - and expect a benefit later. It is labeled an entitlement because the recipients are legally entitled to the benefits after paying in for decades. Isn't tricare similar except it's with years of service rather than payroll taxes?

I am in no way suggesting that the premium increases are fair... I don't know enough about it to say one way or the other. I'm just trying to understand the issue.

I live in a military town and am surrounded by retired military. This issue will effect a large percentage of my neighbors.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Isn't tricare similar except it's with years of service rather than payroll
taxes?
OP is referring to "Tricare For Life", which is part of the Tricare program. In order to qualify for TFL the retired service member must also enroll in Medicare. TFL is considered a Medicare supplement.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
But only if the retiree enrolls in Medicare Pt A and B and pays $105/month.
Yep. And we're all probably going to do that anyway... or live expat.

But TFL is a free Medigap policy (so far), and we have a choice on whether or not to insure against the Medicare copay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I understand the service part. But, not being military, I don't understand the money part. Is it possible to buy into Tri care?
Not that I'm aware of. Perhaps Frank is describing active duty (service) and the servicemember's family premiums (money).

Reserve/Guard members only receive Tricare benefits if they're on active duty for at least 30 days, or they can buy a Tricare Reserve policy. Retired military have a choice of Tricare Standard (no annual fees but 20% cost share) or may be in a Tricare Prime geographic region (annual fees and copays). Adult children of military servicemembers are eligible for their parents to pay for Tricare Young Adult, which will cover them until age 26. TYA was created to match the ACA's equivalent coverage.

That's the bare-bones basic description, I probably skipped over a few exceptions, and it quickly gets way more complicated. But I think that's Frank's point.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:24 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep. And we're all probably going to do that anyway... or live expat.

But TFL is a free Medigap policy (so far),
If I recall correctly, at one time retirees over 65 were not required to enroll in Medicare and received healthcare at military hospitals at no cost to them. Congress changed this and now requires them to enroll (and pay) for Medicare @ 65 in order to qualify for TFL.

TFL is not free (someone DOD? pays for it) but retired members are not charged for it at the present time.