Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

For anyone with sciatica pain... no harm giving the herb a 1 month trial. Developed your own science.

2020 or bust!
Or
Perhaps 2021...2022...NVM
Lukeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2018, 10:59 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
If you look hard enough, you can find all sorts of claims for pretty much every food/herb/non-medicine.
True. Same for whether (or not) to take just about any drug you can imagine. It's pretty easy to find a study supporting (or not) your position on a drug or supplement. As others have said, just follow the money. Someone is telling the truth, but hard to figure out who. For now, I'm just following my doctors advice.

I asked both doctors about Fish Oil and daily supplements. They both said to forget about supplements and to just eat healthy - which I'm trying to do. The naysayers will tell me that they (the doctors) don't benefit from supplements so they will continue to prescribe Rx (since they're in bed with Big Pharma). Could be, who knows. But, to my knowledge neither of my doctors have written a book or are selling anything on the side.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:16 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Actually, there is a fair amount of science behind the health benefits of turmeric, if you dig through the medical literature. Here is one example, and a quote from the Abstract:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23013352

RESULTS:

Curcumin, but not placebo, produced the following statistically significant changes: lowering of plasma triglyceride values, lowering of salivary amylase levels, raising of salivary radical scavenging capacities, raising of plasma catalase activities, lowering of plasma beta amyloid protein concentrations, lowering of plasma sICAM readings, increased plasma myeloperoxidase without increased c-reactive protein levels, increased plasma nitric oxide, and decreased plasma alanine amino transferase activities.
CONCLUSION:

Collectively, these results demonstrate that a low dose of a curcumin-lipid preparation can produce a variety of potentially health promoting effects in healthy middle aged people.
Again, another study funded by the supplement industry. That's not to say the study can't be trusted, just take it with a grain of salt.

From the Study:

This work was supported by a grant to RAD from Verdure Sciences.

From their website:

Verdure Sciences® is a supplier of plant-based ingredients with an emphasis on intrinsic synergies and clinically backed tangible health applications.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
here's the thing - placebo effect or no, it's one of the things that you can add into your diet and it can't really hurt anything, unlike NSAIDS.
When I researched turmeric some time ago I learned it is known for irreversibly worsening certain bowel conditions. I'm not able to find the info right now, perhaps someone else recalls this.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:51 AM   #65

Quote:
here's the thing - placebo effect or no, it's one of the things that you can add into your diet and it can't really hurt anything, unlike NSAIDS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
When I researched turmeric some time ago I learned it is known for irreversibly worsening certain bowel conditions. I'm not able to find the info right now, perhaps someone else recalls this.
What he means is he is under the impression (fill in phytoceutical) can't really hurt anything. It could be it does but we just haven't recognized it yet.
Latest studies show.......

From the Dr Pritikin site: (he croaked at 69 btw Clearly there is no reason to think it was anything other than his diet that caused his leukemia and suicide. Must have been his diet.)

https://www.pritikin.com/your-health...olive-oil.html

Hype: Olive oil will protect you from a heart attack.
Truth: Olive oil is not heart–healthy.
Yes, foods rich in monounsaturated fats like olive oil may be better than foods full of saturated and trans fats, but just because something is “better” does not mean it is good for you.

“Better” cigarettes (those with less nicotine and toxic chemicals like benzo(a)pyrenes) still promote lung cancer. “Better” monounsaturated fats like olive oil may still lead to diseased arteries

A tablespoon of olive oil has almost twice as much saturated fat as one egg. But they keep saying eggs are bad and and olive oil is good and want to blame every single disease, especially cancer and heart disease, on DIET! DIET! DIET! Every doctor I've ever seen believes it like a 5 yr old believes in Santa Claus. Science without end, Amen. Ridiculous.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:54 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
I asked both doctors about Fish Oil and daily supplements. They both said to forget about supplements and to just eat healthy - which I'm trying to do. The naysayers will tell me that they (the doctors) don't benefit from supplements so they will continue to prescribe Rx (since they're in bed with Big Pharma). Could be, who knows. But, to my knowledge neither of my doctors have written a book or are selling anything on the side.

I agree that eating a healthy diet is best, but my guess is that not everyone eats an optimum diet that provides 100% of every nutrient, vitamin, etc. that they need to maintain good health and avoid chronic diseases over the long-term. So I am not opposed to taking a few supplements if I am convinced that they may provide benefits, without undue risks.

With regard to your comment about doctors, unfortunately our whole system is set up so that Big Pharma basically dictates how doctors relate to patients, and what type of advice they (doctors) give to patients. That was reinforced to me the other day when I had my annual check-up. I had a list of blood tests that I wanted to have done, and as usual, the doc had to reject a few of them as ones he didn't think insurance would cover (even though he thought they were reasonable tests to add, considering my history). Then I got the usual lecture about statins, when I clearly don't need one based on most of my blood numbers (but the AHA cardiac risk calculator says that I do as he pointed out......and we know who funds AHA). So you really have to take advice from most doctors with a big grain of salt also. Doctors don't have to write books or be selling anything on the side; any doctor that regularly meets with drug reps is probably benefiting from that relationship in some way. Here is one article about this, there are many more you can read if you look around:

https://www.newsweek.com/how-pharma-...s-minds-593189
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #67

Interesting, I told my doctor I’m taking fish oil and he did seem to nod in approval. My MIL took fish oil, once a day, because she didn’t cook fish regularly. She did live a reasonably healthy life except the last 2 years. She was never bedridden, never in a wheel chair.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:14 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post

The only thing I can find is benefits for various bowel condition. Let me know when you find that info...
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
I agree that eating a healthy diet is best, but my guess is that not everyone eats an optimum diet that provides 100% of every nutrient, vitamin, etc. that they need to maintain good health and avoid chronic diseases over the long-term. So I am not opposed to taking a few supplements if I am convinced that they may provide benefits, without undue risks.

With regard to your comment about doctors, unfortunately our whole system is set up so that Big Pharma basically dictates how doctors relate to patients, and what type of advice they (doctors) give to patients. That was reinforced to me the other day when I had my annual check-up. I had a list of blood tests that I wanted to have done, and as usual, the doc had to reject a few of them as ones he didn't think insurance would cover (even though he thought they were reasonable tests to add, considering my history). Then I got the usual lecture about statins, when I clearly don't need one based on most of my blood numbers (but the AHA cardiac risk calculator says that I do as he pointed out......and we know who funds AHA). So you really have to take advice from most doctors with a big grain of salt also. Doctors don't have to write books or be selling anything on the side; any doctor that regularly meets with drug reps is probably benefiting from that relationship in some way. Here is one article about this, there are many more you can read if you look around:

https://www.newsweek.com/how-pharma-...s-minds-593189
I've read a bunch of them. Basically, the big money is with Big Pharma. Since the government doesn't want to fund huge amounts for testing, it's up to the groups that actually have the money to fund the organizations and many of the studies. An obvious conflict of interest. But, does that make the studies right or does it make them wrong. I admit I don't know.

My reference to books had to do with the doctors that write books (or have websites) to show how certain drugs/supplements either work or don't work (depending on the point of view they are SELLING). They all have plenty of "studies" that prove their point, but show none that disprove their point (of which there are plenty). Should I trust any of them, since they have an obvious conflict of interest just like the AHA has conflict of interest by getting money from Big Pharma.

The very "study" you gave supporting the supplement in question is funded by a company in the industry that sells the supplement. Using the AHA/Big Pharma logic, how can you believe this situation is any different?

Again, who can you trust? As I said before, you can always find a study that either supports a drug/supplement or one that shows they don't work.

As for your doctor making suggestions, could it be that he's right in making the suggestion? Obviously, we each need to make our own decisions based on our own research, but if you can't trust your doctor, or for that matter the research you've read due to conflicts of interest, then I guess at some point you've just got to make a decision based on gut feel.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #70

Quote:
The only thing I can find is benefits for various bowel condition. Let me know when you find that info...
I tried it at my GF's sigestion. She graduated medical school and spent 40 yrs as a researcher, so I figured she had more cred that "latest studies show..."

I used the capsule form of turmeric as it was easiest to take in useful dosages. Not the penny ante or inexact -sprinkled on some vegetables- amounts

Caused internal bleeding. Inflamed large intestines and the bleeding was not at all subtle. Almost like an episode of the Outer Limits or something. "Man goes into bathroom for daily constitutional... then suddenly....!

And there was nothing else new in my life or diet during those 2 weeks as I knew I needed to scrupulously track everything specifically so I could tell any differences from the usual. Within 3 days of stopping everything was back to normal
Old 09-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
What he means is he is under the impression (fill in phytoceutical) can't really hurt anything. It could be it does but we just haven't recognized it yet.

We use it as a spice/additive, in raw powdered form, just as it has been used for at least 2500 years. Pending any groundbreaking studies to the contrary, I'm comfortable with that...

Quote:

From the Dr Pritikin site: (he croaked at 69 btw Clearly there is no reason to think it was anything other than his diet that caused his leukemia and suicide. Must have been his diet.)

No reason? Not even the fact that his leukemia was induced by radiation exposure?

Quote:
Science without end, Amen. Ridiculous.

Well, if you think science is ridiculous I'm not sure what else can be said...
Old 09-20-2018, 12:42 PM   #72

Quote:
We use it as a spice/additive, in raw powdered form, just as it has been used for at least 2500 years. Pending any groundbreaking studies to the contrary, I'm comfortable with that..
So am I. Unfortunately that has little to do with what I said.

Quote:
No reason? Not even the fact that his leukemia was induced by radiation exposure?
See above. Nobody knows what caused his luekemia. Again, a complete misreading what I said.

Quote:
Well, if you think science is ridiculous I'm not sure what else can be said...
I do not think science is ridiculous. I didn't say that. I think superstition is ridiculous. Now that that'd settled.. Have a nice rest o' the day :-)
Old 09-20-2018, 01:11 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
The very "study" you gave supporting the supplement in question is funded by a company in the industry that sells the supplement. Using the AHA/Big Pharma logic, how can you believe this situation is any different?

Again, who can you trust? As I said before, you can always find a study that either supports a drug/supplement or one that shows they don't work.

As for your doctor making suggestions, could it be that he's right in making the suggestion? Obviously, we each need to make our own decisions based on our own research, but if you can't trust your doctor, or for that matter the research you've read due to conflicts of interest, then I guess at some point you've just got to make a decision based on gut feel.
Yes, I saw your post on the turmeric study being funded by a maker of natural plant-based ingredients, and I'm glad you pointed that out, as I had missed it. I agree with you that it is difficult to find studies that are completely unbiased, though there are some out there. In any case, I'm not too concerned about turmeric being risky to take, as it's a spice that people have used for at least a few thousand years. I've concluded that it might have some benefits for me, so I take it, but everyone is free to make up their own mind about stuff like that.

In the case of my doc's suggestion to take a statin, I am 100% comfortable in my decision not to take one with my blood test results. I've done all the research on statins and also on the most reliable blood test indicators of cardiac health (total cholesterol is not among them, by the way). With my triglyceride/HDL ratio being where it is, for example, my chances of having a heart attack within the next decade is nil. And there are other indicators I look at as well, such as LDL, CRP, fasting glucose, HbA1C, fasting insulin. All of those things are quite good, in my case. The only thing supposedly too high is total cholesterol. And less than half of all people that have heart attacks have high cholesterol. So.........there is no way I am going to take a statin.

You are right that I don't always trust my doctor (obviously). But, I go to him anyway once a year, as I want to get my bloodwork done, so I can see how I am doing. If I could find a functional/integrative health doctor around here, I would go to him/her in a minute, but I live in a rural area and there are none of them very close to me. I keep looking for a doctor close to me who I can put my full trust in, but so far I have not been able to find one. I'm not really surprised by that, as most docs are forced to work within a system that is basically rigged in favor of Big Pharma and insurance. That's why I always do my own research when I get my blood test results, and also why I won't take any prescription drug or supplement until I do my own research on them, either. I'm not a doctor, but it's my body and my life, and I'm not going to put anything into it or have any procedure done on it unless/until I am perfectly comfortable that it's the right thing to do.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #74

Quote:
So am I. Unfortunately that has little to do with what I said.
Yeah, actually it was a direct and exact response.

Quote:
See above. Nobody knows what caused his luekemia. Again, a complete misreading what I said.

I didn't just make up the 'radiation-induced' part - almost every reference I can find mentioned that. Also, you know what does *not* cause leukemia? Diet. It's not part of any known cause. Stating that *anyone* gets leukemia from diet is just making stuff up.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:11 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

I put a scant tsp of powdered turmeric in my smoothie most days. Also add 20 grinds of black pepper and a 1" knob of ginger. Pain in my knees has improved dramatically.
PointBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:43 PM   #76
Confused about dryer sheets

I suggest you do some research on Dr. Greger's site nutritionfacts.org. This is a non-profit site with articles based on science (instead of anecdotal or those with lots of expertise in negative responses). I don't have any relationship with this site, but find the scientific approach to be the best/only way to make health decisions. Good luck!
workforce dropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Turmeric works well, but sometimes it isn't the joint but the tendons that surround it that are hurting. Try a combo supplement of magnesium and calcium - they must be taken together. If you are in significant pain, you will know within just a few hours if it is helping or not.
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:34 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

My internist said to give turmeric a try, but my gastroenterologist vetoed it, saying that my kidney stones would come back with a vengeance! Turmeric has an extremely-high amount of oxalic acid.
catii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:26 PM   #79

Regarding Oxalic acid. I believe spinach, Swiss chard, beet root leaves, etc.. they all have it, not just turmeric. This is why I don’t eat a lot of them either.

Here is a list of foods high in oxalic acid.
https://nutrineat.com/oxalic-acid-foods-list
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:32 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

There IS an answer for that. You'll just need an inexpensive prescription for Potassium Citrate, at the dosage of 1080 mg. It took my kidney stones from 3 or 4 a year, to zero since I started taking it 11 years ago. But I still stay away from the really-high oxalic acid foods! Turmeric, beets, spinach, & kiwi fruit are at the top of that list.
catii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tumeric