Join Early Retirement Today

Trimming the waist
Old 12-30-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Trimming the waist

Besides liposuction, what's the best, fastest, surest way to lose inches off the waist? I know "they" say you can't really target weight loss to specific areas of the body, but surely there must be some tried & true methods to slim the abdominal area I'm doing crunches, push-ups and running 1.5 miles 3 times a week, all geared towards my PT test that is required by the AF Reserves, but my waist is just being stubborn. I need to take 2-3 inches off asap....who knows the secret

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Less food.

Sorry, kind of flip, but I don't think there is magic.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Every person burns fat differently and from different areas of their body first. It's not unusual for the abs/waist to be the last place to visibly lose fat. In order to accomplish your goal, you need to burn fat. Calories in minus calories burned. It's simple. All the crunches and push-ups in the world won't help you unless you have a comprehensive plan that takes into account your diet also. Monitor your diet - eat 1500 calories broken up in to 5 meals throughout the day. You'll lose a couple pounds a week. If you start weight training with your cardio then you'll lose more. With the exception of lipo, there's no short-term solution when it comes to fat loss.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:30 PM   #4

Well Martha and Macdaddy said pretty much what I would have. If you look at people with rock hard abs they virtually have no other body fat. I guess it must be the hardest part of the body to get rid of fat from.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:53 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
I know "they" say you can't really target weight loss to specific areas of the body, but surely there must be some tried & true
You can't really target weight loss to specific areas of the body.

The first step in exhibiting a six-pack is to get rid of the fat layer which might be hiding it. Sad but true.

That said, some people (men usually) avidly retain their abdominal fat even at their "ideal" body weight. Just means you've got to work a little harder.

Interesting point: abdominal fat cells are not dumb, inactive storage cells. They produce all kinds of nasty chemicals and are worth getting rid of.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:03 PM   #6

martyb--Why don't you go to the fitness center on base? Anybody one here would only be able to give you general advice, like has already been given. The fitness center has personal trainers willing to work with you to set up a program, including diet changes. We had one set up a program for our squadron when I was in designed specifically for our mission. It work very well, for those who put it into use.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
martyb--Why don't you go to the fitness center on base? Anybody one here would only be able to give you general advice, like has already been given. The fitness center has personal trainers willing to work with you to set up a program, including diet changes. We had one set up a program for our squadron when I was in designed specifically for our mission. It work very well, for those who put it into use.

I already am going to the fitness center, that's where I do my running. I reckon I already knew the answer, I was just hoping for a magic secret from you wise sages lol! I haven't availed myself of any of the fitness gurus at the center yet though, been just working on my own. I guess it's time to take that next step and get some help. Looks like it's gonna be harder than I thought. For some strange reason, it's tougher and progress is slower than when I was in my early thirties! Thanks for the input, folks.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:38 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Practice sucking your belly button towards your spine several times a day (seems easier when sitting).
Old 12-30-2007, 07:21 PM   #9
Administrator

You can't really target weight loss in one area, BUT....

if you are not in very great shape, working out on a couple of abdominal machines four days a week at the gym will result in compliments and people thinking that you lost weight after maybe a month or two. The fat is still there, but you are able to suck it in better.

Worked for me....

Meanwhile, you can work on losing the weight because if there is less to suck in, you'll look even better!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:28 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

A trainer should be able to help you. There's nothing magic, but often just doing different things (and a trainer will make suggestions) kind of shocks your body into working harder and burning more calories for longer. If you do the same old things all the time you get very efficient at them.
I got visible results in a month (just four sessions with a trainer), even though my time spent working out each day did not increase.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:47 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have it on good authority that one must stop drinking. Caution: I have no personal experience with this approach.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:22 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Well Martha and Macdaddy said pretty much what I would have. If you look at people with rock hard abs they virtually have no other body fat. I guess it must be the hardest part of the body to get rid of fat from.
The one thing that can happen... rock hard abs under a nice layer of fat.... if you only do crunches etc.. you work your ab MUSCLES, but that does not burn fat...
Old 12-30-2007, 10:25 PM   #13

Quote:
what's the best, fastest, surest way to lose inches off the waist? I know "they" say you can't really target weight loss to specific areas of the body, but surely there must be some tried & true methods to slim the abdominal area

Burn more calories than you consume. Works like magic.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:26 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For some strange reason, it's tougher and progress is slower than when I was in my early thirties! Thanks for the input, folks.
Have you seen the commercial with Peyton Manning.... he said if you are not under 23 (!!!!) or a professional football player you will not have rock hard abs.... kind of a funny one... but so true...
Old 12-31-2007, 01:23 AM   #15

Eat less, exercise more.

The rule of thumb is that running burns about 100 calories per mile on average (of course it will be more for some and less for others) so your running regimen only burns about 450 calories per week.

There are 3500 calories in a pound of fat so you are only burning an incremental 0.13 lb of fat/week.

MB
Old 12-31-2007, 03:15 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Interesting point: abdominal fat cells are not dumb, inactive storage cells. They produce all kinds of nasty chemicals and are worth getting rid of.
Rich,

I read this term "abdominal fat" and I wonder what it refers to. Does it mean only intra-abdominal fat, or subcutaneous fat that happens to be placed on the abdominal area, or both?

I guess that it means what is internal to your abdominal wall, rather than what is subcutaneous, but I am not sure.

Ha
Old 12-31-2007, 06:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
Burn more calories than you consume. Works like magic.
Not to be discouraging but i'm not sure that's always true. I've been on vacation for two weeks and have taken in over 4000 calories per day on average and have done zero exercise of any kind and I still lost 3 pounds. At 6'6" and 156 pounds I can't seem to gain a pound no matter what I do so I assume that there are probably people who are the exact opposite.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:15 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Rich,

I read this term "abdominal fat" and I wonder what it refers to. Does it mean only intra-abdominal fat, or subcutaneous fat that happens to be placed on the abdominal area, or both?

Ha
Good question and interestingly it seems to refer primarily to subcutaneous fat (as far as metabolic activity and risk go). No one knows why, but intra-abdominal fat is actually less dangerous, ounce for ounce.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Not to be discouraging but i'm not sure that's always true. I've been on vacation for two weeks and have taken in over 4000 calories per day on average and have done zero exercise of any kind and I still lost 3 pounds. At 6'6" and 156 pounds I can't seem to gain a pound no matter what I do so I assume that there are probably people who are the exact opposite.

I hate to disagree, but the theory is very simple. If you take in more calories than you expend you will gain weight, if you take in less than you expend you will lose weight, it is that simple. You said you took in on average 4000 per day. With your build, assuming no medical issues, I would presume you have a very fast metabolism. I was the same way when younger, it seemed I could eat everything and not gain any weight. When I became interested in gaining muscle, I started monitoring everything I ate and everything I did and found excess energy usage. I was surprised how much unnecessary movment I had in my normal day to day activities. I cut that out and increased caloires to well over 5000 per day and low and behold my muscle mass and weight went up.

There are generally three body types and each type has their issues with weight. While one body type, like yours, seems to have difficulty gaining weight others have more trouble losing weight, but it can be done. It just takes persistance, desire, and knowledge, assuming no medical problems.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:45 AM   #20

Here's an old recruiting trick the active duty guys would use....if you are close for measurement purposes (only!)....not sure if urban legend, but the folks in MI swore by it for getting their borderline guys through MEPS: baste your midsection (where they measure) in bengay, then wrap with plastic wrap...several hours before you are schueduled to be taped. This is only a temporary fix!

(for you civilians, we in the military if over the weight for our height on the "charts" (specific for each branch) then they measure you (neck, waist, hips, abdomen, wrist - the measurements also vary by branch of service) and tally the numbers to check your "bodyfat" percentage. No problem if calculated within the limits. Micromanaged weight/workout programs, negative remarks on evaluations, and possible administrative discharge if "out of round" for too long)