Tumor

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Last week diagnosed with a tumor in the lower (inner) tongue area, walnut size. (isn't it interesting that medicine, rather than inch of metric uses fruit size measurements?).Had a CT scan and confirmed by a biopsy. Have not met with the MD but I usderstand the treatment will be radiation rather than removal.
Earlier this year in Feb I had my second A-fib heart ablation and this one seems to have worked. I resumed excercise and at 65 next month, was the healthiest I have been in years and since retirement in 2008. Hope to see the back side of this and get back to travel after looking after MIL who is 90 & in hospice. Life has its twists, more than the financial market, never know what it will come up with.

Anyone seen the backside of these ailments and now as active as ever?

Last edited:
Also retired in 08. In a lot better health now than when I was working but no
major problems. Prayers for your full recovery.

My dad had two heart attacks, a quadruple bypass surgery, then a couple years later a gall stone caused peritonitis resulting in a 8 month hospital stay along with 10 or 20 surgeries. After all of that he turned 60.

Today he is 82 and shoots a 78 on the golf course (18 holes). Sometimes drives a cart, sometimes walks the course.

Good luck and hope you get over this quickly.

I had a heart attack in mid 2008, followed by a quad bypass, then retired in 2010. I do ok, and have a couple other chronic conditions [prostate c also] that require some activity adjustments, but not bad so far. I turn 65 in a couple months. I stay active, eg: just finished 5 days in the backcountry on a dirtbike and had a blast. Just give the frailties the big finger...

You can get used to the changes that result and work with it without having to involve everyone else, thus getting as far back to normal as possible.

Good Luck, man.

Last week diagnosed with a tumor in the lower (inner) tongue area, walnut size. (isn't it interesting that medicine, rather than inch of metric uses fruit size measurements?).Had a CT scan and confirmed by a biopsy. Have not met with the MD but I usderstand the treatment will be radiation rather than removal.
./.
Sorry to hear that. A very close family friend had a similar ailment in his early 60's. He had a partial removal after radiation didn't do enough and then went back to work as a pediatrician, sprite and witty as ever. IIRC he sold his practice and retired at age 70. Godspeed.

Sorry to hear about your issues.

My former manager, I was his direct when this happened, had a grapefruit sized tumor removed from behind his cheek. IIRC it was a 15 hour procedure through his soft palete. He didn't need chemo or radiation, but had a lot of rehab issues. They had to put in a prostatic palate and he had to learn to talk again, at 60 yo. To complicate things he was a Brit who was very proud of his accent. They suggested a speach therapist, he quickly rejected that idea as he refused to sound like an American. All was well after he got to speaking again.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Prayers and best wishes for a full recovery.

My BFF had the ablation done at age 45 - it changed her life for the better. She'd always been active but the heart racing/arythimia that comes with afib was sidelining her. No incidence at all since the procedure. (She's 52 now, dance ballet, mountain bikes, walks 5 miles each way to work,.... very active.)

I had a tumor the size of a 'small potato' removed from my neck in college. It was benign - but was potentially going to obstruct or pinch something if it wasn't removed. (I looked like I had goiter on one side... very weird.) No problem whatsoever since the removal other than a slight numbness under my chin as a result of the surgery.

I hope your radiation treatments are entirely successful and this is in your rear view mirror in very short order.

I hope the radiation goes well and you have a quick recovery.

Not quite the same health issues, but my dad had kidney failure, a stroke, and bladder cancer surgery all in the same week last year at age 81. Plus he had major medication side effects where he was hallucinating and acting completely crazy. We didn't think he would recover and weren't even sure he would live through all of that. He has also had a heart attack, has a-fib and COPD. He made a full recovery and just finished a fix and flip house (his hobby) where he and a friend did all the work. We cannot believe he is back to doing physical labor and having fun after all of that. The body is pretty amazing at healing.

A good friend had a neck tumor removed five years ago. He had chemo & radiation . He is fine today & still doing a very physical job.

Earlier this year in Feb I had my second A-fib heart ablation and this one seems to have worked. I resumed excercise and at 65 next month, was the healthiest I have been in years and since retirement in 2008. Hope to see the back side of this and get back to travel after looking after MIL who is 90 & in hospice. Life has its twists, more than the financial market, never know what it will come up with.

Sorry to hear about your issues, but good news about your successful A-Fib ablation. I was diagnosed with A-Fib in March, the type which resets itself but expect it to get worse as I age. (I'm 60 now).

Dancing With Mr C blog

For anyone interested in the 'process' I am going through with cancer diagnosis & treatment I have started a blog: Dancing With Mr C

May make some of the financial analysis a little less important.

I've been dealing with A-Fib for about ten years (I'm 43). Tried several ablations. Didn't work. Got a pacemaker. I feel better now than I did in my 20s. Pleased to hear you are also feeling better.

Good luck with the tumor.

I am sorry that you have been diagnosed with cancer. I hope that your treatment goes well and your travels start up again. I am going to start reading your blog, which I am sure will have good information. Good luck.

I am sorry that you have been diagnosed with cancer. I hope that your treatment goes well and your travels start up again. I am going to start reading your blog, which I am sure will have good information. Good luck.
+1. It is a big challenge, I am hoping that you are completely successful.

Ha

Yakers,

Prayers and best wishes for a quick recovery.

In Jan 2007 I was diagnosed with stage III pancreatic cancer. It has a dismal 5 yr survival rate of 5-10%. After whipple surgery to remove the tumor and simultaneous chemo and radiation I am doing fine today.

I am very blessed and thankful for my recovery. I will be doing two half marathons in the months ahead.

For anyone interested in the 'process' I am going through with cancer diagnosis & treatment I have started a blog: Dancing With Mr C

May make some of the financial analysis a little less important.

I have read your blog to date. I love the love that you have for your wife, your soulmate, and I am so very sorry that your family is having to go through this again. However, I hope that 20 some years from now, you are still enjoying life the same as your spouse. I am already learning some things about cancer from your blog.

It also made me think about all the people that are out there in the world that you never get a chance to meet. You talk about the importance of music, dance, drumming, meditation, travel and family. I am sure that I would have liked you and Susan, if we had ever met. I know that there are many people on this site who do not believe in God and heaven. I am one of the ones that do believe. I like to picture a heaven where our souls can meet with all the other souls that we did not have a chance to meet on earth. We will have an eternity! I will keep you in my prayers. (I hope that I have not offended any of the non-believers.)

2Soon2Tell's quote:

In Jan 2007 I was diagnosed with stage III pancreatic cancer. It has a dismal 5 yr survival rate of 5-10%. After whipple surgery to remove the tumor and simultaneous chemo and radiation I am doing fine today.

I am very blessed and thankful for my recovery. I will be doing two half marathons in the months ahead.[/QUOTE]

Wow, what an inspirational story. I had to look up whipple surgery. Looks like you were extremely lucky to be a candidate for this surgery and that you must have found a surgeon that was experienced it doing it. It appears to be a very difficult surgery. It is amazing that you have had such a great recovery that you will be doing the half marathons. I wish you a long and healthy life.

Last edited:
Dreamer,

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, the Whipple surgery is very complicated and you need a surgeon with a lot of experience with this procedure. The surgery removed half my pancreas, my gall gladder, one third of my stomach and several inches of my small intestine. Fortunately here in Houston we have some of the best doctors in the country.

A good side effect from this surgery is the ability to not gain weight. I weigh less now than when I played football in high school which was over 50 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom