Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Actually, the jury is still out on that. For example:
Does Alcohol Improve Triglyceride Levels?
I stopped reading the article at this point. Good enough for me.

However, observational epidemiological studies, small clinical trials, and meta-analysis of these studies show little if any association between alcohol intake and triglyceride levels and even show benefit from alcohol consumption on cardiovascular risk in patients with and without diabetes.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Wow. I'm impressed. I hadn't thought about fruit juice - we both drink a lot of that. Just curious, what's your typical breakfast/lunch/dinner menu? Also, I'm guessing you avoid alcoholic drinks to keep your numbers this low.
I drink wine and sometimes liquor, no beer. For the rest, just imagine what you eat without any bread or wheat or rice or corn other grain products, no sugar or sweets, modest amount fruit, and only berries and occasional small servings of citrus, very rare to no potato, rare roots such as sweet potato, no corn, lots of greens, green beans, spinach, salad, some tomato and avocado. Stuffed peppers and chiles, eggplant,etc. It is easy to find out which veggies are low carb.Then add more butter, olive oil, and cream than you probably eat, and as much eggs, beef, lamb, chicken fish and shellfish as you have appetite for.

I never have juice except, mostly in football season, a Bloody Mary. (On the west coast, most games from the east and midwest are morning TV.) If I want another, the second one is just the vodka.

Modest amount of full fat Greek yogurt-maybe 1/3 to 1/2 cup/day, some tree nuts and a bit of peanut butter.

My breakfast this morning is a lot of sauteed spinach with a poached egg on top. Some mornings it will be fish and eggs, occ. steak or a burger and eggs, often 2 egg omelet with spinach, cheese and onion. Yesterday lunch was raw oysters and steamed clams, supper was salad and sauteed mixed green beans with a bit of cheese melted on top. Today I am making a ground lamb curry and green beans for my main meal. Whenever I can I use grass fed meat and always or almost always wild fish.

Ha

Old 08-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for sharing Ha. Actually, we include many of the items you eat in our diet, except - as you guessed - bread, potatoes, corn and rice. We eat a lot of salads, chicken, beef and fish. I'm also a big believer in using olive oil. I'll look into the possible benefits of lowering carbs for sure.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Actually, the jury is still out on that. For example:
Does Alcohol Improve Triglyceride Levels?
Thanks for the link. It is so tough to keep track of what effect various foods and drinks have on your system!
Old 08-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow. I'm impressed. I hadn't thought about fruit juice - we both drink a lot of that. Just curious, what's your typical breakfast/lunch/dinner menu? Also, I'm guessing you avoid alcoholic drinks to keep your numbers this low.
Yeah - you really have to watch the sugary content of what you drink. Fruit juice is just as bad as soda in this regard. Best to get your fruit nutrients from whole fruit where you also get the benefit of the fibers, and you don't get nearly the sugar (carb) or calorie load.

High triglycerides has everything to do with the sugars and starches in your diet. Triglycerides don't come directly from ingested fat, but rather come from sugars/carbs converted to fat to be stored in the body.

Mayo Clinic has good articles about nutrition and blood chemistry.
Triglycerides: Why do they matter? - MayoClinic.com

Many doctors seem to be out-of-date when it comes to their nutrition knowledge. I don't think it's a priority subject in medical school anyway.

Audrey
Old 08-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm with Ha & Khan et al....Low carb diet will be more effective on Triglicerides.

I have been consistently eating low carb for 2 years & my Triglicerides (age 57) are 36 (the average is supposed to be 40 - 249 per the test) - which is below normal range. My family history would indicate it should be the opposite.

I primarily eat meat of all kinds, eggs, cheese, nuts and occasionally green vegetables, plus any non-sweet dressing I like (mayo, blue cheese, Italian etc.). No grains/bread, sugar/sweets or fruit. I drink some wine & coffee with cream.

Yeah, it sounds like with all the fatty food I should have horrible health, but I don't.

You might want to check out this forum: http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php?
Old 08-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #27
gone traveling

As far as drinking goes (I only drink red wine) and I am a T2 diabetic, consumption of alcohol does push up my Tri's.

In an effort to bring my Tri's down, I was instructed to not drink one week before my BT. To push the point, I stopped drinking wine for a month before my BT (I was crabby that month).

My Tri level dropped by more than a hundred points (from the 3's, to the 2's).

Next BT, I stopped drinking wine one week before. While my Tri's dropped, it was not as dramatic.

My heart care doctor (one of many) said that while stopping the wine dropped the Tri's, overall the benefit of the wine to my health was more important and not to go overboard (e.g. not more than two glasses/day).

While I don't always stick to that schedule, I try to skip a few days to make up for other days (averages are everything)...

Drinking wine (for me) is a two-edged sword. It's good for my health overall, but bad for me if taken to excess...
Old 08-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #28

Quote:
I eat fat all day long, but not much carbs, and my last triglyceride result was 21.
Better protect that portfolio – you’re gonna live to be 100.

Quote:
Today I bought some Smart Balance "buttery spread", low fat mayo, low fat salad dressing, catfish fillets, and ground turkey to make some chili. Spent a lot of time reading labels at the grocery store.
Any tasty, low fat/cholesterol (and frugal of course!) food suggestions you have would be most welcome.
Lots of good responses here.

We use canola oil, canola margarine, and lots of olive oil. Very little mayo. Salad dressing is envelop with balsamic & canola. We have lots of animal protein – turkey, chicken, bison, fish, and also lots of greens and vegetables. Only brown rice, sweet potato, or whole grain pasta. DW is an excellent cook so our food is tasty and varied. We have lots of turkey and bison dishes.

Audrey is right on 2 things – gotta get the sugars down, doctors aren’t necessarily up to date on nutrition. Not a dig, just not well covered in their training. There generally is pretty good advice on this forum...
Old 08-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Based on my own experience, I am in complete agreement with the folks that say that dietary carbohydrates are the main contributor to high triglycerides, not dietary fat. Focus on limiting or eliminating things like refined flour, fruit juice, potatoes from your diet, and you should see improved triglyceride levels right away. Here is what Dr. William Davis has to say about it:

Cholesterol - Fats vs. Carbohydrates: Which Are More Important to Reduce Triglycerides?
Old 08-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We use canola oil, canola margarine, and lots of olive oil. Very little mayo. Salad dressing is envelop with balsamic & canola. We have lots of animal protein – turkey, chicken, bison, fish, and also lots of greens and vegetables. Only brown rice, sweet potato, or whole grain pasta. DW is an excellent cook so our food is tasty and varied. We have lots of turkey and bison dishes.
I'm guessing you eat bison instead of beef because it's lower in fat. We also do brown rice and whole wheat breads and pastas - if you hang onto some carbs, I suspect it's better than foods made from white flour or white rice.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

One more question - any opinions on oatmeal and oat cereals? Lots seem to think it's good for lowering cholesterol (at least the commericals for these products indicate this - and we all know we can trust commercial messages).
Old 08-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #32

Quote:
I'm guessing you eat bison instead of beef because it's lower in fat. We also do brown rice and whole wheat breads and pastas - if you hang onto some carbs, I suspect it's better than foods made from white flour or white rice.
I used to eat a lot of whole wheat bread and pasta also, thinking the complex carbs in it were good for me. Then I read a few articles like this one, also by Dr. William Davis:

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/c/7986/112680/carbohydrates

Since then, I have cut out most wheat products from my diet, and my blood pressure has improved greatly. I also lost some weight around my mid-section, which I couldn't lose by reducing fat in my diet. Not sure about triglycerides yet, as I won't have that test for a few months yet, but I am betting it is down as well.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:05 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As a type 2, I've discovered that whole wheat breads and pastas and brown or wild rices might be better than the whites (as far as the glycemic index goes), they are still carbs, still easily digestible, and will raise my blood glucose readings really high and really fast. Stay away if possible, but if not, stick with the browns.

Quote:
One more question - any opinions on oatmeal and oat cereals? Lots seem to think it's good for lowering cholesterol (at least the commericals for these products indicate this - and we all know we can trust commercial messages).
Ignore the ads, oatmeal and oat cerals are right up there with potatos and white rice as far as carbs and cholesterol go. If even the FDA (most clueless nutritional organization out there) has figured it out, it's pretty nuch a done deal. FDA Scolds General Mills Over Cheerios Claims
Old 08-29-2010, 12:23 AM   #34

Quote:
Some years ago, the doc told my mom she had high cholesterol, and to cut the eggs and eat only oatmeal for breakfast, as a natural way to bring down the cholesterol numbers. Note please that she ate eggs but only 3-4 a week, before receiving this advice. So, she eats only oatmeal for breakfast along with a glass of OJ (no milk because of lactose intolerance), and proudly goes back to the doc 6 months later thinking her cholesterol would have gone down. But, au contraire, it was up 50 points, so the doc put her on meds (not Dawg's style of med...the kind in a pill).

I am not sure, but I think if you really wanted to eat a lot of oatmeal, I would probably stick with oat bran hot cereal instead (ready to eat has tooooo much sugar). Certainly don't go to an OJ and Oatmeal diet...from mom's experience.

R
Old 08-29-2010, 01:55 AM   #35

The only blood test I took that said I had high triglycerides, I had a large glass of orange juice the night before (about 10 hours before the test). Coincidence, maybe, but if you check out the calorie count alone of fruit juice, it's a show-stopper. I've quit all fruit juice, and eat fruit instead. I've changed many other things over the years to get my mostly-great blood test results now, but I think dropping fruit juice (and of course all sugared drinks) was a really important step.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
I used to eat a lot of whole wheat bread and pasta also, thinking the complex carbs in it were good for me. Then I read a few articles like this one, also by Dr. William Davis:

Since then, I have cut out most wheat products from my diet, and my blood pressure has improved greatly. I also lost some weight around my mid-section, which I couldn't lose by reducing fat in my diet. Not sure about triglycerides yet, as I won't have that test for a few months yet, but I am betting it is down as well.
Thank you very much for that link for Dr. Davis's articles. I spent a good portion of the morning reading and printing.

Over the last year, I've pretty much eliminated bread products from my diet but still have a few Rye Crisp every day with peanut butter or hummus. I was interested in any information regarding Triglycerides and this link really was spot on with what I wanted.

At the time of my last BT, my Triglycerides were in the mid 200s and at the time, I was really into oatmeal for breakfast. This summer for breakfast I've been having berries and Greek style yogurt and maybe a little Fiber One mixed in. I don't have another BT 'til Feb so it will be interesting to see what changes in Feb if I take some of Dr. Davis's advise.

I don't think I will be increasing my saturated fat tho since the last time I tried that experiment I had another bout of pancreatitis....
Old 08-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Professor of Cell Biology at SUNY Downstate Interviewed on Diet

Hyperlipid: More fighting talk

In this interview Dr. Feinman mentions-(paraphrased) It is said that we are what we eat. But this is not true, the body is about chemistry, and chemistry is about transformations. In fact, the saturated fat in our bloodstream comes from carbohydrates.

Ha
Old 08-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post

Dr. Davis notes:

"Legumes like kidney beans contain amylopectin C, the least digestible form of amylopectin-hence the gas characteristic of beans, since undigested amylopectin fragments make their way to the colon. Colon bacteria feast on the undigested starches and generate gas, while making the sugars unavailable for you to absorb.

Amylopectin B is the form found in bananas and potatoes and, while more digestible than bean amylopectin C, still resists digestion to some degree.

The most digestible is amylopectin A, the form found in wheat. Because it is the most readily digested by amylase, it is the form that increases blood sugar most vigorously. This explains why, gram for gram, wheat increases blood sugar to a much greater degree than, say, chickpeas, kidney beans, or sweet potatoes-even though they are all "complex" carbohydrates."

So, according to him, the same property that causes gas after eating beans limits the increase in blood sugar. They are hard to digest. Couldn't help but think about that scene in Blazing Saddles
Old 08-29-2010, 06:18 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
My diet is somewhere between Mediterranean and Atkins maintenance.
All I know is I ate much less after retirement.
It doesn't seem to matter what I eat, it is much less than the stress eating while I was w*rking.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Talk to your doctor about fish oil supplementation. Omega 3 fatty acids in fish oil have been shown to significantly reduce serum trigylcerides. A prescription form of omega fatty acids exist (Lovaza), but OTC omega concentrates seem to be just as effective.

I take Zone Omega concentrate. 4000mg fish oil per day that has 1600 EPA and 800 DHA. Again, ask your physician.

Winston Churchill
mark500 is offline   Reply With Quote