Join Early Retirement Today

Unemployment may raise risk of heart attack but retirement not linked
Old 11-20-2012, 05:29 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Unemployment may raise risk of heart attack but retirement not linked

Interesting findings. Heart attack risk increases with each job loss, but "retirement poses no increased risk of heart attack".

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ws+-+Flipboard)
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I can understand this. Needing a job to pay the bills and not having one would be very stressful. My health (BP esp.) is way better now after 6 years of retirement. I dislike anything that gets in the way of me doing exactly what I want to do, when I wanna do it now...
Old 11-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been unemployed for 13 of the last 16 months. I have less stress and sleep better than I have in 15 years. I'm not FI but don't NEED to find work immediately. I can see where things would be different for a family who lives paycheck to paycheck and then loses their paycheck.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

More than a few mornings running for the train made me feel like I was going to have a heart attack (or at least vomit). Glad I don't have to deal with any of that crap since I ERed 4 years ago.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

From the article:
People who are jobless at some point during their lifetime because they were laid off, fired or quit may be at an increased risk of having a heart attack after age 50, finds a study out Monday.
Note that this means that a young person who has the above job-related stress may have heart problems later in life after the age of 50. It is a latent problem that may not manifest immediately.

It just so happened that I saw an article saying Sweden unemployment of young people under 25 being as high as 25%. I did not know Swedish youth unemployment rivaled that of Spain. Of course Greece's number is worse.

Will anyone remember to check the statistics 25 to 30 years from now? If this theory is true, these European countries will have an epidemic problem ahead of them.

PS. I remembered a statistics on nations' happiness level, which showed Scandinavian countries' rankings being fairly high. So, I checked again, and indeed Sweden ranked #5. How could that be, if its young people are jobless? These two facts seem so contradictory.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the info Doc!
Old 11-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Lowest point in my life came in 1966... three children under 7 years,. and resigned a management position without having another job. Just bought a house using all available cash for down payment, and because of resigning... no unemployment.
Came home from tenth interview (no results), and found DW crying because she dropped and broke a gallon of milk.
I think I can understand.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote