Join Early Retirement Today

Triglycerides
Old 08-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Triglycerides

DH just had a complete check up. His triglycerides are in the high range. Doc says he has to cut down on the fatty and high cholesteral foods. I'm looking for food suggestions to help get his numbers down. Looks like eggs and bacon will be a rare treat.

Today I bought some Smart Balance "buttery spread", low fat mayo, low fat salad dressing, catfish fillets, and ground turkey to make some chili. Spent a lot of time reading labels at the grocery store.

Any tasty, low fat/cholesterol (and frugal of course!) food suggestions you have would be most welcome. DH is not picky, but does love a nice steak once in a while and really loves his bacon/eggs/grits breakfast on the weekend. He also loves veggies and we have salad almost every day. This is good for me too since my levels are borderline high.

Thanks

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
gone traveling

Do you take fish oil caps?...

Old 08-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Do you take fish oil caps?...
Yes, we do.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Mine improved when I added Mevacor to my diet.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Isn't there some evidence that a diet high in refined carbs can lead to high triglycerides?
Old 08-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Isn't there some evidence that a diet high in refined carbs can lead to high triglycerides?
Not sure. We don't eat much in the way of refined carbs, but it would be good to know if it's something to watch out for.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
That's what I understand too. Sweets are really bad as well as too much starchy food (potatoes, rice, wheat - whole wheat or white - which all turns to sugar).

From what I know, fats have nothing to do with it, although as many know, some say the opposite.

Personally, I would reduce the amount of starchy food I eat, eliminate sweets/any kind of sweeteners, eat small amount of whole fruit, eat tons of leafy (or low-carb) veggies (raw and cooked) and eat butter/bacon, etc, as before. But that's just me.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Yes, they do, and not only refined carbs. I would be willing to bet that if total carbs went down by a third to a half, and that if those that remained were mainly fruits, veggies and whole grains (no more white bread, potatoes, or sugar sweetened drinks...at all), the tri-glys would come down quite a bit. Mine did. YMMV. Another tip: don't drink your carbs. If he is a big beer drinker, cut back. Again, no sugar sweetened drinks. Eat an orange instead of drinking the juice...same for apples. Good luck.

R
Old 08-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'm not convinced that any of that 'low fat' stuff is really any better for you. They just fill it with other stuff to give it some (bad, IMO) taste.

I thought that the amount of cholesterol in the food you eat has very little to do with blood cholesterol levels? That was 'old school thinking'? Each person metabolizes the cholesterol in different ways, and I think that has little to do with how much is consumed.

I really don't know what to think in all this, but I limit refined carbs, because I see nothing that favors them (and I can easily limit them). So outside of that, I eat a diverse diet, and keep telling myself to exercise more .

-ERD50
Old 08-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
DH just had a complete check up. His triglycerides are in the high range. Doc says he has to cut down on the fatty and high cholesteral foods. I'm looking for food suggestions to help get his numbers down. Looks like eggs and bacon will be a rare treat.

I would research carefully, and perhaps experiment with his own reactions to different foods. My brother had very high triglycerides, 500+. He went on a very low carb diet and his are now around 50. I eat fat all day long, but not much carbs, and my last triglyceride result was 21.

Ha
Old 08-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
[/FONT][/COLOR]

I would research carefully, and perhaps experiment with his own reactions to different foods. My brother had very high triglycerides, 500+. He went on a very low carb diet and his are now around 50. I eat fat all day long, but not much carbs, and my last triglyceride result was 21.

Ha
Isn't this similiar to the diet with high fat/meat and low carbs Atkins came up with?
Old 08-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Fructose seems to increase triglycerides. Maybe some products he eats are particularly rich in fructose?
How Does Fructose Affect Triglyceride and Cholesterol Levels?

They put HCFS in everything now. Certain yoghurts, certain breads... I'm trying to check the ingredients of what I buy and it's very depressing.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
Fructose seems to increase triglycerides. Maybe some products he eats are particularly rich in fructose?
How Does Fructose Affect Triglyceride and Cholesterol Levels?

They put HCFS in everything now. Certain yoghurts, certain breads... I'm trying to check the ingredients of what I buy and it's very depressing.
Yeah Tigger, I'm already on the anti fructose bandwagon. Avoid it like the plague. Bad stuff fur sure.

Right now, I'm eyeing the healthy heaping portion of Fancy Feast I just served the cats and am thinking it might be pretty heathy stuff - low fat, low carb, high protein and no HCFS. What do they know I don't know
Old 08-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Right now, I'm eyeing the healthy heaping portion of Fancy Feast I just served the cats and am thinking it might be pretty heathy stuff - low fat, low carb, high protein and no HCFS. What do they know I don't know
You'll get hairballs...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Isn't this similiar to the diet with high fat/meat and low carbs Atkins came up with?
Yes, though I lean more to the paleo-diet end and do more fresh meat and fish than bacon, ham, etc. VLC though, I think no more than 50gm or so of carb on a normal day. I use a food scale for most veggies and fruits, and last week was the first time I have eaten potato in almost 15 years. And that was probably less than one small new potato, and in a restaurant and too good to give up.

My diet feeling goes like this- it is obvious that mainstream medicine doesn't have anything useful to day about this. Statins do lower LDL and total chloesterol, but most of the non pharmacological interventions suggested by MDs do diddly at best. So I am not taking much chance to just ignore what they say. I read a lot of papers, and I pay attention to my lab results. I don't know of many 69 year olds with triglycerides of 20mg/dl, and I think all of them are low carbers.

I mentioned my brother. In 1986 I visited him in Bradenton FL. They had moved down from Minneapolis, and he was going wild on fresh orange juice and grapefruit juice. He was diabetic and "controlled" with several oral meds. He told me his triglycerides, the number was sky high. I said 500+, but it may have been over 1000. I was aware of the fructose connection from reading John Yudkin an English cardiologist whose fructose theories were briefly popular in the 60s, before they were overrun by the cholesterol bus. So I told him to ditch the juice. Very shortly his readings were cut by 2/3. In recent years he has gone VLC, and after passing out a few times from his oral diabetic meds causing hypoglycemia _ (25 mg/dl on one occasion at a Ft. Worth hospital) he got a new clever woman doctor who took him completely off meds. On his current diet, he is for practical purposes no longer diabetic, and his triglycerides are low although he would go sky high if he ate what most people eat.

To my way of thinking, the only downside of this sort of diet is social- some people kind of resent it when you pass on their special Black Forest cake.

Ha
Old 08-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #16

I switched to Egg Beaters or my store brand equivalent. I kind of got used to them and use them for scrambled eggs and omelets or for anything that would need beaten eggs.

Ask the dr about niacin, it's supposed to be good for cholesterol and triglycerides. I take Rx Niaspan ER but when I run out I'm going to try the OTC Niacin slow release. We have a new insurance plan with a high Rx deductible. Niacin is known for having a side effect of flushing (rapid, tingly hot flash) and the Rx ER version is an extended release that's supposed to prevent that. I take an aspirin 30 minutes before the Niaspan ER at night and only had the flushing happen once. Quite unique and if I hadn't known what it was I probably would have been worried.

Niacin slow release OTC is very inexpensive if the dr is ok with it.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You'll get hairballs...
But with a soft & shiny coat...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #18

Alcohol also leads to high triglycerides. If he had a couple of drinks the day before, it may have affected his test.
Exercise will help reduce it.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
My diet feeling goes like this- it is obvious that mainstream medicine doesn't have anything useful to day about this. Statins do lower LDL and total chloesterol, but most of the non pharmacological interventions suggested by MDs do diddly at best. So I am not taking much chance to just ignore what they say. I read a lot of papers, and I pay attention to my lab results. I don't know of many 69 year olds with triglycerides of 20mg/dl, and I think all of them are low carbers.

Ha
Wow. I'm impressed. I hadn't thought about fruit juice - we both drink a lot of that. Just curious, what's your typical breakfast/lunch/dinner menu? Also, I'm guessing you avoid alcoholic drinks to keep your numbers this low.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Alcohol also leads to high triglycerides. If he had a couple of drinks the day before, it may have affected his test.
Exercise will help reduce it.
Actually, the jury is still out on that. For example:
Does Alcohol Improve Triglyceride Levels?