Join Early Retirement Today

Tricare Plus
Old 03-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Tricare Plus

I was on Tricare Prime until they kicked me out for being age 65. After enrolling in Medicare and TFL, I have been seeing a civilian Dr. I am considering enrolling in Tricare Plus which I just found out about yesterday (not sure why I never investigated it before) and since our area has a large military Medical Center they seem to have this program available.

Is there anyone here that is familiar with Tricare Plus and can give me pros/cons on the coverage?

Quote:
<H2>Eligible Beneficiaries
Quote:

Beneficiaies using any of the following health plan options can use TRICARE Plus:
  • TRICARE Standard and Extra
  • TRICARE Standard Overseas
  • TRICARE For Life
Beneficiaries using TRICARE Plus have access to primary care appointments with the same priority as Prime-enrolled beneficiaries. TRICARE Plus is not available to beneficiaries enrolled in a TRICARE Prime option, a civilian HMO, or Medicare HMO.
</H2>Special Programs - TRICARE Plus

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for posting. This is something I know nothing about but it looks interesting. I am 60 but have already been looking at how Medicare and TFL will work for us. Hopefully someone on the forum has expereice with Tricare Plus and will share some of their wisdom.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wish I could help, but I too am just starting to look at TLC and Medicare. Just curious, but from what I gathered today was at age 65 and no longer eligible for Tricare Prime, it looks like costs will go to ~105/month per individual. Or roughly $2520/year for a couple. Is this correct?

That's quite a bit more than the $538/year for a family. That's $2K I wasn't planning on.
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:02 AM   #4

Very interesting!
This is the first I've heard of Tricare Plus. Looks like there would be no reason not to enroll, since it isn't related to other programs.

I've been using Medicare/TFL for a couple of years now and am highly satisfied with it. But I'm just about 70 miles from a good military hospital so I'll be checking to see if they offer the Plus option.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
it looks like costs will go to ~105/month per individual

That's the cost of Medicare Pt B that you are REQUIRED to join in order to get TFL FOR FREE.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote