Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-21-2016, 05:33 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You don't need to purchase health insurance off the exchange, just buy it directly from the insurer.
buying directly from the insurer is off the exchange. When you buy directly from the insurer, you are not able to get the subsidy.
Note that one insurer I looked at noted that with their plans the network off exchange has some differences that on exchange as some doctors don't want to support both.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2016, 05:35 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
buying directly from the insurer is off the exchange. When you buy directly from the insurer, you are not able to get the subsidy.
Note that one insurer I looked at noted that with their plans the network off exchange has some differences that on exchange as some doctors don't want to support both.
I know that. The OP was worried that he couldn't find a doc to take an ACA plan. The easy solution is to not buy an ACA plan on the exchange.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I know that. The OP was worried that he couldn't find a doc to take an ACA plan. The easy solution is to not buy an ACA plan on the exchange.
sorry. when I read
Quote:
You don't need to purchase health insurance off the exchange, just buy it directly from the insurer.
I did not take "off the exchange" to mean from the exchange. I took it to mean not from the exchange.

But both plans from the insurer and from the exchange are both ACA compliant (ACA plans).
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:04 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
sorry. when I read
I did not take "off the exchange" to mean from the exchange. I took it to mean not from the exchange.

But both plans from the insurer and from the exchange are both ACA compliant (ACA plans).
OK to clarify. If you are worried about the network, just go to an insurance agent to buy health insurance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:52 AM   #25
Confused about dryer sheets

I have purchased insurance for myself, and for my DW through the exchange in PA for the past two years, as well as purchasing Medicare Advantage plans for my parents through the Medicare website for many years. The ONLY thing I can say for sure is that the plans change every year, and that you need to dig deep to determine which doctors and hospitals are covered every year. We live near the border with NY, and our plans covered doctors in NY one year, and dropped them the next. Part D plans change their formularies each year (i.e., deductibles for each drug). How was my 81-year old, internet-disabled father supposed to decide between Part D plans that could differ by thousands of dollars in OOP expenses? I am truly amazed that anyone can suggest that this annual reshuffling of the deck in the name of "competition" is in the best interests of the citizens. It's obvious that the changes (and the resulting confusion) are in the best interests of the insurance companies, not the insured.
gmshedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:37 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thank you everyone! I had not thought about buying the insurance direct from the insurance co, OR a broker. We will not qualify for a subsidy, so this may be the best option, and hopefully will have wider acceptance-
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:27 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Another possible option is to buy from an HMO you can live with. We have been covered through Kaiser on the exchange since the start of 2014 and while the billing has been wildly screwed up this year (courtesy of the state exchange), the care has been flawless.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I'd recommend buying directly from the insurer in PA. Out kids have had a hard time finding quality doctors that accept healthcare from the exchange in Philly.
I really don't get these discussions, given that off-exchange plans are generally the exact same plans you get on the exchange (same networks).

I understand that if you're in expanded Medicaid you're going to have issues with exchange plans, but someone please explain why an ACA plan would have provider issues with the same network you get with an off-exchange plan. Are insurers running different (i.e. limited) networks with ACA plans, and if so how is that legal?
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:46 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
I understand that if you're in expanded Medicaid you're going to have issues with exchange plans, but someone please explain why an ACA plan would have provider issues with the same network you get with an off-exchange plan. Are insurers running different (i.e. limited) networks with ACA plans, and if so how is that legal?
There are other discussions on this but I can tell you that when I had Coventry (bought through a broker, off-exchange), my gyno's office told me they didn't take the Coventry from the Exchange but they accepted mine.

So yes, they CAN offer a plan on the Exchange with a more limited network (and, presumably, lower rates negotiated with the docs, which decreases the number of docs willing to be in the network). I have no problem with that, but I do believe that insurers shouldn't be allowed to change their networks OR their prescription formularies after Open Enrollment. That's just plain bait-and-switch. It's also an under-the-table rate increase since you're getting less coverage than what was offered when you signed up.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:47 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
So yes, they CAN offer a plan on the Exchange with a more limited network (and, presumably, lower rates negotiated with the docs, which decreases the number of docs willing to be in the network). I have no problem with that, but I do believe that insurers shouldn't be allowed to change their networks OR their prescription formularies after Open Enrollment. That's just plain bait-and-switch. It's also an under-the-table rate increase since you're getting less coverage than what was offered when you signed up.
My understanding is that these groups and network participation are negotiated annually. So in most situations, an insurer or provider can't suddenly decide, midyear, to stop a particular provider's network participation (or change the formulary). They can, however, change the network and/or formulary for the *next* calendar year. So it becomes important to confirm, at open enrollment time, that your in-network docs and facilities will still be in network.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote