Triglycerides

You know, I am kind of tickled that many of us here are on the same page with low-carb (at least with avoidance of empty starches) although I don't adhere to it as much as I should.

The thing is, nobody listened to me only 10 years ago when I found the better way of eating, including my diabetic friend (type2) who ate tons of white rice while avoiding fats like the plague...(That must have been the standard "healthy eating" then and it still is to a certain extent.) I guess things have turned around a bit (or people on this forum are better informed than the average...doctors.)

The thing is, nobody listened to me only 10 years ago when I found the better way of eating, including my diabetic friend (type2) who ate tons of white rice while avoiding fats like the plague...(That must have been the standard "healthy eating" then and it still is to a certain extent.) I guess things have turned around a bit (or people on this forum are better informed than the average...doctors.)

I think this is still the ADA recommended diet for diabetes. My old roomate has diabetes, good insurance, lots of doctoring, but he eats the usual low fat diet (and necessarily high carb since you have to eat something). Poor guy no longer can feel where his feet are.

Ha

I think this is still the ADA recommended diet for diabetes. My old roomate has diabetes, good insurance, lots of doctoring, but he eats the usual low fat diet (and necessarily high carb since you have to eat something). Poor guy no longer can feel where his feet are.

Ha

Mother was insulin dependent diabetic the last ~30 years of her life. I watched her stuff down all those refined carbs and she tried to tell me that I should be on the high-carb diabetic diet so I could lose weight.

The carbohydrate load is the same, the amount of calories is the same, but the speed of release of the sugar into the bloodstream is different, and this is what affects the body's insulin response.

Audrey

OK thanks, I googled a few refs on this, most seem to indicate the steel cut have a GI of 42, and the rolled from 55-66 at different sources.

The reason I'm so skeptical is that while the steel cut are chopped and are thicker than rolled, they are cooked longer to compensate for this. They are both pretty 'mushy' after cooking. And we chew our food, I would think it would be pretty similar once it hits the stomach. But I guess the GI are taken from actual tests on humans, so if that test is really reflective (there are some skeptics on that end also - is two hours the 'right time'?), then I guess it does make some difference.

I actually like the steel cut, just never got into a good routine for getting it cooked for breakfast (boil the night before and let it sit covered and reheat the next AM worked OK though).

-ERD50

Mother was insulin dependent diabetic the last ~30 years of her life. I watched her stuff down all those refined carbs and she tried to tell me that I should be on the high-carb diabetic diet so I could lose weight.

IIRC, the ADA wants you to stay away from refined carbs, but they do push complex carbs.

-ERD50

IIRC, the ADA wants you to stay away from refined carbs, but they do push complex carbs.

-ERD50

Hey, I thought Wonder Bread "builds strong bodies 12 ways".

The problem with oatmeal isn't so much "rolled v. steel-cut", it's all the brown sugar I add. I add lots of "good" fat, though, in the form of butter... :whistle:

I was diagnosed as a T2 a bit over ten years ago (complements of the U.S. government, but that's another story).

As part of my management plan, I had to take an 8-hour course at a local hospital to inform/teach me how to manage the situation. Even back then, they preached the idea of a low carb diet, as later accepted by the ADA:

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2008/12/29/6033/ada-2009-recommendations-reaffirm-acceptance-of-low-carb-diet/

The problem with a high-fat (rather than high carb) diet for a diabetic is that you are in the same situation as one who has already had a heart attack:

http://www.newsroom.heart.org/index.php?s=43&item=380

So it is a constant balancing act to manage your diabetes (mainly T2, since T1 does not have all the dietary restrictions) by watching everything you eat.

I've been lucky to manage mine for more than a decade by diet/exercise. While my numbers (e.g. A1C) is increasing gradually, I know I'll have to go to meds, and maybe on to insulin in the future (hey, pills/needles don't bother me, and I'll get in increase in my VA disability).

Just my story...

The problem with a high-fat (rather than high carb) diet for a diabetic is that you are in the same situation as one who has already had a heart attack:

http://www.newsroom.heart.org/index.php?s=43&item=380

Rescueme, maybe a vitamin B1 supplement can help protect against these cardiovascular risks:

BBC NEWS | Health | Diabetes problems 'vitamin link'

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conte...232d45232b2f2441516f573146527d764512a75d892a8

(this is no medical advice; I know nothing; newer research may have invalidated my supposition)

I was diagnosed as a T2 a bit over ten years ago (complements of the U.S. government, but that's another story).

As part of my management plan, I had to take an 8-hour course at a local hospital to inform/teach me how to manage the situation. Even back then, they preached the idea of a low carb diet, as later accepted by the ADA:

[URL]http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2008/12/29/6033/ada-2009-recommendations-reaffirm-acceptance-of-low-carb-diet/[/URL]

"The current edition reaffirms the ADA's landmark decision in 2008 to accept low carbohydrate diets as one method people with diabetes can use to lose weight in the short term (up to one year).

Previously, the ADA, as well as many other public health organizations, had recommended low fat diets that precluded any more than very light consumption of red meat, eggs, dairy products, and other high protein, high fat foods. Because diabetes increases the risk of cardiovascular disease, the concern was that a high fat intake could lead to arterial plaque and other vascular obstructions."

It appears from this piece that you cited above that the ADA in 2008 decided it was OK for diabetics to use carefully monitored low carb diet for up to one year, for the purpose of losing weight.

So I would say that your training in 2000 was not mainline ADA, and that mainline ADA even in 2010 is not low carb as the preferred diabetes control diet, but carefully monitored low carb for a short period for the purpose of losing weight.

Ha

In my store steel cut oats are $5.79 and old fashioned oats are $1.75.

I've been craving oatmeal lately, maybe I'll try the steel cut oats and see if I like them $4 more than the old fashioned.

My triglycerides were a little high a while back, so I tried eating steel-cut oats for breakfast (among other things), to see if it would help. Six months later, I had another blood test, and the triglycerides were even higher. So, oats definitely didn't help me at all. They're still loaded with carbs, like all grains. Here's another article from Dr. Davis that supports this:

Cholesterol - Oatmeal: Heart healthy. . . or Not?

Back
Top Bottom